Super Funds -- Unit Trusts?

So I used to consider myself quite knowledgable when it came to UK financial planning after 5 years at an IFA. But now that I live in Perth, and I now have to pick a super fund, I'm finding it quite difficult to know where to look for genuinely good advice and pointers.

Back home I was used to thinking in terms of Unit Trusts, bonds, ISAs, SIPPs and Personal Pensions. For example, are there are any super funds like SIPPs; that invest using different types of wraps/products? Do we have a concept of multi-asset/multi-manager funds here, too - so that I can spread the risk?

Maybe I'm trying to project too much of what I'm used to onto this, but I figured it must be roughly the same in areas? I'm only just starting as well, so of course my investment focus is different to someone about to retire.

Any direction would be appreciated :)

Hi Peter

Yes Wraps/Platforms do exist here that are similar to Sipps, there are also multi-manager/multi asset funds available, it is also possible to DIY it through a Self-Managed Super Fund.

That said, if the new Super Fund you are looking to open will initially just have the contributions from your employer going in then it may just be worth taking the employers default option until such time as you have built up a meaningful balance.

If the Super Fund will be used for a lump contribution for example a UK Pension Transfer then it would be worthwhile taking advice on an appropriate product.

Kind regards

Andy

Hi Peter

Yes Wraps/Platforms do exist here that are similar to Sipps, there are also multi-manager/multi asset funds available, it is also possible to DIY it through a Self-Managed Super Fund.

That said, if the new Super Fund you are looking to open will initially just have the contributions from your employer going in then it may just be worth taking the employers default option until such time as you have built up a meaningful balance.

If the Super Fund will be used for a lump contribution for example a UK Pension Transfer then it would be worthwhile taking advice on an appropriate product.

Kind regards

Andy

Thanks Andy, it's good to know it's not all that different. I won't be pension transferring; I have all my holdings in cash now and will just re-invest. Regarding what you said about using the company nominated fund; I'm contracting just now -- does that change anything with regards to this? I only ask because the company fund isn't mentioned on any of the paperwork.