advice

Guest Unregistered

Guest Unregistered

Hello,

I am planning on travelling solo around Sydney , Byron Bay etc

I just wanted to know how long people usually stay in hostels for and should I plan as I will be coming solo. I don't want to come unstuck the other side of the world not knowing anyone. Cant guarantee making friends that will be around the same length of time as myself.

Also do many people book activities in advance?

I am interested in paddle boarding in byron bay how do I know if there are crocs or not?

I am interested in paddle boarding in byron bay how do I know if there are crocs or not?

There are no crocs in Byron Bay - they don't exist that far south in Australia. There may be sharks however. I assume there would be shark patrols at popular times.

Guest Unregistered
There are no crocs in Byron Bay - they don't exist that far south in Australia. There may be sharks however. I assume there would be shark patrols at popular times.

Thanks for replying.

Do you have any advice on how long people generally stay in one place for? my first planned backpacking not sure really. thinking of starting in sydney and moving south.

xx

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for replying.

Do you have any advice on how long people generally stay in one place for? my first planned backpacking not sure really. thinking of starting in sydney and moving south.

xx

Try and follow the weather ie, June, -September be up North then head south for the summer. Unless of course you like cold weather.

I wouldn't make any plans on how long to stay in one place, everyone is different, you may hate the area and want to move on in a week or you may love it and want to stay months.

I wouldn't recommend booking any trips until you get here.

Hello,

I am planning on travelling solo around Sydney , Byron Bay etc

I just wanted to know how long people usually stay in hostels for and should I plan as I will be coming solo. I don't want to come unstuck the other side of the world not knowing anyone. Cant guarantee making friends that will be around the same length of time as myself.

Also do many people book activities in advance?

Bless! Love the crocs in Byron bay! Seriously though, people do go swimming where they shouldn't. Check for signs. You can also get some pretty wicked rip tides, so check with the locals or life guards. Be sensible, and if in doubt, ask. Also be wary as Aussies can be dead pan sarcastic and its sometimes hard to tell when they're pulling your leg.

Beauty of back packing is you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. You may team up with other people and travel with them. Make sure they're not pyschos, most aren't. But people sometimes forget the rules when they are travelling.

Have fun, be safe, but have fun.

Thanks for replying.

xx

I don't think there's ever any "generally": it depends on the place and its attractions, whether they have found work, whether they are hanging around with a group they like, whether the accommodation is a good deal, what time of year etc. What time of year will you be arriving? Seasons vary tremendously within Australia which is why The Pom Queen suggested following the weather.

If you feel particularly nervous about travelling solo you could consider joining a group tour initially to meet some others in a similar situation and to have a guiding hand until you find your way around.

There's a member on here called Quokka2005 who arrived on her own as a backpacker in early November. Reading her travel thread might give you some helpful hints.