Whats the best bank to open in Aus ???????

Guest james huddersfield

Guest james huddersfield

Im in the process of looking to open a bank account in Aus, (Perth) Checked out a few websites, looked for store availability, charges ,fees, still no clue!!!!! Anyone any ideas ????? :eek:

Im in the process of looking to open a bank account in Aus, (Perth) Checked out a few websites, looked for store availability, charges ,fees, still no clue!!!!! Anyone any ideas ????? :eek:

There is no "best bank" in Australia. Any more than anyone could unequivocally say there is a best bank in UK. Just pick one, they are much of a muchness, you will find pleased and not so pleased customers of every bank. We picked NAB, my money goes in, I pay bills, get cash out if ATMs, all works fine.

Don't forget, if you are opening the account from the UK, it will be provisional, you need to make sure they activate it fully on your first visit.

We chose ANZ and although they are fine now, initially they were very unprofessional, we had to visit the branch three times before our cards would work.

We started with ANZ then switched to Commonwealth a few months after we got here. No issues with ANZ except they started charging account keeping fees and we chose Commonwealth (who aren't charging us account keeping fees) as we already had a mortgage with them. It turned out to be a good call as they have branches handy for home and work and lots of ATMs near work. They used to have one near home as well but that has been taken out. I also like the online banking they have.

It doesn't really matter what bank you choose now. If you find that it doesn't work for you once you are in Australia you can always switch to someone else.

I am with Bankwest for everything and I think they are exceptional. I can't honestly say a bad word against them. To be honest I think they are all much of a muchness though on the whole.

so they're not exceptional ? They're average, same as the others.