Brisbane school advice please!

Redbeccy81

Hello :) We are about to move to Brisbane, we can live anywhere within 45 min commute, my son has just turned 6 (August), so has already done nearly two years in the UK system. I need advice on the following

1. Can he go to school (mid year) now or does he have to start in January?

2. Can anyone recommend good primary schools, private or state?

3. If he goes in January what options for childcare and approximate costs?

We are currently in temporary accommodation in Gold Coast, moving up to Brisbane within the next two weeks, but can pop up to see areas and schools easily.

Thank you for any advice!

Beccy

Hello :) We are about to move to Brisbane, we can live anywhere within 45 min commute, my son has just turned 6 (August), so has already done nearly two years in the UK system. I need advice on the following

1. Can he go to school (mid year) now or does he have to start in January?

2. Can anyone recommend good primary schools, private or state?

3. If he goes in January what options for childcare and approximate costs?

We are currently in temporary accommodation in Gold Coast, moving up to Brisbane within the next two weeks, but can pop up to see areas and schools easily.

Thank you for any advice!

Beccy

If he's just turned 6 he can start full time school tomorrow. He will be in Prep.

All state schools have catchment areas and they are obliged to find a place for a child living (permanently) within that catchment area regardless of when they enrol so you don't need to worry about him having a place, just rock up with your visa, your proof of address and his vaccination book and though technically he could start there and then they do like a day or two to get organiZed. Forget what he has done before - foreign country totally new system.

Choose your home for what you need to get out of it - comfort, access, cost, facilities etc and the school will fall into place - it'll be your home 24/7. General rule of thumb is that the school will reflect the suburb so if you wouldn't want to live in a neighbourhood you wouldn't want to send your kids to the local school.

http://www.myschool.edu.au/ - you can type in the name of schools and check out their results and a few more details.

As said before, he can start as soon as you have moved. You just need to decide what area you want to be in. If you go State School route, you need to move to the catchment area to pretty much guarantee entry.

Private will take longer as you'll need an interview and it depends on your budget and location. I can give you some feedback on Private schools if you are looking South, East or CBD area but know about only a couple North and West. Plus there are sometimes waiting lists so contacting them asap is recommended. You possibly have more chance of getting him into Private mid-year rather than January.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the Western Suburbs. Places like Indooroopilly, Corinda, Chelmer, any of those and near by suburbs. There are very good state and private schools at all levels, Ironside Primary has a really good name https://ironsidess.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx as does Graceville Primary https://gracevilss.eq.edu.au/Pages/default.aspx on a direct train line to Brisbane just 15 minuets from the city, Indooroopilly Shopping centre is with in walking distance (don't take the car parking is a nightmare) if you are in Corinda you can get the train to Indooroopilly just a couple of train shops. Old area lots of coffee shops big trees etc.

This is a great web site http://www.whereis.com you can enter a suburb and it gives you a map and then you can click on distance and enter two suburbs and it will give you distance and time between the 2, also if you just put in one suburb and click search it not only gives you a map but on the left a list of all manner of things like schools, hospitals and if you click on those they will show an icon on your search map.

Stay away from places like Darra and Inala, also Woodridge, Marden areas. Forest Lake is a huge community with shops and schools so might be worth a look if western suburbs are a big expensive for you. Also the bay side around Redlands is nice. Sheldon College at Capalaba is a top private school http://www.sheldoncollege.com so you really have lots of options.

Good schools Northside-

Patrick Road - Ferny Hills

Albany Creek - not sure of name but have friends that v positive about school

The Gap - likewise

My children attend St Andrew's Catholic School in Ferny Grove. Found it to be excellent.

The areas listed above are fab for families. Lots going on and relatively easy to find a social circle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peachy :)

We moved to Ferny grove last week, my sons going to Ferny Grove primary, he managed three days before the holiday and loved it, phew! Great area and the park at Upper Kedrons in walking distance! :)

If you have any more tips about the area or settling in here it would be great! :-)

thanks again!

Great news! I love the area. The Sunday market (6am -11am I think) at the station is excellent. Good price for vegetables and baked goods. My kids love spending their pocket money at the market stalls/car boot area.

Samford is beautiful and you should drive up to Mount Nebo lookout and Camp Mountain lookout. Fantastic views over the valley and over the city.

There is also a lovely cycle ride up Lanita Road (I think this is correct spelling) into the forest.

Watch out for dive bombing birds at the park though - there are lots around this time of year snd they are vicious. Apparently plovers are particularly aggressive.

I am sure you will settle in really well.