Sorry another GCSE question for Victoria

tasormelb

Hi - Sorry I know this subject comes up alot and from reading old posts I understood that GCSE's don't count in Australia. However reading the victoria education site it states that some overseas qualifications can be recognised and it quotes GCSE's as being recognised as equivalent to VCE units 1 and 2 (Yr 11) level.

Has anyone had experience of having GCSE's assessed? How long in yr 11 does it usually take to complete units 1 and 2?

Also do City Guilds exist in Australia as my son is hoping to acheive these in construction, motor mechanics and engineering.

Thanks

Vanessa

They don't have city and guilds here. Nearest thing would be the TAFE sector - Technical and Further Ed. I think there are some new rules for TAFE costs which are advantageous if you are under 20 years old. If more than that you have to pay more fees.Not sure how it would translate from the uK or if you would have to pay or not- probably you would, I am guessing. Year 11 is a bit lower than 1st year A levels and more like O level.Different states have different standards though- some are easier than others.

Hi - Sorry I know this subject comes up alot and from reading old posts I understood that GCSE's don't count in Australia. However reading the victoria education site it states that some overseas qualifications can be recognised and it quotes GCSE's as being recognised as equivalent to VCE units 1 and 2 (Yr 11) level.

Has anyone had experience of having GCSE's assessed? How long in yr 11 does it usually take to complete units 1 and 2?

Also do City Guilds exist in Australia as my son is hoping to acheive these in construction, motor mechanics and engineering.

Thanks

Vanessa

I don't think you find they assess the GCES's but some schools will accept them, especially if they are high grades and let them take only the final year of VCE ( units 3 and 4). It's only the 3,4 grades that actually count to the overall VCE score. The problem with doing this though ( our son, then 16 was given this option) is that you will be at a distinct disadvatage as the syllabuses will be very different and many students take at least one or two of their year 12 subjects in year 11 anyway to give them more time to concentrate on the final exams. If you opt for only year 12 you will not only have to settle into a new school, make new friends (who may be a year older) get used to a completely new system, but also do 6 subjects in one year when many of your peers have a lot of free periods to do assignments and revise. Our 16 year old considered all this and opted to do both years 11 and 12, he loved it, settled really well, took 2 year 12 subjects in year 11 and got a great ENTER score. He said it was the best two years education he'd had, and he'd previously been to a great school in the UK.

It's not an easy choice, but I would recommend doing both years and having a chance to enjoy your new life in Oz as well rather than making it a real struggle. Good luck. It will be worth it in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
Our 16 year old considered all this and opted to do both years 11 and 12, [snip]

It's not an easy choice, but I would recommend doing both years and having a chance to enjoy your new life in Oz as well rather than making it a real struggle.

I second what Cazi says above.

Having said that, if your child is really good in some subjects then depending on the subject chosen they could complete units 3&4 in Year 11.

My daughter will be doing Units 1 and 2 of Maths and French in year 10 and will be completing (units 3 & 4) the two in Year 11. In year 12 she will then complete only 3 subjects (including the mandatory English) plus one University extension program (instead of a sixth subject).

Good luck :)

Hi there my 18 year old twins are just completing courses at our local TAFE. They have a certificate system here- Cert 1 & 2 are like the pre- City & Guilds courses that some UK y10 & 11 do as a vocational option alongside GCSE. Cert 3& 4 are the 'tradie' recognised qualifications that may well lead directly into work or onto Apprenticeships. We have been impressed with the courses- you do have to pay but you get what you pay for.It was a huge relief actually and they look at any previous educational experiences when deciding if you are suitable for the course. The tutors turn up- there are course booklets. The expectations for the assignments are clear. They incorporate work experience and there are chances to re-submit work if it is not up to the standard required. The twins have enjoyed them- they are also fairly short so if your son is not a great book lover it is not dragged out at all. Hope this is helpful!