Help Appreciated:) From Canada to Australia with love!

Gianni13

My girlfriend and I will be coming to Australia for 1 year in September on a WHV. We are landing in Brisbane!

I know and have done a lot of research of what to expect, but talking to a few people I'm sure helps.

What advice and tips do you have pre-arrival, on arrival and maybe shortly after?

We understand we need an Oz Tax number, bank account, funds, etc.

Some questions:

How to find jobs right away on arrival?

Should we stay in cheap hostels and go from place to place or are other cheaper means available?

What about transportation? Possibly buy a really cheap vehicle?

What areas offer the best opportunity?

How to transfer saved money back home?

We hope to have an amazing experience, see a new country and meet some nice people on our journey! But we are also hoping to work hard and save money as well.

Thank you so much in advance,

Gianni

You're coming on a WHV and you think you'll have saved money to send back home? :laugh:

On a WHV you're only allowed to stay with each employer for six months, so you'll be looking for casual work and temp/contract jobs only

If you want to work in your usual occupation, look on seek.com.au to identify which temp agencies recruit for your field - then go and register with them when you arrive. I always suggest actually going to their office (dressed smartly) and trying to see someone, rather than registering online - that way they're more likely to remember you when a job comes up.

If you want to work in hospitality, you'll need to get a Responsible Service of Alcohol certificate.

A hostel is your best bet to start with as you'll meet other backpackers and can make contacts for sharing transport etc.

I think Brisbane is a great place to start because Queensland has so many of the "must see" sights in Australia.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

i guess a lot of the moving around will depend on the jobs and how long they are.

is it really that hard to save money? I thought it would be a good opportunity

No, I was also puzzled about the saving money bit when I read your thread t'other day. Australia is expensive anyway and you will be spending on temporary accommodation, buying a vehicle for a year etc. I would expect to be spending more than you earn if anything, thus relying on the funds you bring with you. If you want to save, stay put! If you want to travel and have a life experiemce then come to Australia.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

i guess a lot of the moving around will depend on the jobs and how long they are.

is it really that hard to save money? I thought it would be a good opportunity

Can you explain why you thought that? What work do you do? If you're in a job that pays high salaries on contract work, you might be right - but most WHV'ers do hospitality work on low pay.

I could understand it if you were going to a cheap country like Thailand or Indonesia, but you're coming to a developed country with a cost of living that's similar to most other developed countries.

From what I've heard, the cost of living in Australia isn't much different from Canada, and if anything it's higher.

Edited by Marisawright

Can you explain why you thought that? What work do you do? If you're in a job that pays high salaries on contract work, you might be right - but most WHV'ers do hospitality work on low pay.

I could understand it if you were going to a cheap country like Thailand or Indonesia, but you're coming to a developed country with a cost of living that's similar to most other developed countries.

From what I've heard, the cost of living in Australia isn't much different from Canada, and if anything it's higher.

Hey, I'm just learning. Thought Australian minimum wage was pretty good?

How much do hospitality jobs pay?

You won't save money here unless you were to work in a good paid job and not do any activities. I'm on a WHV and quite a lot of the time I find it hard financially and feel ripped off sometimes. Money just seeks to disappear here and I'm not the only backpacker that feels like that. The wages are better though and its a good experience for a year or 2. If you want to come and save enough to travel around then definitely come but if saving enough for home Is more important then maybe have a rethink. If you do come then have a great time! :)