college 16 17 year old son

Guest guest95482

Guest guest95482

We plan to move over before Christmas on a 457 whilst we put in for permanent residency. My son is doing GCSE's and wants to do plumbing, welding or sports but doesn't want to go to university. Are there any courses or colleges he can attend? Or could he work? He will be 17 in February 2015. Not sure he is going to have many options so im worried. Other children are 3,4 and 11. Possibly going to Queensland but nothing define. Thanks.

Why don't you just wait for your PR visa to come through? He would have better options then, it is going to be difficult to find an apprenticeship on a 457 visa and college will be expensive. How old will he be when he moves? School leaving age in Australia is 17 not 16.

Why don't you just wait for your PR visa to come through? He would have better options then, it is going to be difficult to find an apprenticeship on a 457 visa and college will be expensive. How old will he be when he moves? School leaving age in Australia is 17 not 16.

You can officially leave at the end of year 10 here in WA Rupert if you have a full time job or are going to study at TAFE. I agree though about waiting for PR, as you'd end up paying higher fees until you had PR status, in some states also you have to pay for schooling (this comes into WA next year I believe).

Guest guest95482

Ye could do that he will then have started college in uk tho so would we be better to wait till his course finishes (not sure if 1 or 2 years). He is 16 now 17 next Feb. Cheers.

Guest guest95482

Ye could do that he will then have started college in uk tho so would we be better to wait till his course finishes (not sure if 1 or 2 years). He is 16 now 17 next Feb. Cheers.

To be honest I don't understand this thread. When are you applying for the permanent visa and when are you thinking of moving on a 457 visa? You keep mentioning he is 17 in February 2015 but I am unclear why this is relevant, without knowing your plans for applying for visas and moving? If you were able to explain what you are trying to do more clearly, then you will get better replies. As for staying in education, well under 18s can always go on the visa whether in education or not, so again your timings are important here.

Guest guest95482

You asked me what his age was so I stated it again. People don't always have all the information due to work etc. It is unclear why you mention him going on the visa as that is not relevant. If you dont understand then don't reply. Thanks for the info Ali that's great. :)