What to pack?!

jodipodi

Hiya! Just want any tips on what to pack for going on a WHV... Obviously there'll be obvious things but for example how many items of each clothing did you take?...shoes/trainers, etc etc...

Aby other random useful tips would be great, there's always stuff that others wish they'd taken....so I'd be grateful for any advice if there's anything we might not think of x

I brought 4 pairs of shorts, dunno how many tops. Trainers, pair of flats and some sandals but I've collected one or 2 on the way lol. A light waterproof jacket. I brought some stuff I shouldn't have like skirt and a few tips so make sure he only packs stuff he will definitely wear but I think it's usually a lot easier for men.

Bring original documents or copies off them.

I brought my original birth certificate and my visa acceptance. But I should have brought copies of birth certificate, passport etc. Medicare wanted to look at a copy of my travel itinerary of me leaving the UK and landing which I was really surprised about but it was because I didn't have arrival stamp on my passport

I brought my original birth certificate and my visa acceptance. But I should have brought copies of birth certificate, passport etc. Medicare wanted to look at a copy of my travel itinerary of me leaving the UK and landing which I was really surprised about but it was because I didn't have arrival stamp on my passport

Flippin heck there's no way I'd have thought of that!! OK I'm writing this all down brilliant thanks!

hey,

with the documents we brought the originals with us and also scanned copies of birth cert/passport etc and sent them to our own email address and also someone back at home that you trust for example I sent them to my dad and my partners dad so we can always get copies of them if needed. When we arrived we both got locked out of our email accounts for some time for 'security' from logging on over here and it took my boyfriend weeks to get his unlocked so luckily our parents had the copies of documents if we needed them.

Clothes wise.. depends where your going and when. We got here Sep and have been in Melbourne which is known for 4 seasons in 1 day (and it has not disappointed) so abit of everything we have had to buy a few things here, im a hairdresser and have to wear black everyday which I didn't pack a lot of for travelling but you can actually get some pretty good bargains on clothes. I agree though my light waterproof jacket has been my saving grace on more than one occasion!

He's going to Darwin.... So I expect it'll be pretty sweaty and humid when he arrives and then ease off slightly as time goes on into the dry season.

You had me really confused there, jodipodi, for a minute there I thought YOU were the one going on a WHV, and I was so sure you were older than that and going for PR - very confusing!

You had me really confused there, jodipodi, for a minute there I thought YOU were the one going on a WHV, and I was so sure you were older than that and going for PR - very confusing!

It's my husband who's going Marisa.....what made you think I was 'older' haha? I am 'older' than my toyboy hubby you're right...but only by two years.

Hubby has been granted his WHV before he's too old for one....which will be in about a week or two !

It's my husband who's going Marisa.....what made you think I was 'older' haha? I am 'older' than my toyboy hubby you're right...but only by two years.

Hubby has been granted his WHV before he's too old for one....which will be in about a week or two !

Didn't mean you were "old", just that you were a "serious" migrant rather than a backpacker.

Carry a USB stick with copies of all documents scanned try to keep it on you when travelling in case luggage or hand luggage goes astray

Certified copies of your passport birth certificates etc don't go astray either

Password protect any documents that you might have on a phone ,tablet or laptop just in case the item gets lost or stolen

When we went back in 2006 Medicare took us as permanent residents when I showed them one way tickets ,contract on our house sale and shipping of furniture documents

Maybe a prepaid phone from the UK that you can top up online if necessary -unlocked so that you can stick an Aussie sim card in if you get one

Justin Case is a very good friend of mine lol

Carry a USB stick with copies of all documents scanned try to keep it on you when travelling in case luggage or hand luggage goes astray

Certified copies of your passport birth certificates etc don't go astray either

Password protect any documents that you might have on a phone ,tablet or laptop just in case the item gets lost or stolen

When we went back in 2006 Medicare took us as permanent residents when I showed them one way tickets ,contract on our house sale and shipping of furniture documents

Maybe a prepaid phone from the UK that you can top up online if necessary -unlocked so that you can stick an Aussie sim card in if you get one

Justin Case is a very good friend of mine lol

Very good idea!!!