West coast budget

Quokka2005

Has anyone been from perth to broome or further up? I'm trying to work out what sort of budget I'd need. I'd be looking to travel with other backpackers and camp. From what I've noticed there's not much tourist stuff that actually costs much money, not like the east coast. So it would be mostly petrol I think and food

I realy really want to go to see the red dog statue

red-dog.jpg

There ya go - saved you a small fortune. Wonderful thing this internet.

Seriously though, there is a lot to see, but lots of travelling involved. I never made it past Kalbarri. Bit sad really considering how long I lived there.

Haha ive looked at quite a lot of pics and i love the film. Its really important to my whole trip to aus that i get to see it if i can.

Most of the west coast looks amazing, its juat a shame its soooo huge!! I really want to see esperance and albany too but the weathers a bit rubbish so i might hold off and try swueeze it in before i leave

Haha ive looked at quite a lot of pics and i love the film. Its really important to my whole trip to aus that i get to see it if i can.

Most of the west coast looks amazing, its juat a shame its soooo huge!! I really want to see esperance and albany too but the weathers a bit rubbish so i might hold off and try swueeze it in before i leave

Prioritise, Jock.

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/fuelwatch/pages/home.jspx

Last year, the round trip from Mackay to Kununurra, WA (7000km) was $1033. Hope that helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

I'd pick broome over esperance at this time of the year. Im guessing it would probably be a better experience. Im freezing where i am now and my boss said esperance would be worse. Just hoping i can do the bottom of wa at a later date.

I asked my friend how much they spent and they replied today saying it was $1000 each for petrol and food. I think he might have slept in his car though. Id like to do it with more than one person this time if i can so i guess it would be even cheaper

I'd pick broome over esperance at this time of the year. Im guessing it would probably be a better experience. Im freezing where i am now and my boss said esperance would be worse. Just hoping i can do the bottom of wa at a later date.

I asked my friend how much they spent and they replied today saying it was $1000 each for petrol and food. I think he might have slept in his car though. Id like to do it with more than one person this time if i can so i guess it would be even cheaper

Heading North at this time of year sounds like a good plan. Esperance is fantastic but better in summer. Unfortunately we've only been as far as Kalbarri, which is worth a visit for the gorges but not much more. We have lots of friends who say it's beautiful up near Monkey Mia and you can walk out to the reef there. Always fancied diving with the whale sharks. Maybe one day.

Weather should be great for a few months in Broome at this time of year. Alternatively get a flight to Darwin. Loads of backpackers there and the weather will be great.

We drove from Perth to Broome - took 3 weeks as we kept stopping off at different places along the way. The weather should be really nice this time of year. We were in a campervan so it didn't cost us very much. My favourite stop off place was Coral Bay. I hope it hasn't gone all touristy since we were there.

Edited by JockinTas

The thing that worries me is work after the money runs out. Briome will have no work cos every backpacker goes there lol. Jake said darwin should have work but i think loads of bavkpackers go there too. I'd applied for a job at cable beach resort a while ago but never got it. I dunno wether to be sensible and try finf another pub job for 6 weeks then get my tax refund sorted in july. I thought the tax stuff was june till the other day

All the places north will be chockers at this time of year, until Octember. Esperance, Denmark and Albany will be almost empty and quite possibly the backpackers will get a better chance of work. Might pay to check it out, Jock. As I said before, prioritise; wage,s or sightseeing.

I read an article saying that Broome swells from 7,000 to upwards of 40,000 during the winter months. Same thing with Kununurra.

Cheers, Bobj.

Has anyone been from perth to broome or further up? I'm trying to work out what sort of budget I'd need. I'd be looking to travel with other backpackers and camp. From what I've noticed there's not much tourist stuff that actually costs much money, not like the east coast. So it would be mostly petrol I think and food

I realy really want to go to see the red dog statue

if you just drive straight to Broome it will be about 4 days and about $450 fuel depending on type of vehicle etc so not that much split a few ways. I don't think you doing a couple of little stops on the way will cost too much and would be a shame to miss out on a few nice spots for the sake of a few extra days.

Nah i want to split it up as much as possible. Definitely spend a few days in each place. I just dont want to run out of money kkol. If i dont go to amy farm work or a pub job now then i'll have around $2,500 but i'll have to find another job eventually. My ideal plan would be to go all the way from perth to darwin then down the centre to see the kangaroo sanctuary thats on tv and uluru. Then if i had to go home after that because of money then i wouldnt be massively upset because the eastcoast, west coast and the centre are my most important areas. Although im hoping i can manage to see a bit of SA abd maybe tasmania or vic

Nah i want to split it up as much as possible. Definitely spend a few days in each place. I just dont want to run out of money kkol. If i dont go to amy farm work or a pub job now then i'll have around $2,500 but i'll have to find another job eventually. My ideal plan would be to go all the way from perth to darwin then down the centre to see the kangaroo sanctuary thats on tv and uluru. Then if i had to go home after that because of money then i wouldnt be massively upset because the eastcoast, west coast and the centre are my most important areas. Although im hoping i can manage to see a bit of SA abd maybe tasmania or vic

Good idea to see a bit because you prob won't do it again?? Jobs in Broome bit of a coin toss really, there is or was a backpackers hotel on the cable beach side I can't remember it's name ( few years since in broome) and this is close to the divers tavern, full of backpackers and potential job info. Enjoy yourself

All the places north will be chockers at this time of year, until Octember. Esperance, Denmark and Albany will be almost empty and quite possibly the backpackers will get a better chance of work. Might pay to check it out, Jock. As I said before, prioritise; wage,s or sightseeing.

I read an article saying that Broome swells from 7,000 to upwards of 40,000 during the winter months. Same thing with Kununurra.

Cheers, Bobj.

Neighbours on our street are from Broome and go back there every winter.

Guest The Pom Queen

Cheers, Bobj.

This is very true. Up here we see all the grey nomads from Vic and NSW at this time of year.

Stacey if you want work go South, if you want lovely weather and tourist things go North. I guess you have changed your mind on farm work again lol.