Singapore airlines

Racheyleigh

Hello all :) just wanted to know peoples experiences of flying with Singapore airlines. Thinking of booking my flights to Oz through them, I've had a look at their website at the entertainment section and there's not really much in the way of movies to keep me entertained :( I know that's not the be all and end all of a flight as long as the rest of it had some good opinions! Thanks guys x

I've never flown with them, but I've heard nothing but good things. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about them.

My brother is flying out with them in September. 3 days after booking his flight, they phoned us up to explain there was going to be a change of aircraft and that his seat had been changed. I thought that was pretty good of them. I've never heard of that sort of service from anyone else.

Having said that, I've just flown out to Oz with Emirates and they were exceptional.

Chuck them into the search feature on here and you'll find great feedback. There may be the odd negative.

Never fly with anyone else tbh. Love Changi for the connecting flight, use the pool there for a swim and heaps more to do. Never found the in flight films to be lacking myself. Plus it changes constantly so depending on when you fly and what movies were out a few months before. If you book a night flight chances are you' conk out for a good portion of the flight anyway. Or if travelling with small kids it's rare to even get chance to watch one entire film, let alone multiple ;)

If you're going Cattle class, it's always a bit grim. I choose Singapore as they make the best of it, have great entertainment IMO and the food is OK too. The flight attendants always seem cheerful and helpful - must be such a difficult job. Mostly so I can stop at Changi and take a break at the Transit hotel or just lounge around in the waiting rooms. Free WiFi too. I also use the silly leg massagers but you never know whose legs have been in them!!

Firstly, (and this offer often extends).. you can get $40 per person to spend at the airport...

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/promotions/transit-promotion.jsp

Secondly, check the planes which you are flying on. Ideally you would get the double decker A380 and if you book early enough (and direct with SA) you can choose economy seats upstairs. Upstairs is all business class etc apart from the back few rows which makes economy really quiet. You can also choose to add the extra legroom seats for about £55 each total across the 2 flights so you have no seat in front of you. You can also pay about £45 (memory) for a stopover at Singapore where they provide a shuttle to and from a hotel for an overnight sleep. Alternatively, you can pay about the same to stay at the airport Transit hotel. The Changhi airport in Singapore even has a free cinema, pool etc.

We flew with them in 2010 and I would recommend them. Within 48 hours of our flight I went online to reallocate our seats so that we were all sat together. The cabin crew regularly came round with refreshments, something that we didn't experience on our flight with Qantas.

Firstly, (and this offer often extends).. you can get $40 per person to spend at the airport...

http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/promotions/transit-promotion.jsp

Secondly, check the planes which you are flying on. Ideally you would get the double decker A380 and if you book early enough (and direct with SA) you can choose economy seats upstairs. Upstairs is all business class etc apart from the back few rows which makes economy really quiet. You can also choose to add the extra legroom seats for about £55 each total across the 2 flights so you have no seat in front of you. You can also pay about £45 (memory) for a stopover at Singapore where they provide a shuttle to and from a hotel for an overnight sleep. Alternatively, you can pay about the same to stay at the airport Transit hotel. The Changhi airport in Singapore even has a free cinema, pool etc.

Please be aware that Singapore have at least 2 configurations for their A380, one has the 60 or so economy upstairs the other is all business, I believe also that the A380 only fly's out of London (not Manchester or the like). So you do need to check which flight is which. We have changed our flight timings (day and/or time of day) to get the seats upstairs flight, I would also advise that they did change planes on us once too, and ended up down stairs, and luckily we only found out by chance a couple of days before the flight, I was just checking our booking on the net and our seat numbers were no longer showing, I called them up they advised that the plane had been changed on asking what seats we had they then gave us separate seats, though I did get this sorted but it just goes to show that maybe Singapore is not all it's cracked-up to be afterall.

Agree booking direct with Singapore (over the phone) gives you better real-time info on the plane and seat availability, I do have 'Seat Guru' open at time of booking to check on any seating offered.

I've flown with Singapore, Cathay Pacific and Malaysia and found Singapore the best. I always use them now and my son flies with them all the time on his own now as an Unaccompanied Minor. I wouldn't use another airline. Plus, Changi airport has to be one of the best in the world, it's beautiful.

Valid points. I guess anything can go wrong.

We paid extra for the better seats and those seats are now "guaranteed". So hopefully we will be ok. Both of our legs have upstairs economy and you can see the seat before paying. :)

Believe me there is no 'guarantee' technical and operational are two of their get out clauses, but must admit it is unusual with Singapore. We like the layout of the two window seats upstairs, they have the little storage cupboard next to the window, makes the whole seat roomier. We have not paid extra for the upstairs seats with Singapore (yes with Malaysia) and the leg room, with the new design seats is not a problem (me 6'2") so do not bother with the door seats.

We flew with them in an A380 in 2012 to Australia for a holiday. Found them great all round. Even on one of our flights they had us on separate seats from our kids, they realized when we booked in, apologized and changed it . My eldest (aged 9 at the time) loved the attention from the lovely ladies and kept pressing the attendant button.....

BA do have a very reasonable extra bag policy though, so for £55 you could take a second bag, total 46kg.

For this don't you have to fly the entire route on BA planes? Not codeshares? If so not many BA flights go all the way direct anymore iirc. Only really into Sydney a few times a week. If its codeshares also then it seems to have changed as last I looked it was direct only.

My dad has flown Qantas, Emirates, BA and Singapore and rates Singapore the best. We thought they were great when we migrated to Aus.

Between Aus and UK via the Asian route we have flown Qantas, Singapore, Cathay, Malaysian, Swiss (code share to Asia) and Thai, Singapore is the only one that I have had any real hiccups with but I would still call then my preferred airline, followed by Malaysian, Cathay, Thai, Swiss and lastly Qantas this is based on price/timings/service/comfort/facilities and airports. Emirates and Etihad have usually failed on the price, but this is probably down to the time of year we fly, my parents have flown both (we paid and got good prices then) and they have no problems with them.

As an aside, when we emigrated in 1999, Malaysian was the only one that gave us double baggage allowance others gave diddly squat, and we were allround very impressed with them.

Flown with them 5 times and Ethiad once. Singapore are great, clean, efficient polite and great with kids/babies too.

The time before last we flew with them outr son was a baby and when they brought the food around they could see we had a baby on our lap so they asked us if we would like them to keep one meal warm for us while the other one ate and then they would bring either my wife or me a fresh/hot meal....its little things like that. BA or Virgin have NEVER done that!

Changi airport is also great, great place for a stop over too. If we have a short overnight stop there we stay at the crowne plaza at changi airport, great hotel and we requested a run way view with floor to ceiling windows, our boys were in their element, must have kept them entertained for hours! Flights on that runway stop at 10pm and dont start until 6am which is great for sleeping too.

Can recommend them highly enough.

Edited by wattsy1982