Dentistry

jessicagrunner

Hi Guys,

always wanted to be a dentist, want to come to aus on a year WHV, just wondered what would it be like for me to train in aus as a dentist, as an international student what are the grade requirements and is there any way of paying the fees in chunks instead of upfront each year?

Guest The Pom Queen

It may be worth while posting in the migration section, as the WHV and the student visa are two different things. I'm not 100% but I sure it's a 3-4 year degree to become a dentist here, so can I ask why you are only looking at a year?

Dentistry as an international student here will cost you tens of thousands in fees. It is a 5 year course in Australia, and admission is very competitive. You would have to complete the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT) and pass this, plus attend a structured interview. Both of these are prior to admission onto a course. This is in addition to having the grades to meet the requirements or to already have an undergraduate degree in a closely related and relevant health subject.

To give you an idea of fees, which would have to be paid upfront before each semester, I've just looked at UQ's fees for Bachelor of Dental Science - currently, per year you are looking at a ball park figure of $60,528. This is based on two semesters per year. Costs in addition to this are necessary vaccinations, living costs and the following course specific:

• Annual CPR recertification (approx $55)
  • Dental loupes (from $700)
  • Dental instruments kit ($700)
  • Dental model ($350)
  • Students are expected to fund travel and living expenses associated with placements, some of which may be outside the Brisbane metropolitan area.
  • First Aid re-certification (approx $120)
  • Senior First Aid Certificate (including CPR) (approx $155)
  • Incidental course materials ($150)
  • Laptop computer ($1,500-$2,000).
  • Head-mounted LED light ($400-$700)
  • Learn-a-Prep block ($60)

Edited by Tickled Pink

It's definite that I want to and will come to Australia for a year on a WHV, but I was just enquiring on here about dentistry, I can obviously study in my home country but I love Australia so wondered if there was any way to study there, but I get it is expensive and probably a bad idea, like I say I am definitely intending to come out for a year to work and experience Australia! I am training as a dental nurse at the moment, always intended to be a dentist but got side tracked somewhere along the way but knew I wanted to be involved in dentistry

Unless you have a serious amount of money this is not a realistic idea. Studying for a medical degree isn't going to provide much time at all to also have a part time job - not that it would probably cover necessary costs anyway. You'd need to have a serious amount of money behind you.

Dental nursing will not cover the necessary entry requirements onto the post grad options here either. It might help get you on to the undergrad course. Things like A levels in chemistry and biology would likely be expected as those are subjects highly regarded by Australian students applying. You'd need to also have passed the IELTS with a minimum score of 7 across all components - this has to be submitted at the time of applying, it is a pre requisite for international students.

I'm slightly wrong with the UMAT test - there is a similar one for intentional students, details below:

International applicants are required to sit the International Student Admissions Test (ISAT). For information on ISAT, see the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) webpage (https://www.isat.acer.edu.au).

Edited by Tickled Pink