Flights Booked! :-) Flirted with a cheapo but went for Singapore..

benthomas010

Thats our one way flights to Oz booked for March next year!

China Eastern flights at nearly £200 per person less were so tempting... as were China Southern at around £50 less per person.. if I was travelling alone, definitely would have suffered the Chinese, but with a wife and kids in tow it had to be Singapore. :-)

Can't wait to start our new life in Melbourne.

China Eastern flights at nearly £200 per person less were so tempting... as were China Southern at around £50 less per person.. if I was travelling alone, definitely would have suffered the Chinese, but with a wife and kids in tow it had to be Singapore. :-)

So exciting isn't it! We booked ours for April last month can't wait for our new adventure (:

It is, and its a relief that its finally booked, dates fixed, nothing changing now. We have changed our leave dates a few times - backwards and forwards, even changed destination a few times.

Now we can stop religiously looking at Skyscanner every weekend lol. From now on it will just be AirBnB until that's booked :-)

Did you know you can get an extra 10kg of luggage allowance each as a migrating family with Singapore Airlines. You need to get in touch with them directly about it and produce a confirmation email at the airport but that extra 10kg could be really useful x

Yeah, I don't blame you for not wanting to add another flight into the equation. The fewer stops the better.

I chose a night flight so that we get to fly on an A380 not a 777 as it is a long sector, I'm sure I will regret that on the day when I'm waiting around until 10pm to fly but hey ho! lol. Just hope my daughter sleeps as much on this flight as she did this year on the way to Indonesia.

Did you know you can get an extra 10kg of luggage allowance each as a migrating family with Singapore Airlines. You need to get in touch with them directly about it and produce a confirmation email at the airport but that extra 10kg could be really useful x

Yeah, I am going to give them a call about that. Not sure if we will get them or not as we have already validated our visas but its definitely worth asking.

What sort of costs did you get, as we are going to be about that time also possibly April, we are family of 6 (Kids 15/5/3/2yrs), we are heading to Melbourne also.

Cheers MT

What sort of costs did you get, as we are going to be about that time also possibly April, we are family of 6 (Kids 15/5/3/2yrs), we are heading to Melbourne also.

Cheers MT

Hi, with Singapore we paid £570 for adults, and £430 for my daughter which I thought was very reasonable, these prices are available via Sky Scanner - it was quite a lot more expensive to book direct with the airline and the only difference I can see is that we don't have the option to booking a stopover in Singapore, not that we wanted to. I had seen

Another family moving to Melbourne hey. Exciting times :-) Can't wait to get there and start the job search and crack on with life. Good Luck :-) Maybe there will be a PomsInMelbourne meet one day lol.

I have booked ours with Singapore for January. Pleased to hear their ok! Can't wait now.. Exciting. Good luck

Yeah they are fine. Tbh there's very little between any of the big Asian or Middle East airlines.

Once on the plane apart from the choice of food you would do well to distinguish between Singapore, Malaysia, Garuda, Etihad, Emirates or Qatar. All perfectly good.

Edited by benthomas010

Argh I wish I had known this! My poor mum still has draws of my clothes at home because I couldnt bring them over with me/couldnt bare to throw them away!! .. that extra 10kg would have been SO useful!!

Nothing wrong with China Eastern - with excellent food and not stingy with drinks. Never flown with China Southern but imagine they would be just the same. Seats in economy are seats in economy, regardless of the airline.

• 5 weeks later...

You can only get 10kg if your visa isn't activated. I emailed them the other day as I booked my flight for April and this is what I got back:

Thank you for your email.

Kindly note, if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London you will then be entitled to our migrant baggage allowance (i.e. 40 kilos per seat paying passenger)

This baggage allowance will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used.

You can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed your total checked allowances

No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and safety requirement

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 30 kilos per seated passenger.

Hope this helps!

Danielle