How to prepare?

I'm planning my backpacking trip to Australia on Visa 417 beginning in July this year, but I'm having trouble finding out how to.

Australia is such a grant country, that I don't know where to start researching. I know the practical information about bank account, visa, backpacking gear and so, but I'm uncertain as to how I find my way in Australia.

How do/did you prepare for your trip? Have you read about the entire Australia before, or did you do your research on the road?

Thank you so much.

It'll become all the more clearer after you arrive here in Australia. Read up on the back packing forums and the like. While Australia is indeed a big country, many, if not most follow a similar route, with only a few variations. Remember there is a lot of nothing often between A to get to B.

The literally hundreds of thousands of folk already here on 417's will help ease the way. I'd suggest having adequate funding being of more importance.

So you suggest just having a brief overview and then reading up on the details when getting there? :)<br>What route is that? I was thinking about just roaming around, but would it be a good idea plan a route to safe money?

I would do some reading up on the things you want to see and do and where they are and that can provide a good start, but one of the joys of back packing is to be free and be able to change plans as you go. You might get to an area you were only planning a short visit to, find you love it, and decide to spend a big chunk of time there.

If you think there is even a chance you might want to do a second year, then I recommend getting your regional work out of the way first - you would be surprised how many leave it till the last minute and get caught out.

You will also often find at places where people are doing regional work, there will be other backpackers to make friends with and pick there brains or even join them in the travels around.

Read up on the sort of areas that you want to visit. Some things will interest you and some won't. I agree about doing your 2nd year first if you want to do it. I probably should have tried mine. You'll meet people easily as long as you aren't painfully shy, even I met people. HVe a great time!

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't recommend starting in citys such as Sydney it took me a while to get job since so manny backpackers are looking for a job at the same time. As well as that don't buy any packages where they give you a sim, tfn and so on just a waste of many. They make it sound worth it but in fact you can do it easily on your own.

If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

buy a lonely planet book and they will have suggested itineraries. Use that as a start but do not follow it to the letter. Find out where along the way you will likely get work (from backpacker forums) and build that into the plan, but be prepared to change the plan at a moment's notice. Remember your best experiences and favourite memories will probably come when you deviate from the script and do something against the grain. Have fun!