Help with Teacher Job Application?

StuartandElaine

Hi,

I am a teacher and will be moving to Perth with my family in July. I would love to get in contact with a secondary school teacher to discuss the kind of things I should include in my cover letter when applying for my first post in Australia.

There is plenty of educational lingo in the UK and a number of key areas which you are expected to touch on in an application, any advice on how to construct my application to provide an area coordinator/head teacher with what they are looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stuart

I am a secondary Maths teacher also hoping to move near Perth (but possibly later on in the year). Have you tried to contact a few schools? I have E-mailed a few schools directly and they have been quite positive and told me to keep in touch regarding the status of my VISA. I don't think the education system in Australia is that dissimilar to here from what I know about it. I know they put a lot of money into educational research.

Thanks

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
I'm in the same boat, any key info would be appreciated. I guess the next step is to register with TRBWA.Have you guys done this? Was it a simple process? I haven't told my work yet of my intentions!

Do you need a valid visa to register with TRBWA? I haven't done this yet. We are currently waiting to be invited to apply after launching an expression of interest a few weeks ago. I handed my notice in last Wednesday. I think they were shocked (as I only started my new job in September) but supportive. I don't really want the kids to find out but as the teachers gossip more and more it's inevitable! :chatterbox:

What do you teach?

Wow you resigned before getting a visa?! You're brave! I am not sure if you can register before a visa to be honest. I don't see why not. It looks like you gain a type of temporary registration until you've worked 100 days in a WA school or schools.

Originally an ICT teacher (and business), I've moved into SEN.

Do you need a valid visa to register with TRBWA? I haven't done this yet. We are currently waiting to be invited to apply after launching an expression of interest a few weeks ago. I handed my notice in last Wednesday. I think they were shocked (as I only started my new job in September) but supportive. I don't really want the kids to find out but as the teachers gossip more and more it's inevitable! :chatterbox:

What do you teach?

Wow, that is extremely brave or very silly, I can't decide which. However,When you get here you will apply to the fixed term teacher pool with the W.A. Ed Department, you may or may, not get a job through this. Of course, this is if you are coming to W.A. like the OP. If not, then each state has its own procedure.

Independent W.A. government schools also start advertising (those that have become independent from central pooling system) in June and generally all jobs are filled by October/November. Schools fill their own pools from these advertisements and again, you may or may not, be 'fished' out of the pool for an actual position.

You will be required to address the Australian Professional Standards in ALL applications to government schools. I recommend that you look up the website and become familiar with the professional standards. The application is lengthy and schools have selection panels that go over the standards with a fine tooth comb.

If you are science,maths or design and technology trained, then your chances are pretty good.

Private schools advertise through websites such as Seek.

Edited by Sammy1

I am definitely not very silly thank you. I am a Maths teacher in Yorkshire and could get a job tomorrow if I needed another one. There are so many vacancies. I also have sold my house so please do not make judgements based upon facts you don't know.

I came on to this forum for support, not to have negativity.

It wasn't a judgement, just a comment. This is a public forum and it is often a light hearted place..

I actually gave you very relevant and useful advice on the application process for W.A.

You are welcome.

It wasn't a judgement, just a comment. This is a public forum and it is often a light hearted place..

I actually gave you very relevant and useful advice on the application process for W.A.

You are welcome.

From what I've seen there are often very negative comments actually. I would not take leaving my job lightly and I know more about the application processes than most people probably do. I am always well informed when making important decisions and already know the system for WA. I have family there.

Like I said, I'm a Maths teacher. Not a problem getting a job here if I need to.

That is all.

Wow, that is extremely brave or very silly, I can't decide which. However,When you get here you will apply to the fixed term teacher pool with the W.A. Ed Department, you may or may, not get a job through this. Of course, this is if you are coming to W.A. like the OP. If not, then each state has its own procedure.

Independent W.A. government schools also start advertising (those that have become independent from central pooling system) in June and generally all jobs are filled by October/November. Schools fill their own pools from these advertisements and again, you may or may not, be 'fished' out of the pool for an actual position.

