Sedating or drugging children on flight?

Guest dannii28

Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?

• Yes
    • No

Guest dannii28

I think this will be an interesting debate!

So we will be making the move to Brisbane next year when my little boy will be aged 2. Now I have been researching ideas on how to cope with this long flight for my little boy, myself and also the other passengers sake.

today it is in the news about giving children medication such as anti sickness, anti histamines to sedate or drug them to sleep for the entire journey. This is something I would never have thought of.

Is anyone willing to admit they have done this or are any of you considering doing it?

and discuss....................:wink:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We flew when our son was smaller. Never once drugged him with anything to make him sleepy.

We just took the night flight out, were prepared and took his PJs and sleeping bag to put him into while we waited to board, got comfy on the plane and he was out like a light within half an hour of take off. Slept for 8.5 hours. Had a few hours on the ground in Changi airport (afternoon his body clock) so he could run round and wear himself out, got back on the night flight to Aus from Singapore (his body clock was telling him it was almost bedtime by then) and he fell asleep and slept for 4 hours of the 7 hour flight. Landed at 7am in the morning in Aus. Was fine.

Drugging them could mask other things being wrong. I'd never risk it. Don't see the need. Its part and parcel of travelling, kids, especially younger ones cannot be expected to sit quiet and watch the TV screen for hours on end. Like anything, you just go with the flow and ok, some people might get peed off at a kid making a bit of noise but honestly, we were all kids once. And we all have to get from A to B.

Absolutely not. I would not recommend sedation to any adult or child for a long haul flight. Everyone on such a flight should be maintaining healthy levels of fluid intake and moving regularly (to bathroom to void said fluid!) in order to reduce the risk of deep venous thrombosis.

It is not uncommon for kids to have paradoxical hyperactivity following anti histamine use. Allergies are a less common side effect.

It's a lottery with the kids and long haul flights. Our 3 year old had a ball with his inflight entertainment. Our 4 year old was largely OK, got a wee bit grumpy at Singapore for an hour or so.

I haven't done longer than a Florida flight from the UK when my children were little but no absolutely not no way no how I do not agree with it. There is no two ways about it travelling with small children is a nightmare for the parents and a nightmare for those around quite frankly but 20 odd hours out of your whole life is not the end of the world and no way should you drug your children unless they are ill or in pain.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Guest Bazinga

The eldest gets ridiculous travel sickness as do I. We both take strong meds that knock us out leaving dad to look after the terror toddler.

I have flown as cabin crew for 19 years....all long haul and would NOT recommend this both as a mum of 2 and a crew member. Its amazing the amount of times ive seen kids/adults become ill on flights. If your little one is unwell and drowsy with piriton or something similar it can be very difficult to figure out what is wrong with them. As mentioned before, it is all part of travelling and as daunting as it may seem, probably wont be as bad as you think. Take plenty of things to entertain and snacks. Walk about with him if he is restless. Dont worry about other passengers either. I love reminding "complainers" they used to be children themselves and probably are parents with older kids and a short memory!!

My kids love travelling now...im the one who cant still...too used to working 13 hour shifts! Enjoy and good luck!

I didn't know if you were talking about your own kids or other peoples. I say go for it, start them off on 5mg of diazepam, that should shut the little buggers up. Nothing pisses other passengers off more, is a 24 hour flight with whining children in their ear holes all the time.

If they are prone to travel sickness then yes but most travel sick meds are contra-indicated for under 2 these days (and perhaps older, it's a while since I checked). They used to reckon Phenergan but not nowadays. Having suffered (and still suffering) from travel sickness I would hate to subject anyone to that - however I would try out any travel sick med before I got anywhere near a plane because in some kids they could end up bouncing off the walls.

I was concerned about my granddaughter as she gets motion sickness but she was under 2 so there was nothing on offer and she was just fine, there and back.

Lol, there'll be no paradoxical stuff with that lump of Diazepam!

Indeed :swoon:

I would never do that and my kids are pretty active, at the end of the journey they are still running around and I am knocked out. You never know how your kid will react to meds and most importantly, drugging a kid for your or other passengers` convenience is unacceptable IMO.

Guest dannii28

I have just re read my first post and think it has come across as a serious consideration for us, good god it isnt!!

This came about After watching "this morning" where this was being discussed and i was surprised that a lot of people seemed to write in to agree with using medications such as these for long trips.

we have already planned endless secret toys to bring out as the interest is lost in the previous one lol

There was a dr on that said anti histamines usually cause hyperactivity rather than drowsiness, would love to see the parents with that reaction......... Karma? ?

but after talking to family and friends today it seems the older generations are the ones in agreement but they may have also been the ones dipping dummies in whiskey to sooth teething?? Hahaa

?

