So we are serious about moving over to Perth (for the second time-first time we had no kids and lasted 6 months as we discovered I fell pregnant and I wanted to go home!) That aside, we are serious about the move this time, our eldest is 5 in april and should be starting Primary in the UK in August. We need to make all decision on where to live based around a good primary school. Can anyone give us any advice or experiences with primary schools in Perth? We would like to be near the beach but don't want to be too far south (Rockingham is too far south) and again not too far North (no further than Wangara) Price of property isn't an issue so don't let that stop you mentioning places. Thanks in advance!

Yes we will have a 457 visa in time but don't yet have it. My husband will be working away so thats why we are struggling to find a place.

OK negatives first. You really should think long and hard before coming over on a tempory visa with children. It is not advisable for many reasons. If you lose the job on a 457 you will be given 90 days to leave the country so really not good. If however you are going to go ahead then you say money no object and OH working away? so FIFO ? As you will have to pay for education anyway on a 457 and money is no object then your child can go to private school so you don't need to worry about areas. Why is Rockingham too far South? What is too far North?

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

If price of property isn't an issue and you would like to be near the beach, not too far south/North and in reach of good schools I would say as a starting point Cottesloe, city beach and floret to the north, Mosman Park, North Freo, Freo and South Freo to the South and western suburbs overall being a few mins drive to a beach or the river. I'm sure all the public schools in the area are good (I don't have particular knowledge) but you will certainly be within easy driving distance of all the good private schools, they're all pretty much single sex but plenty of boys and girls.....Scotch, Christchurch, PLC, MLC and St. Hildas. On a 457 you will have to pay a fee for schooling but obviously fees for the private schools will be significantly more.

I have read quite a few bad forums about Rockingham and families moving away from there. Obviously this is just what i have read and not experienced myself but the negatives out way the positives. I do however really like the look of Secret Harbour but again we wanted to stay closer to the city. The 457 visa would be based on my husband having a 4 year contract so we won't have to worry about him losing his job. We love Cottesloe and the surrounding areas but we are just unsure of the schools so thats given me some schools to look into Jessie123 thank you.

I have read quite a few bad forums about Rockingham and families moving away from there. Obviously this is just what i have read and not experienced myself but the negatives out way the positives. I do however really like the look of Secret Harbour but again we wanted to stay closer to the city. The 457 visa would be based on my husband having a 4 year contract so we won't have to worry about him losing his job. We love Cottesloe and the surrounding areas but we are just unsure of the schools so thats given me some schools to look into Jessie123 thank you.

This is the problem. Many people make this mistake. The 457 is an up to 4 year visa. Contract or no contract it is designed for an employer to get rid, for pretty much any reason at any time during those four years. We've seen it many times on this forum. It's not guaranteed for 4 years because it cannot be legally. Secret Harbour is a lovely Suburb which I work in and have lived in but it is a Suburb of Rockingham! I think you may need to do a bit more research lovely.

Maybe try Perthpoms you'll get a bit more localised knowledge. Good luck.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

We came on a 457, very quickly, and are now citizens. Yes, a 457 has its risks, but if it's a genuine job offer, your husband has the skills the company really need and most importantly of all you trust and have a good relationship with the company then why not? You can actually apply for PR immediately with the company's backing and sponsorship, we were granted PR within 6 months of landing. my advice, do your homework and trust your instincts! it sounds like hubby has a pretty good job offer, just like we did and it's been a wonderful journey! I'm no school bod but my daughter goes to one of the schools mentioned and I can't recommend it highly enough so please do feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my very best to assist you!

Wishing you the best of luck with your new journey xx

Lance Holt School in Fremantle is amazing, and if you can afford to live in Fremantle it would be a brilliant place to live - East Freo is probably the nicest residential part but we enjoyed living in Beaconsfield (a little cheaper)

Well I've just had my knuckles wrapped for being rude and unfriendly to a new member which was not my intention so I apologise to the OP but I stand by the comment after seeing too many here up the swanny after being dumped whilst on the 457. But I certainly never meant to be condecending, so thanks @Jessie123 for pointing out my shortcomings!

Well I've just had my knuckles wrapped for being rude and unfriendly to a new member which was not my intention so I apologise to the OP but I stand by the comment after seeing too many here up the swanny after being dumped whilst on the 457. But I certainly never meant to be condecending, so thanks @Jessie123 for pointing out my shortcomings!

Yes, I do apologise. I understand your fears of 457's but having arrived in OZ on that route (and quite frankly not being bothered whatsoever about emigrating to OZ previously) it was actually a pretty amazing experience, to gain PR within 6 months (under the previous regulations) was very much appreciated, 4 years later to become citizens was humbling, I was trying to make the point that it can and does happen, I didn't want to burst their balloon before they had even landed. I do believe if you want it enough you can make it happen. my mate landed with 3 kids on a tourist visa, got a job on a 457, worked her nuts off and yes they're all citizens now, living very happily in Rockingham. Some sad stories out there, but also some very inspiring stories out there, like I said if you want it enough you can make it happen.....