You will be required to address the Australian Professional Standards in ALL applications to government schools. I recommend that you look up the website and become familiar with the professional standards. The application is lengthy and schools have selection panels that go over the standards with a fine tooth comb.

If you are science,maths or design and technology trained, then your chances are pretty good.

Private schools advertise through websites such as Seek.

Hi Sammy1 can you apply from the UK or do you need to wait until you've arrived?

Swimwiththedolphins, it is unusual for someone to give up there job before gaining a visa I don't believe any offence was meant. Sammy1 is giving good info!

From what I've seen there are often very negative comments actually. I would not take leaving my job lightly and I know more about the application processes than most people probably do. I am always well informed when making important decisions and already know the system for WA. I have family there.

Like I said, I'm a Maths teacher. Not a problem getting a job here if I need to.

That is all.

That's wonderful that you already have a vast knowledge of how the education recruitment system works in W.A. Not many do (including many education professional already based here), your family must be very well informed teachers.

My advice still stands as before regarding the National Professional Standards. If you do not know them, then start getting acquainted now. You will need a good knowledge of them to apply for any state school positions. Be prepared to write about five pages or so addressing them.

I would politely suggest that you change your attitude on this forum and perhaps consider saying a thank you now and again, that might make your posts a little easier to digest.

Edited by Sammy1

Not sure about the teacher shortage in the UK, but in Australia there are a lot of highly capable teachers looking for work - you should be OK with maths but take nothing for granted. My hubby is chemistry & physics (another shortage area) and his way in to secondary school Brisbane was volunteer, teacher aide, temporary contract, permanent contract. He did not find it a breeze by any stretch of the imagination.

Not sure about the teacher shortage in the UK, but in Australia there are a lot of highly capable teachers looking for work - you should be OK with maths but take nothing for granted. My hubby is chemistry & physics (another shortage area) and his way in to secondary school Brisbane was volunteer, teacher aide, temporary contract, permanent contract. He did not find it a breeze by any stretch of the imagination.

Maths is an area where prospects are better and certainly in W.A. there has been a greater need for secondary teachers in the area of maths,science and design and technology as the year 7's have moved to high school for the first time this year.

However, many primary teachers have been sponsored by the department to upgrade their skills and lots have now made the switch to secondary teaching.

I absolutely agree with you though that it is a mistake to take anything for granted.

Edited by Sammy1

Maths is an area where prospects are better and certainly in W.A. there has been a greater need for secondary teachers in the area of maths,science and design and technology as the year 7's have moved to high school for the first time this year.

However, many primary teachers have been sponsored by the department to upgrade their skills and lots have now made the switch to secondary teaching.

I absolutely agree with you though that it is a mistake to take anything for granted.

Yes indeed, take nothing for granted!

I guess it's good to know though that for anyone returning to UK who happens to be a Maths teacher that they can just walk into a job!

Yes indeed, take nothing for granted!

I guess it's good to know though that for anyone returning to UK who happens to be a Maths teacher that they can just walk into a job!

Absolutely, it also sounds like a few Aussie teachers need to emigrate to the UK to fill the demand there. I had no idea that jobs were so plentiful.

Edited by Sammy1

Maths and science teachers are usually ok- but if you have to have an interview and come across as an arrogant person who knows everything- I doubt they'd give you a job!

I don't have an attitude and I'm certainly not arrogant. My original point was about my resignation. I have to hand my notice in now otherwise I can't leave until Christmas, and we are going over in October. My partner also works. I've been in touch with a school already who have offered me some work when I arrive.

I know the jobs are not as easy to come by in WA, I'm registered for job alerts.

I just thought the original point came across quite nasty. My house has sold so I'm moving 60 miles away to stay with family until the visa is granted, another reason why I have to leave. I don't think comments should be made until you know what's going on with someone.

I don't have an attitude and I'm certainly not arrogant. My original point was about my resignation. I have to hand my notice in now otherwise I can't leave until Christmas, and we are going over in October. My partner also works. I've been in touch with a school already who have offered me some work when I arrive.

I know the jobs are not as easy to come by in WA, I'm registered for job alerts.

I just thought the original point came across quite nasty. My house has sold so I'm moving 60 miles away to stay with family until the visa is granted, another reason why I have to leave. I don't think comments should be made until you know what's going on with someone.

