Using internet in oz??

Chiara Giannetti

Hi guys, ive been looking at what phone network to go with, probably going to go with telstra because of the wider range! but I was wondering, whats everyones plans when backpacking about using the net?? Of course its something i will have to use regularly, finding hostels, arranging couch surfing or help x things, has anyone found any good mobile network internet deals? or is there lots of free wifi in cafes etc in oz that everyone plans on using? Im a bit confused as to whats my best option when it comes to internet hopefully someone can give me a hand :) thanks!

Hi guys, ive been looking at what phone network to go with, probably going to go with telstra because of the wider range! but I was wondering, whats everyones plans when backpacking about using the net?? Of course its something i will have to use regularly, finding hostels, arranging couch surfing or help x things, has anyone found any good mobile network internet deals? or is there lots of free wifi in cafes etc in oz that everyone plans on using? Im a bit confused as to whats my best option when it comes to internet hopefully someone can give me a hand :) thanks!

Ciao Chiara, 6 italiana? In terms of prepaid amaysim is one of the best https://m.amaysim.com.au/mobile-plans.html?device=1 they use Optus

Or boost mobile they use telstra 4g http://boost.com.au/$40-unlimited-pre-paid-sim-plan.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8GccJv_08W3s1WfLEjSMZKLx-YaJbH6Z3PuQVfgfPHOBoCJ0nw_wcB

Is it for a mobile?

Just had a look at the telstra pre paid plan looks quite good I might get that! thanks :D

That is what we have. It is really good for calls and texts (locally and internationally) but best make sure you use the internet sparingly and turn off data roaming as data is costly (on our plan anyway).

Edited by Gbye grey sky
Typo

yes i wil try and find as much free wifi as possible and will keep my data for when i cant find any and need to arrange where im staying etc :) aw its all so scary haha

Good luck with it all. One big plus of disabling data roaming as the phone lasts ages between recharges meaning you are less likely to be stranded somewhere with a dead battery and no outlet to charge it.

We find Telstra Simplicity is the best option for calls and data on a prepaid and no contract

Cheap to ring the UK also

Pam and our 2 pay $30 for 2 months which is plenty

I've just gone to a contract with Telstra

$50 a month

Free texts, $1,000 calls and 5GB of internet

Really happy with it for sure and with running a business its perfect for me

If you are travelling there is only Telstra. They are the only ones with coverage. Even the shop assistant in the Optus shop told us that. We live in the suburbs but the only signal we can get here is Telstra.

Also worth looking at their website and choosing a phone able to hold a good signal (Blue Tick) if you're travelling, some Aussie coverage is very weak outside main urban areas.

Just a FYI, libraries are often a good source of decent free internet...

For example, in Brisbane even though the city now has free public WiFi in many main streets and parks, the State Library of Qld is often full of students/travellers relaxing and using the free wifi:

a280ed3115d05860df75863c738e4858.jpg

Source: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a2/80/ed/a280ed3115d05860df75863c738e4858.jpg

There is also The Edge next door. It is a free public creative collaboration venue for young people that also allows you to book spaces to hang out in peace overlooking the river...the whole building has free wifi as well:

TheEdge(1).jpg

Source: http://www.shareable.net/sites/default/files/upload/inline/1896/images/TheEdge(1).jpg

Edited by fish.01

In Brisbane a lot of outdoor areas have free WiFi like South Bank and other parks. Not sure if same in Sydney but worth a try. If not may be worth picking up pay as you go sim card.