Help please,best time for kids in terms of school

Guest Pam D

Hi

I am new to this site, so apologies in advance if I haven't posted in the right place,way,etc.

I really could do with some advice.

My husband has just been granted his Australian citizenship (by descent) and we are in the process of applying for a partner visa for myself and our two kids(14 and 11)

We are going to Brisbane(which is where we plan to settle!) Easter 2010 to validate the visa and make plans to move,etc.

Originally we were looking at moving over after our eldest takes her GCSE's but realise now that the schooling system is totally different and GSCE's aren't recognised.

What I wondered was if she is 16 in Feb 2011 and we came after her GSCE's, say Summer 2011, what would happen regards her school...would she go into year 11 that year or would she wait until the following year?

If we decided to come over before her GCSE's, how does the school year work in terms of birthdays.? Would she be better not doing her GCSE's and coming over to join Year 11 at the start of 2011(when in affect she would still be 15) or would she then be in Year 10,in which case she may as well do her GCSE's and wait to join year 11 but then she will probably be the oldest in the year as she will be 17 the month after term starts:wacko:

I just feel it is so sad for her to have to go through all the stress of GCSE's for them not to count and wonder what is the best option.

I hope I am making sense as I am a little confused by the schooling system.:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Pam

Hi Pam

We are also a family with one of us Australian by descent and the others on spouse visas (PR). We are also heading to Queensland, but we are going to Gladstone.

All the education stuff has my head in a whirl. We are fortunate in that we are planning our move for January so that our 12 year old can start High School with his cohorts.

My gut feeling as I read your post was that it would be good for your daughter to go ahead and get her GCSEs. I realise they count for nothing in Oz, but they might come in handy if she ever came back. But as I re-read your post I realised that you were thinking of timing your move for 2011 just so that she can sit the exams.

In that case I feel that if you are ready to go in 2010, then just go. Forget about GCSEs. I guess it all depends on your other commitments, and how much you have to do before you move.

I am not sure if that's any help at all, but I wish you all the best as you make your decision.

What does your daughter think about it?

Yup, GCSEs are only of any use if you are thinking that at some stage she may need to continue her education in UK.

16 is a very tricky age to be moving IMHO. The most important thing is that she needs to be here for the beginning of year 11 (in Feb) which is when kids have just turned 16 or about to turn 16 in most states - Qld they tend to be a bit younger but she would still fit in year 11 at 16. The reason it is important to come at the beginning of year 11 is that it is a 2 year assessable course and if she wants to go on to further education her year 12 results will be important. If she misses a good chunk of year 11 then she could be seriously disadvantaged

I would say that if you cant get here for the beginning of year 11 then you delay it until she has finished A levels because her A levels will travel well and would get her into uni.

• 2 weeks later...

Could I also ask another question?

How soon when we arrive do the kids have to start school?would they be expected to join mid term or would they be able to have a little time to 'settle' first and start the next new term(or school year)?

Not sure how this would be viewed as UK schools are really strict about time off?

Guest r17ych

How soon when we arrive do the kids have to start school?would they be expected to join mid term or would they be able to have a little time to 'settle' first and start the next new term(or school year)?

Not sure how this would be viewed as UK schools are really strict about time off?

Hi Pam the school year starts in January, so if you come over in December then the schools will be on their end of year holiday. I have a 14 year old who will be turning 15 in November, she will be starting year 10 this September in UK. We too have worried about interfering with her education at this late stage as she should be taking her maths GCSE this November but we have no choice as my husband has a job waiting for him.

Do you know whereabout in Brisbane you will be heading to, we have just submitted our 457 visa and are waiting to hear. How do your children feel about the move? Our daughter Britt (14) is devastated one minute at leaving her family and then cautiously intrigued the next. Feel so bad for her but are sure its the best move in guaranteeing her future.

Anyway good luck with everything and I am sure others who are much more in the know than me will come along and give you the advice you need.

Love

Raych x

No one really cares, to be quite honest. I doubt you would get into much trouble if you never sent them to school:biglaugh: However, if you have a year 11/12 kid then start them right at the beginning of the term in Feb of their year 11 and dont plan to take them out of school at all for those 2 years. For younger kids then it really doesnt matter - they would rather that you got yourself a permanent address rather than chopping and changing schools so if it takes you a couple of months to find somewhere then they wouldnt baulk at that. In terms of actually starting - kids come and go all the time, you dont have to wait until the beginning of a term or even the beginning of a week you can start absolutely any time. Mind you, from your sanity point of view you would probably want to get them back into school asap!

Hi, I thought the school year started January, is that not the case?

Usually just after Australia day (Jan 26) but the schools usually have teacher prep days first up and then term starts in earnest so usually around 1 Feb give or take a day or so.

Hi Pam

as others have suggested, the year 11/12 courses are 2 year courses, so if she joined mid year she would be disadvantaged. If you are planning on staying in Australia long term, I would not worry too much about GCSE's. Focus on the Austalian education and make sure she gets the relevant qualifications here.

Where in Brisbane are you planning on moving to.

