Cattle ranch type work

Quokka2005

I'm not sure if I want to do my 2nd year work but I'm definitely considering it. I'd much rather work with animals than do fruit picking. Does anybody know if it's really difficult to get this kind of work since I don't have a driving licence? I'm not sure where the best areas to look are. I've had a look at Kate's cattle thread

Not having a driving license could be restrictive for working on any sort of cattle farm as driving a farm vehicle would be probably required at some point. Particulalry as cattle farms are usually in very rural areas.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. There doesn't even seem to be much fruit picking work around at the moment either, does it get even quieter in winter?! I keep reading so many backpackers struggling to get it and everybody wants it before these silly tax rules come in

I'll keep an eye out for that then! I'm really torn about doing the work but everybody says I'll regret it if I don't give myself the option. And I'm worried I won't save in Sydney so if something regional with accommodation (or somewhere for a tent!) came up then I'd definitely take it

I've got a few trials coming up for hospitality which I'm grateful for but when I add up rent, food transport etc I'm probably not going to be able to save much money so that's the part that's worrying me. I've looked for pub jobs like what I was doing but there's not as much there at the moment, I've applied for a few over this side but most seem to be in WA

That's good that you have some opportunities.

I know what you mean, Sydney is pricey. Maybe a house share could make it more affordable?

If I was in your position, I would go for the fruit picking option...I can imagine the ranching environment being quite macho.... Fruit picking more sociable. But that's just perception, I could be totally wrong.

Edited by srh82

Grape harvest time coming up in the wine regions....

Most grape harvesting is almost finished now. We've almost finished our harvest. Jock in tas most farms now require a drivers license to operate machinery due to o h and s regulations.

Edited by Guest

There doesn't even seem to be much fruit picking work around at the moment either, does it get even quieter in winter?!

These are the crops being harvested at the moment:

https://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/search.aspx#search.aspx?%255Bobject%2520Object%255D&_suid=1457781289182041190920677036047

does it get even quieter in winter?!

Quite a bit of seasonal work in winter: these are the crops needing extra workers in July, for example:

https://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/search.aspx#search.aspx?%5Bobject%20Object%5D&_suid=145778149970206927166555542499

Guest The Pom Queen
I've got a few trials coming up for hospitality which I'm grateful for but when I add up rent, food transport etc I'm probably not going to be able to save much money so that's the part that's worrying me. I've looked for pub jobs like what I was doing but there's not as much there at the moment, I've applied for a few over this side but most seem to be in WA

Stacey are you bothered where you go? Someone replied to my son the other day who had a live in bar job in Queensland, can't remember info

As long as the place is half decent id be quite happy to go back to Queensland. I applied for a pub job in Roma today and one in South Australia. Main thing is saving up money.

The only other thing I could do is continue in Sydney and just try my best to save up even if it's only 200 a week and then after that go do another 6 weeks in a pub to top it up

Guest The Pom Queen
As long as the place is half decent id be quite happy to go back to Queensland. I applied for a pub job in Roma today and one in South Australia. Main thing is saving up money.

The only other thing I could do is continue in Sydney and just try my best to save up even if it's only 200 a week and then after that go do another 6 weeks in a pub to top it up

Found it and sent to you, also another one in Noosa

Hi all,

my partner and I are just about to buy a vehicle to leave Perth in and start our regional work. We don't have many leads at the moment, does anyone know if it is realistic to just hit the road and find work along the way? We are thinking of a trip to Exmouth then finding work after that...