Aside from Bachelor Degree, do I need a PGCE also to become a preschool teacher in QLD?

Reg Ister

To be any sort of teacher in Australia you need 4 years at university. To work in preschool you need to do a PGCE specifically in Early Years. To be registered with ACECQA as an Early Childhood Teacher you also need experience with children age 0-2 that is theory and practice. This is hard for UK teachers as the PGCE covers the age range 3-7. If you are the main applicant for migration you will need your qualifications accessed by AITSL then you need to register with the Queensland teaching board and ACECQA. There's a lot of form filling and box ticking involved!

If your 3 year degree gives you QTS you may be able to do a masters instead. To register as a teacher you will need 45 days supervised teaching practice which your degree may not give but a PGCE will. In Australia with your degree you could be an Early Years Educator in private daycare, this seems similar to a room leader position that you would have in the UK. There's a really good thread in the jobs and careers section of the forum called 'Teachers in Oz' there's lots of information on there from people who have been through the process of registering as a teacher and are now working over there. It's really worth checking out and there are much more knowledgeable people than me on there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, just seen your message. Not sure if Queensland is different but you do not need a PGCE to be an Early Childhood Teacher. You just need a bachelor in early years and have at least 2 weeks experience working with 0-2 year olds. I know this because I am working here as an ECT. I had my qualifications assessed by ACECQA so have been through this. I am unable to teach in schools because I dont have PGCE but preschools and centres, so problem.

Is that just in Queensland? Not sure that is correct. You need a fourth year (PGCE) to teach in schools but not working as an early childhood teacher in preschools or centres. I know this because I am an ECT and have had my qualifications assessed by ACECQA.

• 1 month later...
To be any sort of teacher in Australia you need 4 years at university. To work in preschool you need to do a PGCE specifically in Early Years. To be registered with ACECQA as an Early Childhood Teacher you also need experience with children age 0-2 that is theory and practice. This is hard for UK teachers as the PGCE covers the age range 3-7. If you are the main applicant for migration you will need your qualifications accessed by AITSL then you need to register with the Queensland teaching board and ACECQA. There's a lot of form filling and box ticking involved!

Hi selina! Seen a lot of your posts on here and wondered if you could help. I'm applying to uni in uk this September for either primary and early years PGCE OR Early years initial teacher training, not a PGCE but gives your early years teacher status. This is a relatively new course, and it covers 0-5, so will cover what AITSL are looking for. I don't know what will positively assess me as a EArly years teacher. I've tried contacting AITSL but they said they can't advise me on which course! Im

going round in circles! X

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what else to say now...

So, there's loads of paperwork and assessments...

As UK universities only have 3 year Early Childhood Studies courses,

it seems I must do a PGCE.

When you say preschool teacher do you mean Early Childhood Teacher? If you do, which is what I am and teach preschool, you DO NOT need a PGCE. Your 3 year Early childhood degree is all that you need and to have had 'experience' with 0-2 year olds. When I had my qualifications assessed with ACECQA, only two weeks experience was enough. My early childhood degree was for 0-8 years. Hope this makes you feel better :)

Hi Roxy, yes I mean early childhood teacher. I have w 3 year degree in social science- psychology, education, criminology. And now am looking at 1 year degree courses- did you study just 3 years? Have you heard of the Early years initial teacher training? That's 1 year, and covers 0-5, not sure that's my best bet over PGCE primary and early years! Are you moving over soon? X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say preschool teacher do you mean Early Childhood Teacher? If you do, which is what I am and teach preschool, you DO NOT need a PGCE. Your 3 year Early childhood degree is all that you need and to have had 'experience' with 0-2 year olds. When I had my qualifications assessed with ACECQA, only two weeks experience was enough. My early childhood degree was for 0-8 years. Hope this makes you feel better :)

To teach early childhood in a school, four years of tertiary (university) education is mandatory across the whole of Australia.

