one way flights!!

trevnod

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the forum already. Been looking for decently priced one way flights from the UK to Perth towards the end of the year (maybe October ish) and don't seem to be having much luck. I was able to book a return flight (for a holiday) for around £560 last month which I though was great. When I look for one way tickets I get around about the same price or more.

Now we all know that returns works out the best financially for us but c'mon, surely there's decent prices out there somewhere?! Don't think it helps that the Tory government in Britain charges too much in tax to leave our own country! mad.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the forum already. Been looking for decently priced one way flights from the UK to Perth towards the end of the year (maybe October ish) and don't seem to be having much luck. I was able to book a return flight (for a holiday) for around £560 last month which I though was great. When I look for one way tickets I get around about the same price or more.

Now we all know that returns works out the best financially for us but c'mon, surely there's decent prices out there somewhere?! Don't think it helps that the Tory government in Britain charges too much in tax to leave our own country! mad.gif

You do realise that it was a Labour Government that implemented the APD.

And you do realize that fares from Aus are considerably higher!

It actually pays to get a return, you never know when you might need it and if you don't then you can (often) cash in the tax component!

You do realise that it was a Labour Government that implemented the APD.

Actually it wasn't, it was Conservative in 1994. Although it was just five pounds back then and it increased exponentially through the Labour government of 1997-2010, but both parties have retained it. I have no idea why somebody wanted to make some stupid political point on a thread about flights. I thought that earlier, that is why I didn't bother replying.

Skyscanner- don't rule out returns - they will be almost the same and you never know could be cheaper if you choose a ghastly return route back (40 HR stopover etc). Early Nov possibly cheaper than Oct. Dec will kill you. You could just ask Flightcentre to search for you. I have always found them very helpful in the past.

It actually pays to get a return, you never know when you might need it and if you don't then you can (often) cash in the tax component!

What do you mean by that Quoll? I have the return leg of my flight that I'm not going to be able to use (need to use by July this year which isn't going to happen unfortunately).

Actually it wasn't, it was Conservative in 1994. Although it was just five pounds back then and it increased exponentially through the Labour government of 1997-2010, but both parties have retained it. I have no idea why somebody wanted to make some stupid political point on a thread about flights. I thought that earlier, that is why I didn't bother replying.

Strange it looks like you did bother replying. And in great detail.

find the cheapest you can and then phone Flight Centre. They promise to beat any guenuine fare or it free. We booked 2 one way flights to Melbourne leaving mid October on Malaysian for £398 each. Only a 2.5 hour stop in Kuala lumpur.

You could just ask Flightcentre to search for you. I have always found them very helpful in the past.

Flight Centre are consistently expensive. If they give you a quote, search on the airline's website and you will invariably get the same flight much cheaper by booking it yourself.

find the cheapest you can and then phone Flight Centre. They promise to beat any guenuine fare or it free.

Also a bad move. If you need to change anything on the flight Flight Centre will add a surcharge over and above the airline's charge. Plus you will find you cannot select your seats or manage your booking in any normal way because Flight Centre own the booking. I think there are also surcharges if you need to claimon any insurance with a Flight Centre booked flight.

Seriously - Flight Centre - avoid like the plague.

Edited by Quinkla

Flight Centre are consistently expensive. If they give you a quote, search on the airline's website and you will invariably get the same flight much cheaper by booking it yourself.

Not on your Nelly, they beat my best quote with online comparisons and direct airline. £395 one way to Melbourne. If thats not cheap i dont know what is. In addition to this it also helps if your good at haggling.

Not on your Nelly, they beat my best quote with online comparisons and direct airline. £395 one way to Melbourne. If thats not cheap i dont know what is. In addition to this it also helps if your good at haggling.

The Flight Centre business model requires the customer to have found the cheapest price, print out details, come to their office and they will then beat the price by a single dollar. If you go in without knowing the prices, they will offer you something much more expensive that you could get cheaper elsewhere. They rely on customers assuming (incorrectly) that because FC will beat any quote, that they will also offer the cheapest prices when they are asked to quote. Their former advertising campaing (guaranteed cheapest prices) was banned by the ACCC for being misleading.

