Hi off backpacking in oz soon :)

Guest chris123321

Guest chris123321

Hi im chris, im off to australia on the 27th of august to go backpacking,

18, going alone, working holiday visa and only taking about a grand with me absolutely bricking it to be perfectly honest!

Gonna be lurking about these forums to pic up tips and some things about oz,

Cheers

Oh and take a look at my blog : http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/burger-boy/

:)

Good luck to you!

One of my lads did it in reverse with only about £300 to his name and he was fine - I am sure you will be too! Check out The Gumtree for some house/flat shares, work opportunities etc As long as you keep in touch with your olds (and they can keep in touch with you) all will be well (can you tell I am one of the olds???). Try and avoid hitch hiking - not all that common in Aus these days especially since we had the back packer murders (not trying to scare you just telling you why hitching isnt so popular any more) - the buses are good for long distance travel unless you are flush with cash and can afford to fly.

I did it in the 70s - single female no worries so you will be fine.

Guest moonraker1961

I'm sure you'll be fine,I did the reverse,left Adelaide in 1979 when I was 18,parents were horrified as it was'nt that common for a female back then to go it alone.You can always work the Harvest Trail,lots of kids do at your age.Good luck and keep us posted so we can look after you lol (sorry mothering instinct kicking in again lol )

Hi Chris,

My daughter is 19 and in Brisbane, she has been backpacking since March this year and her dad and I have bailed her out a couple of times with money. They couldn't earn much doing harvest work so ended up working as waitresses in Brisbane. I think I'm right in saying that if you do 3 months farm/harvest work then you can extend your visa for another year. You'll meet up with loads of other brits and make some great mates, any questions just ask.

Make sure you keep contact with home and let people know where you are and where you are en route to, keep your bags near to you when travelling and stick to the well known bus companies for travelling long distances.

Good luck with it all

Blondie

Guest sheena

hiya chris! really enjoy your trip, but as another post said please keep in contact with your parents etc, they will be worried sick about you!!

where in oz are you going to be going to?? or no set plans yet?

sheena :wubclub:

Guest chris123321

Cheers for the welcome guys, look forward to asking many newbie questions lol!

Im heading to sydney for 2 days then to a farm near forbes for some australian farming experience! lol

Cheers

Hi Chris

I backpacked OZ in 2004, like you left UK on my own, but I wasn't for long. Never met so many awesome people in such a short period of time (well exept maybe here on PIO). I stayed for the full 12 months and was devastated to leave. I'm back living in Oz now (again came over on my own) and have no plans of going back to UK in a hurry! Its tough at times money wise but thats when you stop and get another job. You'll love every minute!!!! Any questions, just ask someone on here'll know the answer! Have fun!

Laura

• 5 years later...

Whilst i don't want to dampen your enthusiasm and i totally think you should go and do it, im going to play devils advocate here. The fact that you're only taking a grand comes with its own problems as far as it'l only last you a few weeks in Oz so you'l be reliant on getting a job very quickly. But potentially the main problem is the need for 5000 aussie dollars as a requirement for the WHV. They don't check everyone at the airport so you might get through fine, but if you get stopped and checked and cant provide proof that you have $5000 or the equivalent of, they wont let you into the country.

Archived