Private school vs State school in Perth, WA

Kruti

Hi all,

My children both go to brilliant private schools in the UK which is high in academics as well as pastoral care with small class sizes and a warm environment. I am not a pushy parent at all, but I do know that the private schools in the UK far outweigh the state schools in terms of lwhat they are taught, how much etc as I have spoken with many teachers who have worked in schools in both sectors. I would like my kids to go to private school in Perth but the waiting lists are enormous! I have heard that the Australian education system is more advanced than the UK and that the state schools are really very good. Is there anyone out there that has experience of both, either as parent, teacher or pupil, that could offer me their knowledge on the pros and cons of each?

It is a huge move to Australia as you all know and of course I am looking forward to what is hopefully a better life. However, I must say that I am concerned about taking my children out of the privately educated british education system into the state australian education system. I am sure that is more to to with old fashioned ideas than what is presently the case but any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help with Perth but have a peak over at our sister forum http://www.perthpoms.com

Our children have had a Catholic Education over here and it's the best thing we have done school wise they have all been excellent.

I've worked in both in Perth. The choice depends as always on money -how much you want to spend on rent, how much on school fees, how old the children are - do you want single sex or coed, what their strengths/interests are, would you be happy with Catholic schools (they take non Catholic if they have space and are cheaper - coed and usually offer same facilities as the expensive schools) or any other religious school? (Catholic schools have their own Ed dept in WA). Top private schools are $20,000 a year for high school in Perth, more chance of a place the older your children are. Most are in high rent areas - eg Western suburbs though there are some good ones in other areas and most are single sex. There are some terrific Govt schools too - rents are higher in their catchment areas.

Hi, thanks for your posts! My daughter is 6 in aug and my son is 3 in august. We are hoping to move next year. I am looking at living in Ocean Reef and perhaps settling my kids to Mullalloo Beach Primary School and applying for the co-ed private school Lake Joondalup Baptist College which they can transfer there when they are offered a place. Any information anyone has on these schools will be great :biggrin:

me too, me too!!! We are hoping to move in August 2013, school to start January 2014. I have my daughter's (who wil be 9 and will start in year 5) name regsitered at three of the girls schools, however, they are not sure about availability. She is crrently in a private prep school and in a (for her school) large calss of 18. I am a bit shocked that in Australia te class ize at the three schools I have applied to is 22-24 maxium and they are always full! Does anyone know of any good schools that have small (ie 18 and below) class sizes?

Thank you - if anyone wants to stay in contact that would be fab as it seems a lot fo our children are similar ages?

Firstly I am sorry for the many spelling mistakes in my previous post! We have applied to St Mary's, St Hilda's and MLC. They all have class sizes of 22-24 and are about $20,000 - $25,000 per year. The one thing that is diferent is that you have to pay an endowment fee when you accept a school place - 50 - 75% of year's (not a term) fee and you do not get this back! This is on top of the registration fee.

I would like to know about smaller class sizes but have had no joy - I did email about 10 schools and all of them were in the low twenties for class size. Ideally we would like a small school and would be prepared to sacrifice some facilities but there does not seem to be one available.

If anyone has nay other information or research to share that would be most welcome.

Firstly I am sorry for the many spelling mistakes in my previous post! We have applied to St Mary's, St Hilda's and MLC. They all have class sizes of 22-24 and are about $20,000 - $25,000 per year. The one thing that is diferent is that you have to pay an endowment fee when you accept a school place - 50 - 75% of year's (not a term) fee and you do not get this back! This is on top of the registration fee.

I would like to know about smaller class sizes but have had no joy - I did email about 10 schools and all of them were in the low twenties for class size. Ideally we would like a small school and would be prepared to sacrifice some facilities but there does not seem to be one available.

If anyone has nay other information or research to share that would be most welcome.

Our three went to MLC and I have friends who have girls at St Mary's, St Hilda's and PLC. I wouldn't worry too much about there being 22 - 24 in the classes. We found the girls had a lot of individual attention and that class size is good for friendships. I remember looking at some small schools in the UK and saying how lovely it was that there were only 16 - 18 in the class and the teacher said they like at least 18 for a good social mix.