To register with a teaching board you must have initial teacher training. Four years of university education is required, whether that is a four year degree or three year degree plus one more year of post grad study in a related are.

• Like 1

Hi Roxy, yes I mean early childhood teacher. I have w 3 year degree in social science- psychology, education, criminology. And now am looking at 1 year degree courses- did you study just 3 years? Have you heard of the Early years initial teacher training? That's 1 year, and covers 0-5, not sure that's my best bet over PGCE primary and early years! Are you moving over soon? X

You will need one more year of study to be able to teach in a school (kindy, pre-primary etc) anywhere in Australia, this is mandatory with all teacher registration boards.

Hi selina! Seen a lot of your posts on here and wondered if you could help. I'm applying to uni in uk this September for either primary and early years PGCE OR Early years initial teacher training, not a PGCE but gives your early years teacher status. This is a relatively new course, and it covers 0-5, so will cover what AITSL are looking for. I don't know what will positively assess me as a EArly years teacher. I've tried contacting AITSL but they said they can't advise me on which course! Im

going round in circles! X

Hi Carly,

I don't know what to advise really, I have had a positive assessment with AITSL with my PGCE but ACECQA are a whole different kettle of fish that I am struggling with because of this whole 0-2 experience!! I'm currently volunteering at my daughters nursery in their 0-2 rooms but have a feeling even this won't be enough as ACECQA have told me I also need theory in 0-2 (which the PGCE didn't offer) as well as practical. I've been told my experience needs to be 'substantial' whatever that means!! I have never heard of the Early Years ITT course but have had a quick google about it. If you are going to be applying for your 189 visa as the main applicant I would be wary of going down this route as I know people that have gone through a similar schools direct programme have not had their qualifications recognised by AITSL. So the Early Years ITT may help you get ACECQA registration but may not be recognised by AITSL so you're in a bit of a catch 22!!! AITSL are only looking for teacher training in age 3-8 which the PGCE will cover. Hope that makes sense and helps a little xx

Can I ask a quick question, I have a level 3 diploma in children and young people's workforce and will have a early years foundation degree which is 3 years study. I have 4 years work experience with 0 to 5 years will i qualify as a early years childhood teacher in a daycare centre/nursery? I will be having my qualifications assessed with ACECQA in the next month or so but was wondering if anyone could advise me. Thanks

Hi Carly, I have been in Sydney almost 3 years working as an Early Childhood Teacher. I didnt realise you degree wasnt in Early Childhood so yeah I expect you need to do further qualifications. I have a 3 year early childhood degree and then 1 year initial teacher training (GTP). I worked in schools back in the UK but my fourth year here isnt recognised as not at university hence why I am working as an early childhood teacher in preschool instead (3 degree suffice). I havent heard of the early years nitial teacher training. Good luch with everything x

Can I ask a quick question, I have a level 3 diploma in children and young people's workforce and will have a early years foundation degree which is 3 years study. I have 4 years work experience with 0 to 5 years will i qualify as a early years childhood teacher in a daycare centre/nursery? I will be having my qualifications assessed with ACECQA in the next month or so but was wondering if anyone could advise me. Thanks

Hi I would have thought your 3 year foundation degree would be enough to meet ECT but not sure how different that is to a 3 year bachelor degree. My NVQ level 3 in childcare was mapped over to a Cert 4 equivalent which wouldnt alone, qualify me for diploma level here in childcare. Basically working in long day care and preschool you are either cert3, diploma or ECT.

Hiya...i am a qualified prinary teacher for the 3-7 year range. I did a 3 year BEd hons degree. I found a pgce top up course but have aince found out that actually i would also need to be able to teach another language. My passion is early years so i am going to take the hit and do the full time graduate entry eyitt course. This is not work based so hoping this will tick the boxes!!!

