• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
      Liked
      67 times
      Rep

Why is cub scouts so expensive?

Hi
      Our son attended is first Cub Scout session last night at Kawana. He had a fantastic time.

About 10 mins before it ended, the leader handed us some forms to fill out and advised us of the fees. We couldnt believe it. They want $114 per month to join.
      We thought it would just be subs every week (a couple of $$) and maybe donations every now and then. even an aussie couple we got talking to were shocked. They asked if they could wait a few weeks to see if there child likes and settles. The leader said they can have 1 more free week and then fee due.

Our son wants to go back and we will happily pay the fees but we feel its just a bit steap at over $1300 a year plus uniform, plus camps.

Jill
      xx

Warren (37) Jill (35) Liam (16) Jack (11)
      VISA175 MODL GRANTED 26/08/08.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      390 times
      Rep
      Wow! That really is very expensive.

Have you the opportunity to find out if it costs the same everywhere?

I might be asking the leaders why it is so expensive.
      XXX
      Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.
      <><

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      10549 times
      Rep
      Dont pay !! Your being screwed !

My son is now in scouts after starting in cubs a few years ago. All it costs is $8 pr night and an insurance fee payable every year of $120ish. Camps etc average $20 a go. His scout book was a one off fee of $10 and i cant remember how much his shirt was but i think it was around $40.If they go swimming one night instead of to the scout hut it costs us pool entry fee's nothing more.

If you go to scouting queensland website it should give you more info, i would ask your local club for a breakdown as it shouldnt cost anywere near that.(Edited to add- i have just looked at their website and it says $50 pr term for scouts?????? are you sure the figure they told you was not annualy as this would tie in with being approx what yearly insurance costs)

Cal x
      Last edited by calNgary; 18-02-2011 at 09:36 AM.
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      Liked
      67 times
      Rep
      Thanks Cal
      I am going to ask them again. They have given us a breakdowm of last years subscription and every month its a different price. eg: Jan 2010 $114, June 2010 $85.
      When we were talking to leader he was going on about it costing $5000 for water, $12000 just to open door and other things.
      I will ring him to find out.
      xxx

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      31371 times
      Rep
      That does sound expensive, the air-force cadets is $120 per year and for that they get to go on interstate camps etc with nothing else to pay. I am not sure if all the cadets are like this but it may be worth considering when they are older.
      If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1718 times
      Rep
      If it's cheaper in June, it's probably a yearly charge that expires at the end of december, so the january price is for a whole year, but in june you're only paying for 7 months.

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      10549 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by THORPES View Post
      Thanks Cal
      I am going to ask them again. They have given us a breakdowm of last years subscription and every month its a different price. eg: Jan 2010 $114, June 2010 $85.
      When we were talking to leader he was going on about it costing $5000 for water, $12000 just to open door and other things.
      I will ring him to find out.
      xxx
      Sounds odd to me, i think i would be looking at other scout groups, theres normally a few around, down here with have 3 within a 10 min drive.

Cal x
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      753 times
      Rep
      our Scout group here in Vic said $140 per quarter registration fees plus $30 per term subs and camps etc on top.

Julie x
      JulieStewart2kids ACS passed skills assessment 15-1-09 Java MODL/CSL!!! App 175 visa 22 Jan 09. Vic rej 16th May 09. CO 2/6 Meds 10/06 PCC 22/6 meds all ok 17/7/09 (mine referred to MOC 7/7/09). GOT 175 Visa Granted 27/7/09. Arrived Mornington, Melbourne 25/02/2010..

Title
      Forever Young
      Liked
      26 times
      Rep
      My daughter just joined cubs last week, I have just paid $100 insurance cover ...an annual fee
      $20 registration (one off)
      $30 Branch fee (one off)

$40 section fee Per term

Title
      Liked
      67 times
      Rep
      Thanks for that. I am probably having a blonde moment.
      x

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast