Help with primary school decision and transfer files? please - thank you

louise x x x x x

Hi

We are a family of 4 moving to Brisbane - visa granted just need to book flights

An area is yet to be decided upon - But people have recommended Gapp

we have 2 girls aged 6 and 7

I am confused as to what school I should apply for? how to go about it? Some schools have even said they would like an interview?

But I just wondered do you have to ask the primary school in the Uk for transfer files to take with you? or does the new school contact the old school?

I am a little lost with the whole process to be honest

So any help on the school situation- would be gratefully appreciated

Thank you

I have enrolled one of my children in an Australian school from the UK and I was asked to fill in an application, send the last school report and birth cert and of course the fee. But that was all. Just need to visit and meet the principle when we arrive.

awh thanks for the reply

can I ask in which area you enrolled?

Did you just email the school or call directly?

I have looked on the school websites and the application forms seem easy enough although it does say about transfer files and interviews and that still does not hold a place

Also its catchment are based and you need to have a current address out there

Its actually in Adelaide and its private so maybe its different. Its not a zoned school if its private and I just emailed the enrollment office. If the school you are looking at is zoned you probably need to live in a designated area, then you'll definately need proof of address.

Thanks for that

Its a minefield trying to find the best school

most people say find where you would like to live then base a school around it

I think a good school for my girls is more important that choosing where we would like to like

I would decide upon the best school for the girls

But that is just me I guess

Nice in theory but doesn't always work out that way unfortunately. The schools are generally going to reflect the suburb you live in so if you can't see yourself living in a particular neighbourhood then you sure as heck won't want to be sending your kids to a school in it! Choosing a home you are happy to live in 24/7 is pretty much a priority- that will depend upon access to work, facilities, price, availability etc. it's no good getting hung up on a particular school if you can't get accommodation you are prepared to live in in the area.

You won't get enrolment in a government school without a permanent address - private schools are different, just cough up the enrolment fee and if they have space they'll take your money. If you are lucky a school might be prepared to show you around if you are, perhaps, dithering between two possible rentals and they are in different catchment areas but schools do get fed up showing people round who are just school shopping and some won't do it at all until you've got an address!

Nothing beats the eyeball test IMHO - you can take your time, if you've spotted a nice rental head off to the local school and have a chat to the mums at the gate, watch the kids coming out and see how they look and act. You'll pretty soon get a feeling for the cohort. Once you've got a rental a school is obliged to find a place for the kids it's not like UK where you can live next to a school but be offered a place 3 miles down the road.

There is no such thing as the "best" school, they're all pretty much of a muchness and change with staff changes etc so don't sweat it before you arrive - find your home and the school will fall into place

Oh and just saw you asked about transfer of files - there won't be any! It's a foreign country with its several different state systems - they don't even transfer files from state to state. Just rock up with the kid, their vaccination record, proof of age and residence and that's it. Some schools may ask for prior reports but they're just being polite, no one ever looks at them anyway unless they are full blown psycho-educational assessments for special measures. It really will be quite straightforward.

Agree with Quoll, there are no files to transfer. Your kids will go into the correct year group for their age in the Aus system and go out from there. I'm sure their reading and writing will be assessed by their teachers. I'd not overthink it too much in terms of what they are doing in the UK and what they will then be doing in Aus. It will be different thats for sure. Don't compare, remember, they are on the same page as the Aus kids once in the Aus system.

Some schools like to meet potential new students, nothing to worry about. We took our son along to our meeting with the principal and he went on the school tour with us then when we first moved over. Started two days later. When we bought a house and moved areas, we left him in his current school for the remainder of the term then moved him for term 3 to a new school in our area. We went on our own to meet the principal and take the tour. Son did 2 transition days at the school near the end of term 2 and was happy as anything to start term 3 there. We are now in term 4 and its all been great.

State schools won't consider you till you are resident in Aus with an address. Not all schools are zoned, though some can be if demand is high. I'd not bother trying to get in to a school till you are here and can go visit them in person.

You might want to check out this site and see if it helps you narrow it down

http://myschool.edu.au/

Area wise, can't help, don't know Brisbane. Rent in an area you like, that is affordable and decent. Research schools in that area and if zoned or not. If they are, you'd have to reside in the zone. If not, they can go to any school although they will generally encourage you to go to one of the nearest, but you don't have to.

Hi

Thanks for the info,

I just like to have everything in place - over organiser and planner and feel out of my comfort zone with the move.

We are going into a furnished home for 4 weeks, so are hoping that will give us time to settle in have a look with our own eyes and make self judgements about areas we would like to live in and schools.

I know it will be a total transition from them. I am originally from Ireland and even the education system there to the UK is different. I will not be comparing , it was just a worry will the girls be able to do what is expected of them. Yes I guess I am the parent that over- worries too much. My girls are bright but very different, the eldest is very out going and has a very short attention span and needs to encouraged. But is academically where she needs to be. My youngest is an over achiever and excels. I just want the best for both of them as they require different needs.

As for immunisations - is this just the red book? or do I ask the Gp for a copy?

I did not know we needed proof of immunisations?

Also is there anything else regarding schools I should be aware about?

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate them. :smile:

It is helping to de boggle my mind :wacko:

If your red book is up to date it'll be fine. Nothing much to worry about just take your time! No one is going to get their knickers in a knot if the kids are out of school for a couple of months especially at this time of year.

I disagree entirely with this sorry Quoll. The earlier you can get the children into school and making friends the better IMO.

I disagree entirely with this sorry Quoll. The earlier you can get the children into school and making friends the better IMO.

The point being though that no authorities are going to get in a knot if the kids arent in school within the week - find a permanent residence then walk into the nearest school although approaching the Christmas holidays they may well tell you to wait until next year. Better make friends with kids they are going to be friends with longer term than chopping and changing - get it right the first time.

Do you know where you will be working ? If so decide how long are you are willing to travel to get to work. Get a map of Brisbane and draw a circle with in your chosen travel time. Then start researching the suburbs with in that circle. http://www.realestate.com.au/buy not only has property for sale and rent but it gives you some basic info in regards to suburbs. If you read through different threats seems 3 spots people particularly like, West around Indoroopilly, Kenmore, St Lucia older suburb with great schools both public and private. Northern Gold Coast, mainly new modern estates, again many good schools state and private, and North around North lakes, a new and developing suburb. Dont know where you are from in the UK but be prepared for travel times be it work, shopping, or schools to be very different to the UK. Most people over here have a car and for very good reasons. There is public transport of course but not as good as the UK.