travel money etc

bwatt99

anyone recommend where i can get some travel money for wife and bub when going to uk,somewhere that offers good exchange rate or is there any sort of travel card that can be purchased and loaded with money that can be used in in the uk or while traveling,if so would need to be able to get it right away.

I suppose there might be places online where money can be ordered but needs to be in hand injust over a week.

• 1 month later...

You can get those travel cards from your bank, post office and travel agents that have currency facilities, they are instant issue I believe, though you may not get the best exchange rates they are ok as a quick fix. Load them up with UK pounds before you go and remember ATM fees will apply so the larger withdrawals the less number of fees. If you get the card from your bank and you have internet banking then you can top the card up from anywhere anytime (this may apply to others too but not too sure, good to ask I suppose).

I personally have had problems with these, nothing really major just a lot of annoying spoil your holiday a little things, as you are only putting on one currency then it should be fine. But if the ATM asks if you want converting from Aus$ or pounds then do not press the Aus$ as it will charge you exchange fees if you do (even though you only have pounds on the card).

I've been in the habit of using my UK Visa Debit card to pay for various goods and services in Australia. (I have rent and pensions in the UK paid into this account.) I just paid a large sum out - 3000 GBP and was charged over 80 pounds, so I think it's time for me to start transfering sums to my Aussie bank account.

If you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer, your card has a travel money card built in for 10 currencies.

I'll probably try this next time I go overseas as well as another card that is free of international currency fees, such as 28 Degrees Mastercard.

If you are a Qantas Frequent Flyer, your card has a travel money card built in for 10 currencies.

I'll probably try this next time I go overseas as well as another card that is free of international currency fees, such as 28 Degrees Mastercard.

I AM a QFF, and I did know that! Thanks! Do you mean my Visa card? ANZ has just cancelled mine due to a fraud scare and I'm waiting for a new one to be issued.

Forget about Qantas Cash...exchange rates are terrible and if you have to transact in a currency not on their list the fees will really mount up.

The only solution you need for cash is Citibank Plus. I use this as my every day bank account but you could use it just for travelling if you like.

https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm

Citibank charges no fees for overseas ATM withdrawals regardless of which bank you use and the exchange rates are fantastic - there is virtually no difference between mid market rate you'd see on xe.com and what Citibank gives you...there is no hidden 3% charge. There are no monthly fees for this account.

It means you can withdraw GBP10 from the ATM, if that's all you need, without having a large percentage ATM fee on top.

There are some countries where the local banks do charge a fee, USA and Thailand spring to mind, but you would also pay these fees if withdrawing with Qantas Cash...if you can find a Citi ATM there will be no fees at all in these countries.

This is the ideal compliment to 28 degrees...this card for cash and 28 degrees for credit card transactions.

Qantas Cash has one valid application...that's locking in an exchange rate that you think is going to fall later, that's all really. You'd have to really want the points to tolerate the poor exchange rates.

Edited by bcworld

I've been in the habit of using my UK Visa Debit card to pay for various goods and services in Australia. (I have rent and pensions in the UK paid into this account.) I just paid a large sum out - 3000 GBP and was charged over 80 pounds, so I think it's time for me to start transfering sums to my Aussie bank account.

We have our UK visa debit card (still have a UK bank account and a pension goes in there) but we only use it when buying things in the UK. You would be wasting a lot of money in fees and exchange rates by using it for foreign (Aus) purchases, far better that you transfer lump sums either through your banks or via some other transfer companies, some of which have been mentioned on this forum previously.

We have our UK visa debit card (still have a UK bank account and a pension goes in there) but we only use it when buying things in the UK. You would be wasting a lot of money in fees and exchange rates by using it for foreign (Aus) purchases, far better that you transfer lump sums either through your banks or via some other transfer companies, some of which have been mentioned on this forum previously.

Yes I know that I've been dumb. What happened previously was that my income was so small, that I was using my UK SMILE Visa Debit all the time, and using the 500 pound overdraft almost every month (very low charges from Smile for this) and even dumber (dumb and dumber?) using my ANZ credit card as a cash card, and paying minimum amounts off to boot.

I've got my act together since I've had regular work, and another pension has kicked in since I turned 60. That 80 quid charge was a shock! I have some more bills to pay related to that too - private hospital fees - and this time, I'm waiting until both pension and rent go in for the month, which should be over 1000 quid, then I will transfer it to my Aussie account, then pay the bill.

Thanks for advice!

I had an income of about $300 per week, with no rent or mortgage to pay, and every so often I would sell some shares or transfer some more money from the UK to pay my bills.

Now, my income is closer to $500 per week, with the new pension, maybe a bit more as the GBP has gone up a bit. When I'm working, I don't touch the UK money and it builds up in the account.

• 1 month later...
Guest rikimilton

UK visa debit card to pay for various goods and services, but this only use it when buying things in the UK. If you get the card from your bank and you have internet banking then you can top the card up from anywhere anytime.