what age do kids start high school in NSW

Guest sidders67

Guest sidders67

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a definitive answer as to what age kids start attending High School?

My daughter will be 12 in February 09 and having emailed different schools I seem to be getting conflicting information.

One school says she will go to high school in year 7, another saying that year seven pupils are generally turning 13 during that school year and that she should go to a public school in year 6. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere and as we are moving out in January, most schools will be closed for the holiday period, so we would like to sort this sooner rather than later.

She will start year 7 in Jan 09 - first day of term is 27 January but not all students may start on that date . She has to turn 12 before 31 July of the year she starts year 7 so there should be absolutely no doubt at all about her placement.

Guest nareyclan
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a definitive answer as to what age kids start attending High School?

My daughter will be 12 in February 09 and having emailed different schools I seem to be getting conflicting information.

One school says she will go to high school in year 7, another saying that year seven pupils are generally turning 13 during that school year and that she should go to a public school in year 6. I can't seem to find the answer anywhere and as we are moving out in January, most schools will be closed for the holiday period, so we would like to sort this sooner rather than later.

Hi Sid,

I am sorry that I don't have any answers to your queries but I did find your post interesting as we are in a similar boat.

We arrive in Sydney Jan 16th. We have a 10 year old. I have done nothing about schools apart from look at some school websites as i have been told that catchment areas are strict and therefore until we find somewhere to live I cant apply to a school.

I dont know if you or anyone else knows if this is the case? What reactions have you had from the schools that you have contacted? This is begining to worry me a bit as I think that it will be a lot of extra pressure to try and sort something for the begining of the school year.

There is a website that we have found useful as it gives the rules for each state it is www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au

P.S Where are you guys heading?

Hayley.:confused:

Guest sidders67

Hi Hayley,

Thanks for the reply. I know where you are coming from with regards to the catchment area issues. We are in a similar position and don't yet know the exact suburb we will be moving to. A couple of the schools have said they are getting full up for January, but if you live in the 'zone' for a school I believe your child is entitled to a place there. I am joining the Australian Navy and most schools have a person looking after the forces kids and their requirements, which is extremely helpful (more than you get in the UK).

We should be landing in Sydney on January 14th and then onto Nowra (about 2 hrs south). It's a beautiful area, with fantastic beaches one way and the mountains the other. It's taken nearly 2 years to get there and we can't wait.:biggrin:

Sid

Hi all

We are hoping to be in Sydney (Northern Beaches) in January too. I have a son currently aged 12 (13th birthday will be February 9th) and he will be at High School, year 8. He's not too impressed that he's had to do 3 months of year 8 here and effectively will have to start again but I've said it's good practice! I'm not sure of state school systems there but my children will be going to a Catholic School (semi-private from what I understand) and there is no 'catchment' area. I have spoken to the school and they will be in for 10 days before the start of term so we'll be able to talk to them before he actually starts.

All the best,

Zoe xx

Archived