TAFE - Mature Student needing advice

Dawn2002

Hi There,

I'm thinking ahead here, so after some advice.

As both my children will be in school by 2016, I'm thinking of retraining and was thinking of doing a course at TAFE. Specifically on the travel/ tourism area, due to my current location on the Gold Coast and the fact that I love travelling.

I was wondering if anyone has done a Course at TAFE, are the qualifications gained highly regarded by employers ? Was the tuition good etc ? And importantly how are mature students received, I'm a bit nervous I wouldn't fit in.

Any feed back great fully received no matter what the subject studied was.

Dawn

Hi There,

I'm thinking ahead here, so after some advice.

As both my children will be in school by 2016, I'm thinking of retraining and was thinking of doing a course at TAFE. Specifically on the travel/ tourism area, due to my current location on the Gold Coast and the fact that I love travelling.

I was wondering if anyone has done a Course at TAFE, are the qualifications gained highly regarded by employers ? Was the tuition good etc ? And importantly how are mature students received, I'm a bit nervous I wouldn't fit in.

Any feed back great fully received no matter what the subject studied was.

Dawn

I did an Advanced Diploma of Tourism Management in 2012 in Melbourne with William Angliss (well respected tourism school). I wanted to get into a specific area of tourism and got lucky getting an internship with a very large group tour organisation that only took on students from the school I attended. I went on to get a permanent job with them. But apart from getting that internship - the entire course was a waste of time IMO.

The most important thing in getting a job in the tourism sector is having the travel experience. In the organisation I worked for I never came across anyone else that had done a tourism course - they got their jobs because they lived and breathed travel- they had been to the places that our company travelled to. Everything else they could teach you on the job quite simply.

Thanks for your responses, it's certainly given me something to think about.

Engaus- that's interesting, I noticed the course I was looking at was also offered by flight centre with preference to jobs in the company given to candidates. Not sure how much it is, but it was $7k at TAFE. I am well fairly well travelled, but I think I defiantly need to take some career advice before investing such a large sum. I'll keep my eyes open for any upcoming events that might give me further insight into careers in the industry.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your responses, it's certainly given me something to think about.

Engaus- that's interesting, I noticed the course I was looking at was also offered by flight centre with preference to jobs in the company given to candidates. Not sure how much it is, but it was $7k at TAFE. I am well fairly well travelled, but I think I defiantly need to take some career advice before investing such a large sum. I'll keep my eyes open for any upcoming events that might give me further insight into careers in the industry.

Thanks again.

Be careful with flight centre - they have an extremely high turn over of staff. If your looking for a job with a travel agency then don't do a travel course. flight centre hires people who have travelled (and unfortunately a lot of people who have done little travel). They do a lot of on the job training, but are very heavily sales focused - it's all about numbers with them which can make for a terrible working environment