How much to save for a WHV?

lknights1987

Hi all,

I'm just after a bit of advice to how much i should be looking to save for a WHV? I'm looking to travel Australia Feb, March 2017 ( I plan to start looking for jobs after 2 weeks of arriving in Australia )

Also please advise where the best place to book

Flights- Website or Agency?

Hostels/Hotels -The first few days in Australia would it be best to book into a Hotel or Hostel?

Travel Insurance- Website or Agency like STA travel?

Visa-Website or Agency

Is there anything else i need to buy before departing

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, have a word with @Quokka, I'm not sure how much she came with but I know she has nearly spent up and has only need her 5 month. You can come with less BUT there are no guarantees you will find work straight away. There is always going to be volunteer work instead of paid work which would give you a roof over your head.

Flights, use sky scanner and be flexible, also sign up for their reward program so you get points for flying.

Travel Insurance, Go Walkabout are a good option for WHV holders.

I wouldn't bother signing up for any of the backpacker packages, personally I think they are a waste of money and tie you down.

In regards as to whether to go for a hostel or hotel it's totally up to you. A hotel will be expensive depending on where you are heading first but it may help to get a few good nights sleep to get over the jet lag.

Dont forget to contact @John from Moneycorp as he will be able to help send some money over, all forum members get free transactions and you will get more than what the banks offer.

Visa you don't need an agent for a WHV you can do it yourself online.

What area are you hitting first?

Sorry I didn't see this till now. I came with $5000. It goes surprisingly quickly. Always thought mines wouldn't because I don't drink much but it just seems to disappear. I waste mine in food and random stuff though so if you're strict you should be fine. Definitely don't come with less than $5000 though.

I booked into a hotel for my first 2 nights because I wasn't sure if I'd have jetlag but I was sharing with friends so it wasn't massively expensive. I went through sta travel for my flights but you can easily just use sky scanner etc. I used go walkabout for insurance. Definitely don't use a agent for your WHv, it's really easy