Primary schools : Sutherlandshire

whoiam

Hi guys- hoping people in Oz have woken up by now! :rolleyes:

Just looking for people's opinions on schools in the shire-- any personal experiences? I need ( as we all do) a good primary for my kids-- somewhere they will feel at home(they are coming from the Uk) , where they will feel welcomed and happy, and a good place for academic excellence. An after school club will be great if present. Not too bothered about sports as my son couldn't care less.

Public or Catholic schools are both ok-- just that it should be a good school.

I would be grateful for people's opinion, and please pass on any hearsay as well:biggrin:!

My eldest (and youngest after Feb) goes to Engadine West Public and I don't have a bad word to say about it. Fantastic school, very community minded, great teachers, parents involved and included, good reputation. I also have friends with children at St John Bosco Catholic primary and Gymea Bay Public, again, great schools. Don't know much about the many other schools in Sutherland Shire, but to be honest you'd probably be hard pushed to find a bad one. I would think that there is more likely to be a transient population, and therefore a less stable school population with people coming and going, where there are high proportions of flats/units in Miranda and Sutherland etc, but that is only a guess really.

Just be a bit careful with the catchments. We are in the next suburb but in the catchment, whereas my friends are in the next road to the school but are out of area.

My eldest (and youngest after Feb) goes to Engadine West Public and I don't have a bad word to say about it. Fantastic school, very community minded, great teachers, parents involved and included, good reputation. I also have friends with children at St John Bosco Catholic primary and Gymea Bay Public, again, great schools. Don't know much about the many other schools in Sutherland Shire, but to be honest you'd probably be hard pushed to find a bad one. I would think that there is more likely to be a transient population, and therefore a less stable school population with people coming and going, where there are high proportions of flats/units in Miranda and Sutherland etc, but that is only a guess really.

Just be a bit careful with the catchments. We are in the next suburb but in the catchment, whereas my friends are in the next road to the school but are out of area.

Thanks for pointing out the catchment issue-- I was under the impression that if you are in the suburb that was enough! I am hoping to visit a few schools just to get a feel for the place as well as see the facilities -- I hope the schools wouldn't mind.