I spent quite a lot of time in school (helping in class/library etc) and was always impressed with quiet, focused atmosphere in the class. The girls listened to their teachers and then got on with the task set.

However, if you want a smaller school you could try Moerlina or Quintillian in Mount Claremont or there are Steiner/Montessori schools. They're all rather different than I expect your daughter's prep school is though!

Caramac thank you so much for your comments. We are validating our visa in Nov/Dec this year (hubby is in Afghanistan at the moment and drew the line to me and EB 'popping over' on our own) and so are looking at all three schools then. St Hilda's have said probably yes, MLC almost defintely no and St Mary's very much on the fence for January 2014 admission. Ultimately we may not get a choice! Could I be very personal and ask what swayed your choice of school? EB is not very academic or particularly sporty but enjoys school immensely. We find concentration is a bit of a chore for her! She is very good at Maths (high 90's in tests) but gaining very low scores in English/Spelling although has a very fertile imagination so does well in creative writing except for her presentation. She is left handed and was very premature so is a year behind in England but will be in exactly the right year group for Australia. She loves singing, plays piano and takes speech and drama. Whilst she likes people she also is very happy with her own company and at her prep school will often go and do some gardening or go on the computer on her own for breaks. Her prep school was originally just for boys and has lots of sport and outdoor play which suits her very much. She is a challenge! We want her to have a forever school as she has now had four schools (because of moving with the military) and Australia will be her fifth school.

• 11 months later...

Hands down best secondary public school is Rossmoyne. If you want to spend some money on private school I can recommend Murdoch College, and I have 2 children there in year 9 and 11. It is a smallish private school, class sizes very good, all kids know each other and super pastoral care. The school is co-ed which was important for us too. The other really big bonus is, is that the school is on the premises of Murdoch University and the kids already at an early age get exposure to university life. It makes the transition when they finish high school so much easier to go to Uni. No matter is they chose Murdoch or another Uni, it feels natural for them. We have tried several schools, amongst them a catholic school (extremely restrictive !!!!), but since they are in murdoch, have never looked back. Costs between 14'000 and 18'000. No ridiculous non - refundable fees upfront.

Murdoch College didn't make the top 50 schools in terms of results last year. However along with Rossmoyne, Willeton and Leeming did - in same area and good govt schools. $18,000 divided by 40 weeks of the school year means you are paying $450 a week for your kids to go there. That's alot of rent money that could be used to get a house within the catchment area of a much better performing govt school. 81% students at Murdoch College did stage 3 exams last year (like A level), only 6% achieved an A grade. Rossmoyne - 83% did stage 3, 21% got an A. I know which I would choose.

I get your point, but this thread did not start with somebody looking for a school that puts out the highest number of A-grade students. The question was to have a school with small class sizes and a personal approach where the kids are happy. Although i am living in Shelley, and hence have free access to Rossmoyne, I would never expose my children to such a massive, anonymous school where a child is a number, not a person. i guess you get what you pay for. My 2 kids are very happy in Murdoch and achieve very well. Teachers and all students from other years know them by name and at a young age they get their exposure to University life. if you have children on the other hand who are happy to disappear in a sea of peers, then we could save some nice $$ by sending them to Rossmoyne. We chose to invest in the future of our kids who like an individual approach. I think that is what searching for a school is about, apart from looking at the % of A grade students (assuming that our children are A-grade capable anyway).

Murdoch College didn't make the top 50 schools in terms of results last year. However along with Rossmoyne, Willeton and Leeming did - in same area and good govt schools. $18,000 divided by 40 weeks of the school year means you are paying $450 a week for your kids to go there. That's alot of rent money that could be used to get a house within the catchment area of a much better performing govt school. 81% students at Murdoch College did stage 3 exams last year (like A level), only 6% achieved an A grade. Rossmoyne - 83% did stage 3, 21% got an A. I know which I would choose.