I wouldn't. I don't mind kids on planes, let's face it, it's a lot to ask for a child to sit still in a single chair for 24 hours. Last time I flew back, there was a child in front of me in the seat, and he did wind me up quite a lot. Not him, but his parents, watching their films whilst their child kept staring at me and trying to annoy me. That was annoying, I will admit. Still, not really his fault!

On both flights to and fro, though, there were children and I didn't hear any crying. I feel terrible for mothers who are given evil glares for their baby crying, like they can comfort the tiny being about such an unfamiliar upset to their routine.

To be honest I've travelled with my kids from when they were 1 to 12, and I've never had a problem with them. One of ours does get airsick, and we gave him some travel sickness pills. But I wouldn't want to dope them up. tbh they all fall asleep pretty easily on the plane.

An acquantinance of mine just flew from Brisbane to Ireland with her three kids 7 5 2.5 and her mother in law... Apparently her Brisbane gp prescribed her boy something ...don't know what.... I was appalled and felt it disgusting to do this to a child. Maybe it's the norm but she as up all night for a full week after arriving here as he was in oz .

Then only last week a friend of mine mentioned about giving my 3 year anti histamine for the flight...saying loads do...

not for me at all...and I have a busy boy...sorry all who are flying with me next sat lol.

Children should not be sedated for anyone's convenience, parents or fellow travellers! If children's crying annoys you, put your headphones on and listen to something else. Children's safety has to come before anything or anyone else!

I think this will be an interesting debate!

So we will be making the move to Brisbane next year when my little boy will be aged 2. Now I have been researching ideas on how to cope with this long flight for my little boy, myself and also the other passengers sake.

today it is in the news about giving children medication such as anti sickness, anti histamines to sedate or drug them to sleep for the entire journey. This is something I would never have thought of.

Is anyone willing to admit they have done this or are any of you considering doing it?

and discuss....................:wink:

Do be aware that sometimes medications have a paradoxical effect and you may end up with a very active/buzzing child. Personally, I wouldn't give my children any medications that weren't clinically indicated - that's not me being rightous, it's just not something that i'd do becasue there are risks with any medication. My hubby got a very severe reaction to an over the counter medication to the point we thought we might have to call an ambulance ... I'd be mortified if that happened to my child after giving them medication when there'd be no reason to give it them in the first place.

I am not sure if we would or would not to be honest.

When my mother travelled to the UK with us as children she gave my twin and I this medicine as prescribed by her GP. It had the opposite affect on both of us and we were hyperactive for a long time during the flight. My mother said it was the worst thing ever!

I am glad that most of you have no issue near children on a plane. Pity the man who was sat near us in the bulk head where the bassinettes were didnt feel the same. The whole flight he complained to us mothers about the noise the children were making and that the plane was 'not a playground' and they should sit and not move. It was awful to see this non stop abuse. HE is part the reason why mothers sedate their children. Its so bloody hard!

Drug the hell out of the liggle blighters - nothing worse than some screaming kid for 12 hours

If you have little kids, go on a road trip!

Drug the hell out of the liggle blighters - nothing worse than some screaming kid for 12 hours

If you have little kids, go on a road trip!

Ha Ha! I used to not have a problem with kids on flights as i sympathized with the parents on keeping them entertained and how the pressure hurt their ears etc... Its a big job and i understand it makes a 12 hour flight longer for families because of the added stress - However 2 years ago i had a screamer across the aisle from me who did nothing but the high pitched scream for the whole 13 hour flight, the parents left the child on the floor to scream while they watched films - It was horriffic!!!! Even the cabin crew came and tried to see if they could help but the parents said no and left it to it! I know this was probably an extreme case but from that day i will do anything not to be by children when flying that long even if it means paying more money for a bigger seat on an airline that doesn't allow children in certain areas - Amen to those airlines!!!!

I drug myself so why not the kids. I think flying especially long haul is a very arduous experience and if I could arrange for a child to have a good sleep on the plane then they are less likely to throw tantrums etc. I would be so embarrassed its not like they are on a train for a couple of bob, people are paying a lot of hard earned cash for the flight and deserve some respect, they are my children not theirs. That is how I would look at it. I would go to the docs like I always do before I flew and get something to help make the journey more palatable to me and my fellow travelers. Parents who think that other should put up with their children are misguided.