Visa help

Lostat25

Hi all,

it's been a while since I posted and I'm sorry if it is in the wrong category .I have been in WA Now for nearly 7 months . And for anyone that is scared or apprehensive about the move to Australia please don't be . It has been the best decision of my life and I recommend anyone to make the move .

anyway I'm back on here asking for some help, I'm in the process of doing my regional work . My partner is here in a 457 hoping to be able to eventually be added as defacto to his visa. We have names on a joint lease since September and have a joint account plus pictures and invitations. Prior to this I lived with him from march- sept in his apartment here but only his name was on the lease and we had no joint names on electric etc .

im becoming increasingly concerned and worried that what if for some reason immigration decide not to pass my 2nd year visa. I am working, being paid & I'm getting payslips in a regional postcode area of WA. Im hearing horror stories at the minute about people not being passed . I'm doing the work to be able to stay in the hope that after my first year is up we will have enough evidence of being in a defacto relationsHip and I can be moved onto his 457.

please can anyone reassure me or if anyone has a similar experience to me could they share this stories .

thanks Emma x

Yes the criteria for being added onto a 457 visa is not as stringent as for a permanent visa Still you do need to get working on that evidence, pictures and invitations are worth very little by themselves, you need to get some address proof pulled together. If you do this, then no reason why you should even need the second WHV, so long as the employer is happy to add you on of course.

Yes the criteria for being added onto a 457 visa is not as stringent as for a permanent visa Still you do need to get working on that evidence, pictures and invitations are worth very little by themselves, you need to get some address proof pulled together. If you do this, then no reason why you should even need the second WHV, so long as the employer is happy to add you on of course.

Hi ,

thanks for your reply we have already been given the ok by his employer . They don't have a problem with me being added as long as we pay for it . Which we will happily do . We have address proof at the moment which consists of joint lease , all utility bills , and bank statements coming to the house . We are also beniferacys for each other's super annuation .

I am completing my regional as I thought it would be safer to give us the extra year as a safety net because so far the conflicting stories of how many months evidence is needed to prove your in a defacto relationship varies . Some people say you only need 6 months other people say don't even bother applying until you have 12 months . I don't know who to believe . Visas are stressful and the last thing I/we would want is for us to be denied .

As for the regional work do you think this will be passed easily , as I previously said I have pay slips and the money is being paid into my account and it's the same employer for my full 88 days and it's in regional WA . I am just really worried because I know there has been some recent changes to the 2nd year visa . None of which I understand .

Hi ,

thanks for your reply we have already been given the ok by his employer . They don't have a problem with me being added as long as we pay for it . Which we will happily do . We have address proof at the moment which consists of joint lease , all utility bills , and bank statements coming to the house . We are also beniferacys for each other's super annuation .

I am completing my regional as I thought it would be safer to give us the extra year as a safety net because so far the conflicting stories of how many months evidence is needed to prove your in a defacto relationship varies . Some people say you only need 6 months other people say don't even bother applying until you have 12 months . I don't know who to believe . Visas are stressful and the last thing I/we would want is for us to be denied .

As for the regional work do you think this will be passed easily , as I previously said I have pay slips and the money is being paid into my account and it's the same employer for my full 88 days and it's in regional WA . I am just really worried because I know there has been some recent changes to the 2nd year visa . None of which I understand .

You certainly might as well collect evidence for the second WHV, but I would then put it to one side and go for the 457 visa instead. Then, should the relationship breakdown (not wishing to be negative here, but you just never know) you would have the second WHV to fall back on.

As to whether your evidence is accepted, not a clue. But you definitely should assume they are rigorous about this, it won't be a rubber stamp, so have good evidence. The only changes I have heard of regarding WHV is that the holders will be taxed as non resident and the regional work needs to be paid, not voluntary.

It has always been a clear understanding of mine that being a defacto on a 457 is nothing like getting a permanent partner visa or being a dependent on a permanent visa. Permanent visas will normally require 12 months of experience, 6 months for 457. I expect you have been talking to people that are confused.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, i've recently spent a lot of time on the phone to immigration with regards to the changes being made to the 2WHV as I've been panicking too. As long as you are working in a designated region, receiving payslips from a legal employer with an ABN and can evidence this for at least 88 days (working 'full-time' hours) i don't believe you will have any issue at all. You've followed all the requirements.

The changes come into play from anyone who is WWOOFING (volunteering work, receiving food/accommodation in payment rather than a full wage). You now need to be paid a minimum wage and be able to evidence you were paid through payslips or similar.

I'm by no means an expert - just another backpacker who spent a lot of time on the phone! Give them a call if you're unsure and i'm sure they'll put your mind at ease on the 2WFH visa. Sounds like a great plan to ensure you've got that extra year there, just incase. When it comes to the 457 visa however, i am completely clueless... Good luck!