Etihad - extra baggage

owabm

Guest The Pom Queen

I've moved your thread to the flights section. I haven't heard that they do but I could be wrong. Singapore Airlines seem to be the main ones who do.

I checked this with both Singapore and Emirates this week.

Both have a standard 30kg in Economy.

Singapore said that they offer an additional 10kg as a "migrant baggage allowance" but only if (a) you have a permanent residency visa and (b) if you have not already travelled on it before. For us, this was useless, as we went out to Australia for two weeks to activate our visa, and are now doing the one-way trip permanently - but because we already went out for the two weeks, we're now not eligible for the extra allowance. Seems a bit of an odd way to offer it, but that's how they work it.

Emirates only offer an additional allowance - of 20kg, I think he said on the phone, taking it up to 50kg total - if you open an account with ANZ. I believe you have to do this before you book the flight, and then use a special link provided by ANZ to book the flight with. I confess I didn't listen too hard to the details as I already have an account with someone else in Australia and don't want to open an ANZ account just for this purpose, so this also was of no use to us.

So it looks as if we're stuck with the 30kg limit each. Which is a pain, but perhaps it's fate's way of making sure I don't do myself a mischief trying to carry too much stuff!

Well, not really, they could perfectly well take my passport number when they provide the offer, and then make sure that that passport number has not made use of the offer before. Or they could take my name and date of birth and give me a one-time-only-use promotion code to use when booking on their website, and make sure that that name/dob combination is never granted another code. Or probably other similar options.

Still, it's not as if anyone else offers this at all, so it's not a complaint at Singapore airlines - it just seems it'd be just as easy for them to make the same offer a little more useful, and it's a shame they don't do that. But it's nice of them to do anything at all.

Well, not really, they could perfectly well take my passport number when they provide the offer, and then make sure that that passport number has not made use of the offer before. Or they could take my name and date of birth and give me a one-time-only-use promotion code to use when booking on their website, and make sure that that name/dob combination is never granted another code. Or probably other similar options.

Still, it's not as if anyone else offers this at all, so it's not a complaint at Singapore airlines - it just seems it'd be just as easy for them to make the same offer a little more useful, and it's a shame they don't do that. But it's nice of them to do anything at all.

Exactly, it's a goodwill gesture on their part. They've implemented it in a way that causes them to incur minimal costs...it's hard to make a business case to spend money to implement something more technical that generates no revenue for the airline.