Take care

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Pam

We are also a family with one of us Australian by descent and the others on spouse visas (PR). We are also heading to Queensland, but we are going to Gladstone.

All the education stuff has my head in a whirl. We are fortunate in that we are planning our move for January so that our 12 year old can start High School with his cohorts.

My gut feeling as I read your post was that it would be good for your daughter to go ahead and get her GCSEs. I realise they count for nothing in Oz, but they might come in handy if she ever came back. But as I re-read your post I realised that you were thinking of timing your move for 2011 just so that she can sit the exams.

In that case I feel that if you are ready to go in 2010, then just go. Forget about GCSEs. I guess it all depends on your other commitments, and how much you have to do before you move.

I am not sure if that's any help at all, but I wish you all the best as you make your decision.

What does your daughter think about it?

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

It is all so confusing.

We have decided(so long as we get our visas of course...) that we will be over for our daughter to start at the beginning of year 11,even if it means we have to go(as I will be the main wage earner) while my husband and son await the house sale.

In response to your question, pur daughter initially wasn't too happy about the thought of going to school as she was hoping she could go straight to college, but came around to the idea very quickly and if she had a choice, would be over there now.

However, our 11 year old is not at all happy about the move, which is a real worry!

Lots of luck with your move..maybe we could get together when we finally get over

Best wishes Pam

Hi Pam

My 12 year old son isn't the best correspondent, but he has been to Oz twice now and loves it. He would be gutted if we didn't go. Would you like to pt your son in touch with Ben just to swap ideas etc? I understand if you think that might be a step too far though.

Ben was able to go to school for a day last month. We had no idea at that time that we would be settling in Gladstone. Our plan was for either Sydney or Brisbane. But as it turns out he will be going to that same school in January which is a real help to him as we prepare to move over. He might be able to reassure your lad a bit.

Hi Pam the school year starts in January, so if you come over in December then the schools will be on their end of year holiday. I have a 14 year old who will be turning 15 in November, she will be starting year 10 this September in UK. We too have worried about interfering with her education at this late stage as she should be taking her maths GCSE this November but we have no choice as my husband has a job waiting for him.

Do you know whereabout in Brisbane you will be heading to, we have just submitted our 457 visa and are waiting to hear. How do your children feel about the move? Our daughter Britt (14) is devastated one minute at leaving her family and then cautiously intrigued the next. Feel so bad for her but are sure its the best move in guaranteeing her future.

Anyway good luck with everything and I am sure others who are much more in the know than me will come along and give you the advice you need.

Love

Raych x

Hi

It is so hard thinking about everything isn't it?

We are waiting for our visas too and are aiming to go over next Easter for a reccie and then go as soon as we sell the house,sort jobs,schools,accommodation,etc. We are very lucky that we already have family in Brisbane and are keen to live somewhere near them...they live close to Cleveland, so we would like something in that area....is it Moreton Bay area? It is so hard decide until we actually go and have a look as so many places look lovely and then when you do some reseach, or ask family, the advice is don't live there,etc. I am looking at houses everyday, it is becoming a little bit of an obsession and seems I can't function without my daily house hunting fix!:jiggy:and we have a year to go yet

Where are you heading to? What are your feelings about it?

Becki(14) is so excited and cannot wait to go.However, Luke(11) is not happy and doesn't want to go, which makes me feel so bad.We also have a dog(Misti) which we will have to rehome as taking her with us is not an option.I feel so guilty every time I look at her and everytime Luke gets upset,(although he will talk about it now without running upstairs!!) as we are sure once he experiences it, he will love it.

Best wishes

Pam

Hi Pam

as others have suggested, the year 11/12 courses are 2 year courses, so if she joined mid year she would be disadvantaged. If you are planning on staying in Australia long term, I would not worry too much about GCSE's. Focus on the Austalian education and make sure she gets the relevant qualifications here.

Where in Brisbane are you planning on moving to.

Take care

Love

Rudi

x

Hi Rudi

Thank you, it does seem best to go for the years 11 and 12 so we are aiming to be out there 'lock,stock and barrel' for her to start the new year 2011.

We have relatives near to Cleveland so would like to be in that area.There are quite a few places I like the look of.

It depends on work too as I am a mental health nurse and hoping to get a job with Logan Health .

BTW, your posts have been so helpful, have looked through many of them.It is so good to be able to get such helpful and honest advice.

Best wishes

Pam

Hi Pam

My 12 year old son isn't the best correspondent, but he has been to Oz twice now and loves it. He would be gutted if we didn't go. Would you like to pt your son in touch with Ben just to swap ideas etc? I understand if you think that might be a step too far though.

Ben was able to go to school for a day last month. We had no idea at that time that we would be settling in Gladstone. Our plan was for either Sydney or Brisbane. But as it turns out he will be going to that same school in January which is a real help to him as we prepare to move over. He might be able to reassure your lad a bit.

Wow! That is so thoughtful of you. I will send you a pm.