I think it's about choosing the right school - we live in Leeming and chose our local primary and high school, the latter which has good results, AEP programme and programmes such as Music and science academy. It also has an education support centre and my daughter in particular has said that this is a great way for people to accept difference in others - that the world is made up of people with very different abilities. I don't agree that in state school you're just a number - that hasn't been my experience of the school we chose.

Edited by ali

Just joining this thread as we have just received our visa and need to start planning our move.

Our 3 children are all in private schools, single sex, 22 in a class but the cost is only about £4500 each. To be honest £££ doesn't always buy you a better education. 2 of them a very happy 1 is ok but I find his school too disciplinarian dictatorial and very restrictive. I want them to get good grades (and they are certainly capable) but more importantly I want them to develop into well rounded adults in a caring environment and for them to be happy.

My dilemma is that we were thinking of staying close to my SIL when we emigrate; close enough that the children could cycle round to their Aunts! After all why move to the other side of the world and then live an hour or more from her! But she has settled in Warnbro and all the reports are the schools aren't great round there (and we may have to rethink depending on where hubbie will be based for work and our location if I'm to start my own business).

I'm really interested in hearing about other options and other areas so it's great to see some constructive feedback to the PO's question. With 3 children $14-18k each seems a bit too much for us but there are always other options.

Is the PO just looking in central/ western suburbs?

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lou8670

I don't agree that in state school you're just a number - that hasn't been my experience of the school we chose.

I have not said that it is a general problem with state schools, not at all. I only gave you my impression after having had a very good look at a massive school like Rossmoyne High and concluded that it is not only about the % of A-grade students a school 'pumps out'. I appreciate a school that offers the kids good support and if they want also an environment for the arts. We found the right balance with our choice of Murdoch. I just could not see the logic of one of the posters here of dividing the school costs by 40 weeks and then exclusively looking at the number of kids that leave school with high grades. There is more to life than that, I would hope.

It looks like everybody on this forum is happy with the choice he/she made. That is great. So i conclude that ours system works well.

I'll pm you

Hi, thanks all for your comments regarding my original post. Yes I am really looking for a small private school with great pastoral care, a good amount of emphasis on the arts and I am happy to do additional work to prop up their studies to achieve the right grades. Murdoch sounds absolutely perfect but the fees are quite high. This may be something we can afford at the time because presently we haven't made our move yet, and without knowing what our earnings are, these things are hard to accurately budget for.

This list of schools sounds interesting, please can you send me a link? I am looking near the North (Joondalup) area primarily, so maybe if anyone has any information on good private or state schools in that area, that would be great.

Kruti x

• 2 months later...

Also it's useful to remember that stats can be deceptive. Murdoch is tiny in comparison to Rossmoyne, in fact there is little to compare between the two schools. But you get a child that is educated in the round... it's not just about grade, it's about how the child grows within the community, takes part in the non-academic side of life, the relationships they make and the memories they take with them into their adult life. Yes grades are useful and important, and they do get good grades... something like 97% went to university last year - you don't always need the very top grades.

This is a great school for international students from all countries. They have an EFL school if English is not the first language/not spoken. They are completely flexible about the year group your child joins UNLIKE STATE SCHOOLS WHO ARE INFLEXIBLE! When we came over here my daughter had just started Y6 in the UK, but because of her August birthday was put into Y4 in the local primary school!!!! Big mistake, she hated it from the start and it put her back a long way (and that was at a top performing state primary). As soon as I heard that she could go straight Y7 the following year (where she would have been in the UK) we jumped at it.. and she's progressing well. Conversely, my son was struggling with his (UK correct) year group and was offered the chance to drop down a year which he accepted, and he has improved tremendously since. The home classes (teacher advisory groups TAGs) are not year based, having students from all years in them. This prevents students being silo'd into a specific year and therefore have friends throughout the school, with the older students helping the younger.