Immigration always say dont assume you will get a visa and sell your house, quit your job etc before you do. I think the key thing here is "if" the visa is granted. There are a whole lot of sob stories on this and other boards where people believe they are a shoo in and fall flat on their noses. I guess we've all been around a long time and seen it happen and pretty much all of us would urge caution.

I agree with Quoll. You should not assume the visa is a given until it is in the hand. There are hundreds of posts on here about that.

As, others have pointed out, jobs for teachers and not easy and given everyone in WA (I have been in WA 7 years) is expecting massive axes to flow across the public sector pretty soon then i would be very careful. If you dont know what the economy is doing then a little research should be important - in essence, the WA gov gets a huge amount of its income from mining royalties - mainly iron ore. It set its budget at an iron ore price of nearly $140 a tonne. The actual is not less than $60 and expected to continue falling. So, imagine a government that has just had almost two thirds of its income disappear!

For example, are you aware, that since December, new teaching staff, who are a replacement for a previous staff member will be appointed on a salary that is 10% less than the previous post holder? This applies to teachers, nurses and police. For other state roles, the cut is 40%

I agree with Quoll. You should not assume the visa is a given until it is in the hand. There are hundreds of posts on here about that.

For example, are you aware, that since December, new teaching staff, who are a replacement for a previous staff member will be appointed on a salary that is 10% less than the previous post holder? This applies to teachers, nurses and police. For other state roles, the cut is 40%

That is absolutely not true for teaching staff, I have no idea about other public sector workers.

Teachers are paid depending on their level, this is directly related to experience and years served.

[TABLE=class: table1]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD]Graduate teachers start on 2.1 or 2.2 depending on whether they have four or five years of university education

2.1 $63,118

[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD] 2.2 $69,254[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Teachers performing satisfactory teaching service receive an annual increment each year until they reach Level 2.9.

If you are an experienced teacher, you are paid a salary according to the number of years you have been teaching.

[TABLE=class: table1, width: 70%]

[TR]

[TH] Level[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.3[/TD]

[TD] $75,793[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.4[/TD]

[TD] $78,764[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.5[/TD]

[TD] $81,852[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.6[/TD]

[TD] $85,060[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.7[/TD]

[TD] $88,394[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.8[/TD]

[TD] $91,858[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.9[/TD]

[TD] $95,459[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by Sammy1

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/wa-govt-announces-128-billion-deficit/story-e6frfku9-1227164318021

That is absolutely not true for teaching staff, I have no idea about other public sector workers.

Teachers are paid depending on their level, this is directly related to experience and years served.

[TABLE=class: table1]

[TD]Graduate teachers start on 2.1 or 2.2 depending on whether they have four or five years of university education

2.1 $63,118[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.2 $69,254[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Teachers performing satisfactory teaching service receive an annual increment each year until they reach Level 2.9.

If you are an experienced teacher, you are paid a salary according to the number of years you have been teaching.

[TABLE=class: table1, width: 70%]

[TR]

[TH] Level[/TH]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.3[/TD]

[TD] $75,793[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.4[/TD]

[TD] $78,764[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.5[/TD]

[TD] $81,852[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.6[/TD]

[TD] $85,060[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.7[/TD]

[TD] $88,394[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.8[/TD]

[TD] $91,858[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD] 2.9[/TD]

[TD] $95,459[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Good to know that UK is still keen on Maths teachers if I decide to return in a couple of years. Good luck to those hunting in WA

The advice on fully outlining your skills in relation to the standards is correct. The other buzz words in QLD are literacy, inclusive Ed and PD. There are many schools here following the Marzano philosophy. (there is much I could say about that but will leave that for an Ed forum)

Millie

Good to know that UK is still keen on Maths teachers if I decide to return in a couple of years. Good luck to those hunting in WA

The advice on fully outlining your skills in relation to the standards is correct. The other buzz words in QLD are literacy, inclusive Ed and PD. There are many schools here following the Marzano philosophy. (there is much I could say about that but will leave that for an Ed forum)

Millie

Do you think you'll return? I remember looking to come out a similar time to you a few years ago!