Thanks

No one really cares, to be quite honest. I doubt you would get into much trouble if you never sent them to school:biglaugh: However, if you have a year 11/12 kid then start them right at the beginning of the term in Feb of their year 11 and dont plan to take them out of school at all for those 2 years. For younger kids then it really doesnt matter - they would rather that you got yourself a permanent address rather than chopping and changing schools so if it takes you a couple of months to find somewhere then they wouldnt baulk at that. In terms of actually starting - kids come and go all the time, you dont have to wait until the beginning of a term or even the beginning of a week you can start absolutely any time. Mind you, from your sanity point of view you would probably want to get them back into school asap!

Hi

Thanks for that. It seems like such a silly question.

My daughter's plan is to leave school in the UK at the end of next year and then not go again until she starts end Jan in Australia.(14 year olds have a wonderful way of looking at things don't they??)

So that would be a fair few months, if we were still in the UK, we would have no choice, they would both have to go, but if we are in Australia by say next September, it would mean a fair few months off until the new school year.:arghh:

I suppose it all depends upon when everything is finalised,and then we will have to see.

A month is fine to get used to stuff but more than that may be pushing it a bit.

It is all such a whirl at the moment,

Best wishes

Pam

Guest r17ych
Hi

It is so hard thinking about everything isn't it?

We are waiting for our visas too and are aiming to go over next Easter for a reccie and then go as soon as we sell the house,sort jobs,schools,accommodation,etc. We are very lucky that we already have family in Brisbane and are keen to live somewhere near them...they live close to Cleveland, so we would like something in that area....is it Moreton Bay area? It is so hard decide until we actually go and have a look as so many places look lovely and then when you do some reseach, or ask family, the advice is don't live there,etc. I am looking at houses everyday, it is becoming a little bit of an obsession and seems I can't function without my daily house hunting fix!:jiggy:and we have a year to go yet

Where are you heading to? What are your feelings about it?

Becki(14) is so excited and cannot wait to go.However, Luke(11) is not happy and doesn't want to go, which makes me feel so bad.We also have a dog(Misti) which we will have to rehome as taking her with us is not an option.I feel so guilty every time I look at her and everytime Luke gets upset,(although he will talk about it now without running upstairs!!) as we are sure once he experiences it, he will love it.

Best wishes

Pam

Hi Pam, I know what you mean about becoming obsessed with looking at houses, I am the same and think I know every house featured on realestate.com and domain.com.

My husband will be working in Fortitude Valley if our visa is granted and he has been recommended Nundah, Hendra and Bulimba by his company, but I prefer the coast and like the look of Cleveland and Wellington Point.

If I don't think about leaving my mum and dad and younger sister and nieces and nephews, I am very excited and nervous that we won't get our visas, but if I let myself think too much, well lets not go there. It wouldn't stop me going, but my heart would break so I don't allow myself to think I just tell myself they will follow me.

I know how you feel about Luke, I feel the same about Britt, she is not the least bit bothered about leaving her friends, school or way of life here, but leaving my family is tearing her apart as she is so close to them and cherished by them. She is a very sensitive and loving girl but has the strength of her dad and I know that she will adjust eventually very well as she has had a lot of practice over the last 5 years. What is it that is upsetting Luke? He is probably at a better age to move as he hasn't yet made the transition to High School, has he? That in itself will be good practice for him, and when you do get over there he will more than likely be in the same position as others more or less, adjusting to new friends in High School.

We too have a dog, but we are taking him with us, I think if we left him then that would be the straw that broke the camel's back for Britt.

When we first told Britt we sold it to her as an adventure and that nothing has to be forever. We talked about the lifestyle we would have over there and pointed out that because the weather was so good, we could do more things together,not like here when the weather is so bad and we are stuck indoors or spending a fortune on entertainment. Sell him the beach, the swimming pool, the theme and water parks and koala sanctuary. Don't beat yourself up you know whats best and you are giving him a much better future than he would have here. All the young ones have to look forward to here for entertainment is hanging around the streets getting up to god know what.

Anyway, sorry about the epic sermon, I wish you the best of luck.

Raych x

Hi Pam

I just wanted to say thanks so much to both you and Ben.:notworthy:

I cannot believe it, Luke actually said today he was ok about going to Australia and could we go any sooner than we first suggested.

Hi Raych

I am so glad someone else shares my house(and everything else Australian) obsession!

I like the coast area too, we have relatives near Cleveland and that looks lovely.

Every time I find a place I fall in love with it, but I suppose that is easy to do...we need to do some proper research and look around at Easter

I know what you mean about the visas too....I am worried they may find some long undiscovered illness or 'problem' with mine or the kids characters...maybe we all spent some time in prison that I can't remember..although I do have some close relatives with a criminal record(as in brother who spent some time in prison a number of years ago and sister who was charged with theft) so I hope that will not affect me....omg, I would be gutted!!I haven't seen that anywhere but did panic when I had to put their names on the visa application form.maybe I should research it,its got me worrying again now.

We won't be taking our dog although have thought long and hard about it but she will be going to live with a friend so we know she will be ok.

Take care

Lots of luck and best wishes

Pam

x

Archived