Schooling cost on 457 visa

chenzo

Hi . I practically have a job offer and sponsorship in place in Sydney the company want to get me over for one week at their expense , and we will pay for my wife and child . For the week .

I have read on here somewhere that I will have to pay $14000 a year until I get P, R . My son is about to turn 6 years old and has just finished his first year in reception class . is this true??

Also are their any other costs involved that I need to be aware of ? I need to make a decision in the next few days ideally .

Thankyou all in advance this will be the biggest decision I have ever made .

School fees for temporary residents in NSW vary with the type of schooling. For public (government) school, the fees are $5000 per year, and then I think that there is a one off admin fee of about $110 or so when you first apply. Catholic schools used to only charge the same fees that residents were charged, but I believe that most are now charging these fees on top of a temporary residents fee. Private schools charge anything up to $20k+ I would think.

If you decide to go down the public school route (which we did so I can speak with experience), there are other fees and charges through the year which will have to be paid for. It costs us about $200 at the start of the school year for books, then we have to provide things like glue, tissues and so on on top of this. Then there are incursions, excursions, gymnastics and dance programs which all have to be paid for, which probably adds up to a further $200 or so per child. Of course there is uniform and so on to buy, although this can often be bought second hand. I would assume that some of these costs will also apply to private and Catholic schools, although I don't have any experience of this so I can't be sure.

I hope that helps a bit, I am sure that someone will be along with more info soon.

I believe its more like 4000 per year for a state school, but private will be more... I'm in QLD though, so more people will come along that can tell you for sure.

In terms of the 457, you won't get any help with child care, no benefits of any sort, slightly different Medicare entitlement - not nothing, but a bit less than PR (I think). The usual other things like lose your job you have 90 days to find another employer, or want to leave, another employer must take over your sponsorship. Generally, although it can be fine (I came on one) this visa is considered far more unstable than other visas - it is temporary. However, if you are on a good wage, can fully support your family with no financial issues, and bare in mind the potential for things that can (and do) go wrong on this visa then there can be happy endings too.

NSW gov fees for temp workers now $5000 pa up front. Bear in mind that this is just a temporary visa, there is no guarantee it will lead to permanent residence

The company have a number of people that have moved from the UK that have either citizenship or P.R ,

What type of things could stop me and my family getting P.R ?

The company have a number of people that have moved from the UK that have either citizenship or P.R ,

What type of things could stop me and my family getting P.R ?

I think that Quoll's point was actually that there is no automatic pathway to PR, your visa will not convert to PR, you wont be able to just fill in a form in two years and get PR (as many appear to believe).

So it is not about anything stopping you, it is just that you should know in order to get PR you would have to qualify for and lodge a fresh visa application, this time for a permanent visa.

Congratulations on the job !

Cheers ..

although ive not officially got it yet .. they have my resume and we have talked at length on the phone , jobwise I will slot straight in when they see what I can do, it should be a formality ,

im very excited .. but I have to make sure everything else ; ie schooling , housing , living expenses all add up . We live a modest life here and if we can get that plus a little more ..im sure we will be happy , the missus works full time here so I need to be sure we will be ok for the short term on one salary . [emoji16]

Cheers ..

although ive not officially got it yet .. they have my resume and we have talked at length on the phone , jobwise I will slot straight in when they see what I can do, it should be a formality ,

im very excited .. but I have to make sure everything else ; ie schooling , housing , living expenses all add up . We live a modest life here and if we can get that plus a little more ..im sure we will be happy , the missus works full time here so I need to be sure we will be ok for the short term on one salary . [emoji16]

When you are weighing it up, do not take your current salary, convert it at today's exchange rate and then compare it to what they offer you. The FX rate has moved a lot over last few years and it is not reliable. If you want to feel a bit better off than you are now, then take your current salary, multiply by about 2.5 and that is the number you would want in $. There or thereabouts of course, it is not a formula.

Cheers ..

What line of work are you in ?

When you are weighing it up, do not take your current salary, convert it at today's exchange rate and then compare it to what they offer you. The FX rate has moved a lot over last few years and it is not reliable. If you want to feel a bit better off than you are now, then take your current salary, multiply by about 2.5 and that is the number you would want in $. There or thereabouts of course, it is not a formula.

Good advice [emoji106]

its approx x3 on my own ,but not our joint income before overtime etc and some more negotiations ,

Well good luck, i work in manufacturing also.

Had a job interview in Perth and things were going great... until the current production manager decided to change his mind and stay in the job..... gutted ! Keep thinking, ohhh i would of arrived this week if all had gone to plan.

Well good luck, i work in manufacturing also.

Had a job interview in Perth and things were going great... until the current production manager decided to change his mind and stay in the job..... gutted ! Keep thinking, ohhh i would of arrived this week if all had gone to plan.

Thankyou .

This has not been without issues either tbh , keep intouch with them , anything could happen .

Thankyou .

This has not been without issues either tbh , keep intouch with them , anything could happen .

They have said they would like to keep in contact, which is a good thing. I'm sure things will work out in the end... Many thanks and good look with your adventure !

Read some of the posts from dependents of 457 visa holders - some people have great difficulty finding jobs as temporary residents so don't factor that additional income into your budget but take it as a bonus if the missus can find work.

Read some of the posts from dependents of 457 visa holders - some people have great difficulty finding jobs as temporary residents so don't factor that additional income into your budget but take it as a bonus if the missus can find work.

Ill bear that in mind , thanks

Things to consider.

Partners of 457 holders often struggle to find work as they are seen as only here for a short time. It is a temp visa

If you were to lose your job for any reason, then you would only have 90 days to find an alternative sponsor or leave the country. You would be surprised how often this happens.

Be aware with regards the above, that manufacturing is struggling.

There is no automatic pathway to PR and a range of things can prevent it. Some that spring to mind include: the occupation being dropped from eligibility. A medical condition develops that would prevent one of the family passing the medical.