Also worth noting that Flight Centre were fined $11 million for attempted price fixing: http://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/11-million-penalties-imposed-on-flight-centre. He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon.

Edited by Quinkla

The Flight Centre business model requires the customer to have found the cheapest price, print out details, come to their office and they will then beat the price by a single dollar. If you go in without knowing the prices, they will offer you something much more expensive that you could get cheaper elsewhere. They rely on customers assuming (incorrectly) that because FC will beat any quote, that they will also offer the cheapest prices when they are asked to quote. Their former advertising campaing (guaranteed cheapest prices) was banned by the ACCC for being misleading.

Here in the UK they seem to be able to offer flights for free if they cant beat your quote. In my case they did everything over the phone and searched my cheapest quote online while i waited. This resulted in them giving me £35 off each ticket. So at the end of the day i was happy with the price, i didnt really need to do much persuading.

Here in the UK they seem to be able to offer flights for free if they cant beat your quote.

They say this in Australia too, but it is meaningless rubbish. There is no prospect of a free flight. You have to give them details of the cheap fare (Ts and Cs say a print out of the final booking page of a website) and then they will decide whether they will (a) beat the quote by a dollar or (b) give you the flight for free. Now what do you think are the chances they will choose option (b)? Their strategy is to make people think they are the cheapest travel agent and might even give you free flights by use of these meaningless slogans - and then gouge anyone who doesn't properly understand the deal. And even if you do get them to beat a quote, you lose out big-time on flexibility.

Here in the UK they seem to be able to offer flights for free if they cant beat your quote. In my case they did everything over the phone and searched my cheapest quote online while i waited. This resulted in them giving me £35 off each ticket. So at the end of the day i was happy with the price, i didnt really need to do much persuading.

They do the same here in OZ, but in reality they are never going to give you a free ticket, they will just beat it by the 1.

I have used Flight Center price beater twice now, first time was $10, the last time (flying out on Friday) was $1, but for this one we used 'Best Jet' as they also have no credit card charge and Flight center matched that too, and got our seats booked on the A380 upstairs, at no charge too.

The knack is to do your research on line beforehand and not only for price but for airlines, timings, plane types, seating, entertainment etc.

They say this in Australia too, but it is meaningless rubbish. There is no prospect of a free flight. You have to give them details of the cheap fare (Ts and Cs say a print out of the final booking page of a website) and then they will decide whether they will (a) beat the quote by a dollar or (b) give you the flight for free. Now what do you think are the chances they will choose option (b)? Their strategy is to make people think they are the cheapest travel agent and might even give you free flights by use of these meaningless slogans - and then gouge anyone who doesn't properly understand the deal. And even if you do get them to beat a quote, you lose out big-time on flexibility.

You really dont like Flight Centre with a passion! Rather like my dislike of all realestate agents.

You really dont like Flight Centre with a passion! Rather like my dislike of all realestate agents.

Their value proposition is outdated. Before the internet, they had access to pricing and scheduling information that was not available to the public; they had direct contacts to airlines and could put together packages with travel and accommodation that would have taken a customer months to organise themselves.

Now, it is possible for customers to research everything for themselves and if a customer does not do this, the travel agent will rip them off something rotten. Then the travel agent will simply book online using the same system that the customer could have used himself, but in the process the customer loses ownership of the booking.

At best, the agent is simply not adding any value (the time spent dealing with an agent is worth more than the dollar they might undercut); and at worst they are taking a lot of value away by booking people into flights and hotels that are not the best value, but which offer the agent the best commission. My experience with Flight Centre was that they overquoted (twice); told me once that a flight was not available yet for booking and to come back nearer the flight date (I simply booked online with the airline instead) and when asked to price match (once) they got argumentative and kept pointing out ways I was not complying with their Ts and Cs.

As for estate agents, I suspect their days could well be numbered too. They are basically a very expensive form of advertising.

If Realestate.com allowed non agents to advertise their property I assume they would already be dead. All you would need to do is hold an opening take a few snaps and let the lawyer do the rest after you have agreed a price. I don't see any value they add in today's world for 90% of transactions.