Newbie here. Living / school advice please

Ahames

Hello!

We are on route to starting the process to move to Queensland area.

But id love any info/advice you guys have on...

1. Childcare. We won't have any family (like UK) is it costly? Is there any help towards care? Do schools offer morning/after school clubs?

2. Moving over - We obv would like to buy but first off guess we'd need to rent. How did you guys go about this? Find somewhere to rent before moving out?

3. Locations - We are liking the look of Brisbane. However we would like to be pretty near the sea (10 min drive or so). Ive also heard that South Gold coast is good, not to go North. Correct? Could anyone give me names of areas that are 'safe' to live please?

We don't want to live in the 'posh' area but in between.

Hubby's job is going to take us near a Porsche garage so if anyone knows where this is and knows where to live near-ish to there even better!

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice you maybe able to offer us.

Anna xx

Queensland area? :laugh:The UK would fit into Queensland seven times! Do you actually mean the Brisbane area? Or the Gold Coast area? Where is the job, Brisbane, Gold Coast or wider Queensland? Your post is not very clear.

Brisbane is not a beach city, in that it doesn't have the surf beaches of Sydney or Perth say. There are nice beaches at the Gold Coast, but you would not want to be living there and working in Brisbane, the commute would be hellish.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry but I'm new to Oz areas! Hence help required!

Job location - he'll be working for Porsche cars, not 100% on there location.

we have friends who live on Gold Coast , 10 min from beach but yep commute to work might be hard! Again I don't know.

just need good areas to live that are safe for family. Good schools.

Sorry if my post is hard work ha!

thanks anyway

anna

1. Childcare can be costly and it can also be cheap. Depends exactly where (suburb) you are looking. Some schools offer morning and after school care. You will need to speak to the school concerned. Some workplaces have creches.

2. You move over and stay in temporary accommodation like a long stay motel that offers cheaper rates. Once here you can look around for a suitable place to rent or buy.

3. Cannot comment on Brisbane.

Hubby's job is going to take us near a Porsche garage .......what does this mean?

Thanks again.

Work could either be southport or newstead.

Well one is Gold Coast and one is Brisbane. You need to find out which before you make any decision over where to live. Living in one and commuting to the other, is not sustainable for most people. Yes, think M25 in rush hour, or worse.

And if you have further questions on other things, try to be as specific as you can on locations for good advice, "Queensland area" does not make it easy for anyone trying to help you and even Brisbane and Gold Coast are not interchangeable. :wink:

Edited by Bungo

Thanks for your advice.

However we don't know the location yet and prob won't for a while.

What I'm asking if where is good to live within the areas I've said.

I understand the area is huge and doubt we'd commute but as work have offices in both locations we kind of have a choice but which area is better to live? We have 2 young kids - is one location better for schools?

You will get lots of variations from people for areas to live. Unless you are used to a commute, I'd probably try and stay local to where you are working as the motorway between Gold Coast and Brisbane can make the M25 look good!! So if they can pin point which location will be the main place of work, that would be useful!!

We live in Wellington Point. About 50 mins by train to Brisbane, just over an hour to the Gold Coast beaches. Depending on where you live in the UK, will depend on what you class as 'safe' areas. I would class where we live and surrounding areas as very safe. I know a lot of people on here really like the Northern suburbs too.

We secured a 3 week holiday let (through stayz.com.au) when we arrived but were lucky and found a 6-month rental after a week. I would not be looking to secure a rental unless you are here (and you probably wont get one unless you are here) as the pictures you see online often do not look like the actual place!!

Good luck!!

Thanks again.

Work could either be southport or newstead.

Hi

I wouldn't focus too much on areas until you know which location he will be based at, or at least which location he will spend the most time at. Either places have lovely family friendly suburbs near by so don't worry too much about finding a nice area., You could look on Realestate.com at suburbs around Newmarket and Southport, this will give you an idea of rental and buying costs and may help you narrow your choices.

Most people rent a holiday let or furnished rental for their first 3 to 6 weeks. This gives you time to check out suburbs and look and apply for rentals. Don't rule out a Holiday park, the cabins are quite popular with newly arrived families.

Lots of luck with everything and fire away with any questions you may have.

Cal x

Personally I much prefer the Brisbane area to the GC, but no beaches in Brisbane unless you take a trip to South Bank which is an inland lagoon in Brisbane City. If you do decide to look at Brisbane though the western suburbs are good and have very good schools, so around the Indooroopilly area, Chelmer, Graceville, Corinda, Sherwood, with the new legacy way open it has eased the traffic on Coronation Drive which takes you into the city . Looking at the GC quite a lot of poms on here seems to like Helensvale, close to Smith Street that takes you into Southport but as others have said be prepared for the traffic and the GC is a very busy place but has good beaches and shopping centres. The drive from the GC to Brisbane is "busy" say from as early at 6am same in the afternoon from around 2.30 as the mad rush to collect children from school starts.

Before and after school care can be very expencive .

I know where the Porsche garage is in Newstead! I live in Hamilton just a bit further around the North shore. I love living here as does my partner - Newstead is also a good area as are surrounding areas on either side of the river. However the areas are quite expensive so you need to do your homework first.

What sort of budget are you thinking of for rentals? We are paying $660 / week for a 3 bedroom townhouse in a small development in what I think is a fantastic area. You can definitely get cheaper in the areas mentioned above but you would have to cross the city in the morning...not nearly as bad as the GC to Brisbane run!

GC and Brisbane have their pros and cons. Both areas are family oriented - GC obviously has amazing beaches but potentially less career opportunities than Brisbane. Brisbane means you are accessible to the Sunshine Coast as well which has equally stunning beaches to the GC but is less developed with more mature population centres (just my opinion), I.e. Less backpackers! Nearest good beach to Brisbane is Woorim on Bribie Island just North of Brisbane and it is a 1hr drive at the weekend.

To to answer your question on the commute between the two: I agree with all that is written above. It's not pleasant, driving habits are very different to the UK (speed more consistent but tailgating acceptable as is undertaking)...as well as frequent hold-ups if there is an accident with only one real main route covering the whole of the GC to Brisbane or vice versa.

Good luck with your move.

Wow! That's great advice, thanks.Didn't know there was a garage there - I shall look into that also.Are you planning to buy or just rent?Your rent sounds good - obv I'm comparing to UK which houses/gardens are obv smaller and I'm good hour+ from a very poor beach ha!!I will research - thanks again.I'll be back with more questions....Anna x

If you think what I am suggesting is affordable, you can look at these areas which are in good proximity to Newstead:

New Farm

Hendra

Albion

Clayfield

Hamilton

Ascot / Doomben

Windsor / Grange

Kedron

These areas are all good generally in my experience. Some more affluent than others.

Check www.realestate.com.au

Edited by srh82
typos!

you might find this useful http://www.whereis.com/ under search you can put any town and press search will give you a detailed map, or you can press directions then key in a town you might want to live in and where ever the job is and press get directions it will give you distance and time to get there.

Tina, that's amazing!! Just what I need. Thanks so much!

Glad to help. Once you key in a town and press search as well as the map on the left you will see a list of things you might be looking for like schools, shopping centres, by clicking on those they will appear on your map. Then you can click on the marked icon and it gives you the address and by then clicking on the actual name it takes you to a new screen with phone numbers.

"Sometimes" the list does not show this is an issue I think with there web site but it is there you may just have to try again later.

Do remember though if it says 35 minuets travel ad a bit for peak times.