Cost of a holiday

Guest51810

So... As I mentioned flights to aus for around 600 next year. I know its a very general question but for a holiday what's the minimum backpackers go with for a few weeks? I'm just trying to work out if I can afford the cheap dates or wether I should just wait till a later date.

I'm happy to do things like go to the beach etc but I'd obviously like to do some touristy things that costs money

Some advice please!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you want to do? staying in a backpackers alone will cost $20-30 a night. Be a lot cheaper in say cairns than sydney, so depends where you want to go too.

Guest littlesarah

Personally, I reckon the WHV gives you the best chance to see and do a lot more. I know what you mean about worrying about finding work - I had those same concerns when I came 10 years ago, but even though it was a bit tricky at first, I found a good agency and scored some short-term assignments (which was what I wanted). I'd suggest that anyone who comes over on a WHV brings a contingency fund with them. I know, it's hard to save up for all of the costs, but for me it was definitely worth it.

I just like doing the usual things - beach, day trips etc. I don't drink that much really plus everybody says how expensive the booze is :laugh:

Not if you drink the backpacker drink of choice...Goon

If I had the money sitting there I'd go but for a few other reasons aswell I thought a holiday would of been a better choice right now

So London or Amsterdam off the agenda. Holiday in OZ ? I'd say forget it unless just for a couple of weeks unless....You can arrange to stay free for a good part of your trip. Folk seldom come purely for a holiday to Australia anymore, if not visiting relatives, friends, WHV or part of a tour group. Too expensive. Expensive air fares then expensive destination when you get there.

South East Asia would be far cheaper and chockers with back packers. Perfect and cheapish ground for the novice/.

So London or Amsterdam off the agenda. Holiday in OZ ? I'd say forget it unless just for a couple of weeks unless....You can arrange to stay free for a good part of your trip. Folk seldom come purely for a holiday to Australia anymore, if not visiting relatives, friends, WHV or part of a tour group. Too expensive. Expensive air fares then expensive destination when you get there.

South East Asia would be far cheaper and chockers with back packers. Perfect and cheapish ground for the novice/.

I nearly booked london recently but I stopped myself because I know the money could pay a good chunk of my aus flight.

Well there's helpx where you volunteer a few hours a day for your bed and food, I guess doing that for a week or two is a possibility. There's a few cool ones like wildlife centres etc

The price of hostels seem to be around 25, I didn't find that bad.. The hostels in london seemed to be around £25.

I have family in melbourne so if I was going there I'd pop by and see them for a few days

Personally, I reckon the WHV gives you the best chance to see and do a lot more. I know what you mean about worrying about finding work - I had those same concerns when I came 10 years ago, but even though it was a bit tricky at first, I found a good agency and scored some short-term assignments (which was what I wanted). I'd suggest that anyone who comes over on a WHV brings a contingency fund with them. I know, it's hard to save up for all of the costs, but for me it was definitely worth it.

How much extra would you say? I know the more the better but a rough amount

I nearly booked london recently but I stopped myself because I know the money could pay a good chunk of my aus flight.

Well there's helpx where you volunteer a few hours a day for your bed and food, I guess doing that for a week or two is a possibility. There's a few cool ones like wildlife centres etc

The price of hostels seem to be around 25, I didn't find that bad.. The hostels in london seemed to be around £25.

I have family in melbourne so if I was going there I'd pop by and see them for a few days

I'd imagine not great for $25. Depending how many in a dorm. Some better than others of course. Then you've got the flight on top of that. The dollar is going down and by the time you finally make up your mind to come or not may have sunk much lower. Making us all poorer any richer.

I would say that when I backpacked, I found myself wishing i'd spent longer in SE Asia and less in Oz. Money goes way further and there's more interesting things to see in my opinion.

I actually recently stayed in a backpackers in sydney, they are $40+ for a 4 bedder. Hard to get cheaper than $30 at all

Yeah the 25pn ones are for larger rooms but that's the same as the uk. I'd quite like to see asia, there's a few people from here who popped over to asia while on their whv but just for a few weeks. I really want to go to new zealand for a wee bit too. Ahh, better win the lottery I suppose!

So the general answer seems to be if I don't have loads of money for a holiday then I'm better holding off?

I would say that when I backpacked, I found myself wishing i'd spent longer in SE Asia and less in Oz. Money goes way further and there's more interesting things to see in my opinion.

I actually recently stayed in a backpackers in sydney, they are $40+ for a 4 bedder. Hard to get cheaper than $30 at all

That's what I'd have thought. Australia I'd suspect can only be a couple of weeks for young folk without working. OZ for work and SE Asia for interest and cheap fun I'd say. By the way that part of the world is raising prices seemingly every year as well.

Yeah the 25pn ones are for larger rooms but that's the same as the uk. I'd quite like to see asia, there's a few people from here who popped over to asia while on their whv but just for a few weeks. I really want to go to new zealand for a wee bit too. Ahh, better win the lottery I suppose!

So the general answer seems to be if I don't have loads of money for a holiday then I'm better holding off?

Depends what you mean by loads of money. All so if you want to cover a lot of ground or just a couple of states. Travel within OZ is expensive. I'd say at a Guess $10,000 for three months being careful but travelling as well as static might just cover it....That'll be with a few quiet weeks though and not to many nights out on the town.