Well I've just had my knuckles wrapped for being rude and unfriendly to a new member which was not my intention so I apologise to the OP but I stand by the comment after seeing too many here up the swanny after being dumped whilst on the 457. But I certainly never meant to be condecending, so thanks @Jessie123 for pointing out my shortcomings![/quote

Yes, I do apologise. I understand your fears of 457's but having arrived in OZ on that route (and quite frankly not being bothered whatsoever about emigrating to OZ previously) it was actually a pretty amazing experience, to gain PR within 6 months (under the previous regulations) was very much appreciated, 4 years later to become citizens was humbling, I was trying to make the point that it can and does happen, I didn't want to burst their balloon before they had even landed. I do believe if you want it enough you can make it happen. my mate landed with 3 kids on a tourist visa, got a job on a 457, worked her nuts off and yes they're all citizens now, living very happily in Rockingham. Some sad stories out there, but also some very inspiring stories out there, like I said if you want it enough you can make it happen.....

I personally have seen many of the families of my students have to leave due to the 457 ending suddenly or at the end of the four years - they had no choice and were absolutely distraught.

I don't believe Que Sera, Sera was being rude or unfriendly, instead I believe it is important to be knowledgable about the postives and negatives that happen.

The reality is that employers do not always sponsor for PR from a 457 visa, companies go bust and people lose their employment and visa, some companies say they will support PR and there may be a freeze on that (it happened once in health here in WA). Whilst it's fantastic to read that people have progressed to PR, it would be remiss to allow the OP to believe it wasa certainty.

Ok firstly I would like to thank each one of you for your comments and we have taken then on board HOWEVER... The 457 visa is not our concern. We have weighed up the pros and cons and our decision is final. It is a huge company that is sponsoring us and there are plenty jobs that I can do that would get us sponsored so please let's not get hung up on the visa.

My original post was asking about primary schools so if anyone has any relevant information on that then we would be very grateful for your help :)

*No more visa negativity please :) *

Ok firstly I would like to thank each one of you for your comments and we have taken then on board HOWEVER... The 457 visa is not our concern. We have weighed up the pros and cons and our decision is final. It is a huge company that is sponsoring us and there are plenty jobs that I can do that would get us sponsored so please let's not get hung up on the visa.

My original post was asking about primary schools so if anyone has any relevant information on that then we would be very grateful for your help :)

*No more visa negativity please :) *

There has been no negativity on this thread.

Having said that, there are hundreds of primary schools, both public and private.

You need to think about location first and then go from there. Think about where the job is based and traveling times.

It's negative for us. We want a public school not private. I have stated all that previously- we want to stay quite central and near a beach. However if the better schools are not near a beach then that comes first. We would stay as far south as Freo and I read on another forum that they have a nice primary school there. Location due to job isn't important as my other half will be working away so no commute every morning for him. We want a nice community feel and we are in our mid 20s so somewhere with a bit of a social feel. Any help is greatly appreciated :) thank you.

It's negative for us. We want a public school not private. I have stated all that previously- we want to stay quite central and near a beach. However if the better schools are not near a beach then that comes first. We would stay as far south as Freo and I read on another forum that they have a nice primary school there. Location due to job isn't important as my other half will be working away so no commute every morning for him. We want a nice community feel and we are in our mid 20s so somewhere with a bit of a social feel. Any help is greatly appreciated :) thank you.

Freo has a number of primary schools. I would suggest you research your preferred loacation and then narrow down the suburbs so that you are in the catchment area for the school of your choice.

It is unwise to base everything on picking a school out of thin air. In your case it would also be useful to arrange a visit to the school, as clearly what suits one family, does not always suit another.

Edited by Sammy1

Why do you want a public school not private?

It is very different in Australia and very many children go to private schools, it's not 'snobby' or 'elitist' in the same way as it's perceived in the UK and the idea of a local school where all the neighbourhood children go the way they do in the UK doesn't really exist because depending on where you live most of the neighbours children will go to private schools anyway (obviously this depends on the area but the better the area the more likely this is)

I'm not sure of the current status of 457 visa holders but WA government was going to introduce fees of $4000 per child in state schools, which is the same in many states. We paid less than that at a private school.

What is it you are looking for in a primary school? A strong nurturing and caring focus? Strong academic focus? Good track record of children entering gifted and talented programmes? A feeder school for a good high school (assuming you feel the same about private high schools?), Lots of sport? Lots of homework (or not!)? A strong nurturing and caring focus?

Fremantle is a fantastic place to live with a fabulous community feel and ideal for someone in their mid-20s. You've lived in Perth before so you'll know that it can be death by suburbia in many places.

There are very many primary schools in the 'City of Fremantle' area - I don't think any of them are 'bad', I presume you are familiar with the http://www.myschool.edu.au website? Search for postcodes 6160, 6162, 6168 and 6159.

South Beach in South Fremantle became one of my favourite places on earth and is a perfect family beach with safe swimming between two groynes, a cafe, toilets, playground etc. and free parking if you aren't walking distance.

If you want to be central and housing costs are not an issue, I'd probably look at Nedlands (my daughter started her schooling there and we still have friends whose children are there), Hollywood, Claremont, East Claremont, Rosalie, Subiaco, Wembley, Floreat.. None of them are 'on' the beach, but not that far away.

tbh, most of the primary schools are much of a muchness. Just go and have a look and go with the one you get the best feeling about. The only thing with the Western suburbs schools is that the parents will tend to be a bit older than you, if that's an issue for you.