Cheap flights back to UK

sgoxon

Been in Oz a year now and by and large, we (wife and 3 children) are all loving it. We are missing family and friends a lot and this is exacerbated by my Mum having been diagnosed with a heart condition and my brother-in-law having a serious and un-treatable brain tumour. Sometimes, you feel a long, long way away. Hence looking at the cheapest way of getting back to the UK for us and our 3 kids for a visit. Can anyone recommend who to approach for cost effective tickets to get us back? Can't be doing with long stopovers, too many changes - kids are young enough to be told what to do, but old enough to be very grumpy!

Depends on when you want to go too, the cheapest would be by trying to use budget airlines but usually mean long stop-overs and several flights and you have rightly ruled that out. Malaysia Airlines (seriously) may have some cheap ones coming out for obvious reasons, we flew with them at Christmas no problem.

We have also, especially at xmas time, flown around the world and this was cheaper than the direct option as it was a year round one price fare, even got on flights which were booked up when looking at the direct flights:confused:.

Suggest you trawl the web sites and see what's about and when.

Good luck and wish your family well.

As an aside and an example of how crazy air fare pricing is, I was looking at prices Brisbane to Los Angeles which were around the $2000 mark, but I could fly to Miami Florida for $300 less and still be on the same LA flights:wacko:

Been in Oz a year now and by and large, we (wife and 3 children) are all loving it. We are missing family and friends a lot and this is exacerbated by my Mum having been diagnosed with a heart condition and my brother-in-law having a serious and un-treatable brain tumour. Sometimes, you feel a long, long way away. Hence looking at the cheapest way of getting back to the UK for us and our 3 kids for a visit. Can anyone recommend who to approach for cost effective tickets to get us back? Can't be doing with long stopovers, too many changes - kids are young enough to be told what to do, but old enough to be very grumpy!

Don't assume stopovers are a bad thing. Look for an airline that offers free accommodation during your stopover. Kids (and adults) who have managed to have a sleep, or at least a shower and a rest, mid-flight are going to be much happier than if they've had to endure over 20 hours of non-stop flying.

I've flown with Emirates and really appreciated having six hours in a hotel, plus free dinner and breakfast. I arrived much fresher!

We flew with Royal Brunei, and if you can cope with no alcohol, which wasnt an issue with small children, as the last thing we wanted was to feel hungover at any point, then they are worth considering.

They are now flying 787's i believe, so comfy and spacious too!

I was looking to book a one way flight from UK to Sydney and trawled the web. One trick that worked for me in end was using UK expedia site not aussie one. I saved $300 and got on flights aussie Expedia site said were full. I have found Emirates to be very good not just on price but service and comfort as well. The extra legroom and newer planes does make a difference. Whatever way you do it there's still a long way to fly and stop overs can be the hard part especially with kids. One option could be airport lounges as they often have free showers and in most places now you can book them even if not a higher level frequent flyer or travelling business class

It's worth looking into flights with an overnight stop over in the airlines country. Japan air often do this. Short leg to Tokyo, night in a hotel as the airlines expense, then back to airport for long leg to UK. Hubby has done this before when flying Aus-UK-Aus. Saves some dollars.

Also booking when the early bookers come out in October (I forget the other months can save.

I was looking to book a one way flight from UK to Sydney and trawled the web. One trick that worked for me in end was using UK expedia site not aussie one. I saved $300 and got on flights aussie Expedia site said were full. I have found Emirates to be very good not just on price but service and comfort as well. The extra legroom and newer planes does make a difference. Whatever way you do it there's still a long way to fly and stop overs can be the hard part especially with kids. One option could be airport lounges as they often have free showers and in most places now you can book them even if not a higher level frequent flyer or travelling business class

You are meant to book from the country of your departure. So booking on a UK arm/site is standard practice. Flying AUS-UK you would book from the AUS site and generally that costs more.

Hey marisa. We regular emerates flyers but stop overs only ever a few hours can u some how deliberately choose a long stop over and get a free hotel?

You have to pick your flights. If the stopover is longer than a certain time (I think it's 6 hours) they have to give you accommodation, so look for the ones with a longer break.

You have to pick your flights. If the stopover is longer than a certain time (I think it's 6 hours) they have to give you accommodation, so look for the ones with a longer break.
Are you sure? Is it not only if the airline delays the flight for a long time that they have to do this?

Are you sure? Is it not only if the airline delays the flight for a long time that they have to do this?

My hubby has taken numerous long haul flights with an overnight stopover as part of it included in the costs. They ferried him to the hotel and everything.

Asiana definitely do it with UK bound flights. I was booked Sydney to London via Seoul with them originally and as they only have 1 flight a day on each leg that don't connect I was getting a hotel but then I changed my trip length and the agent saved me a change fee by changing my airline to Emirates for free. Maybe the trick is an airline from Asia that only have one flight a day from your airport and one from their country to UK

I'm not sure it's a legal thing but I just had a look around and Qantas offers it if the wait time between connections is more than 8 hours. Malaysia Air and Royal Brunei used to be 6 hours. When I flew with Emirates it was 6 hours, but that was a couple of years ago. I guess the thing is if you don't ask, it may not be offered.

Try Royal Brunei