Also, the fees quoted are not correct - they are $13500. Murdoch has also had a number of children return to the school this year after trying other schools - there were some challenges under the previous leadership - and there is a drive to increase the size of the school in order to increase facilities and attractiveness to top quality teaching staff. The new leadership is fantastic, driving forward a friendly community with rigour and integrity. Save on high rents, use your money to the benefit of your children not the landlords!!

http://www.murdochcollege.wa.edu.au

Our daughters school is split into Prep, 1 & 2 before proceeding to main campus for rest of primary junior years.

The classes are between 13 to 16 with teacher and teachers aide in each class.

That is in Melbourne, Victoria so could be different situation in other states.

I take it your annual figure range above is before school uniforms, trips, bags and extra school functions/clubs/sport.

I have not said that it is a general problem with state schools, not at all. I only gave you my impression after having had a very good look at a massive school like Rossmoyne High and concluded that it is not only about the % of A-grade students a school 'pumps out'. I appreciate a school that offers the kids good support and if they want also an environment for the arts. We found the right balance with our choice of Murdoch. I just could not see the logic of one of the posters here of dividing the school costs by 40 weeks and then exclusively looking at the number of kids that leave school with high grades. There is more to life than that, I would hope.

It looks like everybody on this forum is happy with the choice he/she made. That is great. So i conclude that ours system works well.

I agree - my daughter (completed year 12 last year) told me that some schools (state and private) invite pupils to sit exams in order to keep their rankings high. I have two very different children, my daughter is academic and got a great ATAR and is now at UWA - my son is into guitar and sport and is a good students but needed an environment that could also cater for him. We were lucky (as I've said before) that our local state school offered both an academic extension programme and science academy for my daughter and a music programme and rock band activity.

Our daughters school is split into Prep, 1 & 2 before proceeding to main campus for rest of primary junior years.

The classes are between 13 to 16 with teacher and teachers aide in each class.

That is in Melbourne, Victoria so could be different situation in other states.

I take it your annual figure range above is before school uniforms, trips, bags and extra school functions/clubs/sport.

Robbery. i would never send my school with such a ridiculous 'endowment fee'.

In Murdoch there is only an enrolment fee. Kids are completely happy there and get integration with the Murdoch University (school and Uni share the same campus) at a very young age.

I went to Scotch College, and my boys are on the list for Scotch - being an Old Scotch Collegian was an advantage, but I see that the list gets shorter as the years go by, and if you apply at age 5, you could expect a place at the end of primary. The class sizes are smaller, and there is certainly excellent pastoral care, the school goes for the international baccalaureate program (IB) which opens up a lot of the world for uni place application. It is expensive though. We may not take up the places we have on offer though.

Another option, very different, is Thornlie Christian College. It is a Christian school in fact as well as in name. The pastoral care is excellent, the academic standards are good, and it is a school that can be highly recommended. You will need a recommendation from the youth pastor as well as two others. Much cheaper too.

Our boys attend the Northshore tutorial school. I would highly recommend you consider this, or similar bodies. The focus is on academia, and the results speak for themselves. Why should you do this? You open up the opportunities of success at GATE (gifted and talented) exams and scholarships to various schools, with appreciable reduction in fees. More importantly though is the security your child experiences when the pressure at school is reduced - lessons in English and Maths are just so much easier, leaving the child free to explore science, music and other subjects at school. Accessing a scholarship is also pretty cool.

Robbery. i would never send my school with such a ridiculous 'endowment fee'.

In Murdoch there is only an enrolment fee. Kids are completely happy there and get integration with the Murdoch University (school and Uni share the same campus) at a very young age.

Have no idea what you are saying?

Both my children until recently went to a private school. My eldest never really fit in there and we wasted 2.5 years when really I should have sent her to the local high school with not such a good reputation. She fits in there and is more comfortable. We as parents don't consider this when we pick a school for them, my daughter never wanted to go to the school I chose and she was right. I should have listened to her. She is working better at the not so good school and the support I have had from the school has been second to none.