Classed as 'resident' or 'overseas student'?

Guest Guest98336

Guest Guest98336

A quick query I hope someone can help me with..?

We'll be moving to Sydney in August 2014, on 457 visas, for a period of not less than 3 years.

For tax/super purposes I understand I'll be classed as a 'resident'.

Will my 9yr-old daughter be classed as a 'resident' for school fees purposes? (For example, I have seen a least one independent school website list different fees, residents at ca. $18k pa and overseas students at $39k pa. Yes, I'm looking at the higher end - but not that high!)

Thanks in advance - Steven.

The temporary visa situation is a bit cloudy with private schools - the Catholic system actually charge local rates plus a levy for 457 visa holders. Other private schools seemed (when I asked them) to be a little unclear (in Canberra, I admit) but (and it was a few years ago) the verdict was that they would be charged local rates. You could always ask them - then report here as people are likely to be interested in the answer

You will also incur fees in public schools in NSW.

You need to also investigate what this will mean regarding fees back in the uk at university. There are rules that can prevent people who have not been immediately resident in the uk from obtaining help with university costs in the uk.

NSW charges fees for all 457 visa holders wishing to send children to school to a cost of 4-5k per child in top of any fee the school chargers for students.

Is that what Catholic schools are doing now? I know they were charging a small levy plus their local fees, I hadn't heard that they were now charging the full $5k per child.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest98336

@scattley Eeek! School fees on top of school fees... :-(

I have a budget of $20k pa tops which I though would cover things, but maybe not...

And as for finding a suitable school. One that I can afford. One that I can actually get into... Home-schooling feels like an option!

• 1 month later...
@scattley Eeek! School fees on top of school fees... :-(

I have a budget of $20k pa tops which I though would cover things, but maybe not...

And as for finding a suitable school. One that I can afford. One that I can actually get into... Home-schooling feels like an option!

We are in Sydney on a 457 , our children aren't classed as international students , according to the department of education they're Temorary residents , we pay $4500 a year for our youngest 2 ( 12 & 15 ) and our eldest (17) is $5500 a year , the fees go up along with the years !! This gets paid direct to the education board who will then grant a Permission to Enrol which the school needs before the children start .We also pay around $600 each for the individual school semester fees , ours go to public schools . We currently in the process of changing to a PR visa as we won't have to pay the education board fees which to be honest can't come soon enough !!! I've got lots of Australian friends who can't believe how much 457 visa holders are charged for sending our kids to school !!! Especially as we pay the same taxes etc as every other Australian resident !!!!!

I've got lots of Australian friends who can't believe how much 457 visa holders are charged for sending our kids to school !!! Especially as we pay the same taxes etc as every other Australian resident !!!!!

I look at it differently. The tax we pay over our life is sort of averaged out, we all use services more when we are young (in education) and old (more healthcare needs), although we pay most of our tax in the middle of our lives. I see that tax is not paying just for needs here and now, if that were the case, I should be paying less tax than you because I am not sending any children to school. So temporary visa holders, are here for a short period of time and the rationale, is why should the Australian tax payer support the education of people that will not pay into the system over their lifetime.

And there are favourable tax rules too, temporary residents don't pay tax on worldwide income, permanent visa holders do. I pay thousands of dollars more in tax because I am permanent than I would if I were temporary.

I look at it differently. The tax we pay over our life is sort of averaged out, we all use services more when we are young (in education) and old (more healthcare needs), although we pay most of our tax in the middle of our lives. I see that tax is not paying just for needs here and now, if that were the case, I should be paying less tax than you because I am not sending any children to school. So temporary visa holders, are here for a short period of time and the rationale, is why should the Australian tax payer support the education of people that will not pay into the system over their lifetime.

And there are favourable tax rules too, temporary residents don't pay tax on worldwide income, permanent visa holders do. I pay thousands of dollars more in tax because I am permanent than I would if I were temporary.

Oh, I understand why it is this way !! Bottom line is it was our choice to come here !! We never intended to go back to the UK , it's just been a long 2 years waiting for our chance to change to a PR visa !! Trying to find $16,000 a year for public school hasn't been easy but definitely worth it !!! On a positive schooling is far better here than in the UK so it's been money well spent :)

Can anyone answer how quick is it to enroll in school or does it depend on the school/college? We are arriving in November and need to find my son (17 yrs) a school or college before February, but we don't know what area we are staying in yet (other than 'Brisbane') so we were hoping to have a look round when we arrived. Just concerned it may be too late by then.

Would they even ask whether you were on a visa though- so long as you have a fixed address? Just a thought....

Every school is obliged to ask for a copy of an Australian birth certificate or a relevant visa. There are no ways to get around that.

Ours started school fairly quickly , we went to the school with visa , passports, proof of address and the principle signs the permission to enrol form. This was sent off to the education board along with the payment and they then send back the official 'permission to enrol ' form. You have to get this back to the school before they can start. They can't start school without it. It took about 2 weeks to come back. Only problem with arriving in November is that the schools break up for summer holidays and don't go back until beginning of February ?