• 4 months later...
Hi there, just seen your message. Not sure if Queensland is different but you do not need a PGCE to be an Early Childhood Teacher. You just need a bachelor in early years and have at least 2 weeks experience working with 0-2 year olds. I know this because I am working here as an ECT. I had my qualifications assessed by ACECQA so have been through this. I am unable to teach in schools because I dont have PGCE but preschools and centres, so problem.

Hi RoxyRoo,

I have just had my qualification assessed by ACECQA as ECT and have sent off my documents now to gain teacher registration. In the UK I work as a Nursery Teacher so get the best of both worlds with the school holidays and age group. Im looking at jobs and most are in daycare setting. I was just wondering what the pay is like compared to school? Most of the centres seem to be G8 or Goodstart - do you know if one company is better than the other or are they similar?

Thanks

xx

Thanks x

Hi RoxyRoo,

I have just had my qualification assessed by ACECQA as ECT and have sent off my documents now to gain teacher registration. In the UK I work as a Nursery Teacher so get the best of both worlds with the school holidays and age group. Im looking at jobs and most are in daycare setting. I was just wondering what the pay is like compared to school? Most of the centres seem to be G8 or Goodstart - do you know if one company is better than the other or are they similar?

Thanks

xx

Thanks x

The pay in day care centres is significantly lower than school award wages, as is the holiday entitlement. However, the work load is a lot less.

Can I just ask what was the outcome of your ACECQA assessment?

It's hard to work that out really because it depends on the current exchange rate. The way I did when I first got here is that I used to take home 1500 pounds (no pound sign on my keyboard!) per month after teaching in school for 3 years and here i was taking home $3400 a month. So because it is roughly double the amount I then halved everything that I bought here. For instance I could afford a loaf of bread for 1 pound 50p in UK, then I can afford a loaf here for $3. I have continued to do that here even though my salary has risen since 3 years ago. I am currently on $34 per hour. Even after over 3 years, I still work out what it is in pounds. If it works out a lot more than half, I won't buy it! I work for a G8 centre but there are so many centres around and ECT's are in demand. With a good UK background and teaching experience, you can pretty much ask for what you want (within reason). I went on 3 interviews as soon as I got here and was offered all 3. When changing jobs last year, I went on 4 and again offered all 4.G8 and Goodstart are probable similar. G8 own over 3000 centres across Australia!

Hope that helps!:smile:

• Like 1

Hi RoxyRoo,

Thanks

xx

Thanks x

It's hard to work that out really because it depends on the current exchange rate. The way I did when I first got here is that I used to take home 1500 pounds (no pound sign on my keyboard!) per month after teaching in school for 3 years and here i was taking home $3400 a month. So because it is roughly double the amount I then halved everything that I bought here. For instance I could afford a loaf of bread for 1 pound 50p in UK, then I can afford a loaf here for $3. I have continued to do that here even though my salary has risen since 3 years ago. I am currently on $34 per hour. Even after over 3 years, I still work out what it is in pounds. If it works out a lot more than half, I won't buy it! I work for a G8 centre but there are so many centres around and ECT's are in demand. With a good UK background and teaching experience, you can pretty much ask for what you want (within reason). I went on 3 interviews as soon as I got here and was offered all 3. When changing jobs last year, I went on 4 and again offered all 4.G8 and Goodstart are probable similar. G8 own over 3000 centres across Australia!

Hope that helps!smile.gif

Thanks so much, these were the answers I was hoping for! You have made me feel more positive towards applying for jobs too. Just need my visa to be granted then I can start getting looking properly. This waiting game is tortuous.

X

A foundation degree is equivalent to two years study. You would be deemed as studying part time if it was over 3 years, which isn't a problem but don't think that will be enough.

A foundation degree is equivalent to two years study. You would be deemed as studying part time if it was over 3 years, which isn't a problem but don't think that will be enough.

I think you are right.

Two years will not be enough if that is what the foundation degree equates to full time. This will not qualify the OP as a teacher here.

Edited by Sammy1