Bisbane schools state or private

hedgehog

What info do you have on state or private schools in the Brisbane area, we have 2 girls aged 7 come sept any info on schools how good they are costs etc. I would probably use the state system but my wife would like to use a private school if costs are not too high.

Guest alison

We are moving up to Brissy this year sometime from NSW. We have bought a copy of the school report published in the Courier Mail (april 3rd 2006) which is interesting and has made us dismiss - rightly or wrongly - areas immediately. I think to have it posted here was A$7. You can just go through by results and see for yourslef, top scoring girls school was Brisbane Girls Grammar I think about A$10k-12 pa for high school years. But some of the state schools score nealry as well. We are looking in the west at Kenmore and Indoroopilly State High incase we cant afford private. Some State Highs have catchmet areas which we are now looking at.

hope it help

alison

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alison

Its by school name so if you have a name or 2 I can look at the % of students achieveing equilavent of A levels/

a

Im not sure how the statistics work here but remember due to some areas being much less populated,hence,,less students ,the school may be lower down the list but actualy be a very good school,i know the local charts in the uk had one of the areas best schools near the bottom %wise but that was because it only had half the number of kids to a normally populated school.not sure if im right about here ,maybe someone will shed some light ,,any teachers reading????????

Cal x

Guest Scotty Dog

Hi guys,

I am a teacher in one of the bigger private schools in Brisbane, so I can probably help you. I have put a lot of info on my other post about this (Debut post from Springfield Lakes), so check that post out in the "Welcome" forum.

Up here in Brisbane the Overall Position (equivalent of A-Level for uni entry) is worked out at the end of Year 12. The ratings range from OP1 (top mark possible) through to OP25 (why did you bother). Most uni courses insist on a minimum OP score, a bit like a minimum A-Level score, before accepting candidates eg: Medicine at UQ (University of Queensland) would be pretty demanding so you would probably have to get an OP1 or OP2 to get in. Interestingly, my profession requires only an OP12 or better! Scary......

In the "Courier-Mail" paper, Brisbane's only newspaper by the way, they recently published league tabled for the first time (yuk). These league tables are based on %age of Year 12 pupils attaining OP1-OP15 (rough equivalent of A-Level A-C). Bear in mind, when looking at certain private school figures, that independent schools can channel their lower students into vocational or "non-OP" courses and thus inflate their percentage in this report. In short, don't use just stats as a guide to choosing the best school for your son and daughter. Also, remember that the figures shown may represent a particular cohort at a particular time: the stats don't necessarily indicate the quality of teaching in any sector. If you really are a stats freak, at least try and find out the trend for your chosen school over a suitable period of time (eg 5 years) rather than relying on just this year's report as a guide.

Incidentally, English and Maths are compulsory until the end of Year 12 although all other subjects are elective in most schools. To go to uni, you need a minimum rating of SA1 (Sound Achievement Rank 1) which is the equivalent of a C-.

Hope this all helps!

Guest bernie

Hi hedgehog, we are looking at schools in brisbane outer suburbs too so if you find out names of good primary and secondary schools would like to from you. We have a 5/9 year old and have just started the TRA application(!) Thanks

Guest Davidgolf

Hi my name is Gabrielle and i am 9 years old i am going to pirvate school in bissy i am really excited my school uniformam is really cooooool!!!!!!! i am going to John Pal College.

• 4 months later...
Guest The Fletchers

Hi im Holly i turned 11 at the start of july. Me and my family are moving just after christmas what year will i be in ?

ps i am moving to brisbane:wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping thread up again! My job tonight is searching out info on schools in Brisbane suburbs (so sorry to those who are thinking 'not her again'!)

This may be a daft question, but do kids not do a GCSE equivalent at age 15/16 -why is the 'Overall Position' or whatever its called, an A level equivalent? (What age are kids in year 12?)

Any info anyone has about how to compare schools/academic achievements would be gratefully appreciated.

Kath

Bumping thread up again! My job tonight is searching out info on schools in Brisbane suburbs (so sorry to those who are thinking 'not her again'!)

This may be a daft question, but do kids not do a GCSE equivalent at age 15/16 -why is the 'Overall Position' or whatever its called, an A level equivalent? (What age are kids in year 12?)

Any info anyone has about how to compare schools/academic achievements would be gratefully appreciated.

Kath

Hi Kath

This is a bit out of date but it may give you some idea of how schools rank compared to others.

couriermail.com.au Queensland school OPs 2006

Daphne

Hi I am looking at schools for the North lakes area of Brisbane, I am hoping to be moving aug 2009, my eldest will be 6 turning 7 in the sept and I have a 4 year old who will be joining school at the start of there term, does anyone have any idea where i can look at the independent and state schools in this area?

Archived