WHV + Criminal Record

Liam Malloy

Hi there, me and a friend are planning to come over to Oz and do some traveling. Sadly he has a criminal record for assault and breach of the peace

Has anyone on here managed to have their visa accepted with a criminal record, or know anybody who has had one accepted?

His application has been sent to the Visa Applicant Character Consideration Unit with his police report for some time now and he is worrying if it will be accepted and how long a reply from the VACCU may take?

My ex ex boyfriend got in Australia with a criminal record, he had GBH, assault, a string of driving offences, and with the GBH he got a 2 year suspended sentence. He had to prove he was a changed person, which to be fair to him he has changed a lot but like Bungo said its case by case basis. He had a lot to offer to oz as he was a qualified electrician. Good luck

• 2 months later...

Hi Liam,

Have you heard back from the VACCU yet? I had receieved an email on the 30th November saying that had received mine, however I still haven't heard anything back.

Let us know how you get on mate & good luck!

thanks for your replies. helpful information!

my friend is a qualified carpenter so hopefully will be helpful is his visa application

Guest Guest114430
My ex ex boyfriend got in Australia with a criminal record, he had GBH, assault, a string of driving offences, and with the GBH he got a 2 year suspended sentence. He had to prove he was a changed person, which to be fair to him he has changed a lot but like Bungo said its case by case basis. He had a lot to offer to oz as he was a qualified electrician. Good luck

Hey alix, hope you dont mind me asking about your post, when did your ex apply? i have a similar situ, am a qualified plumber. offence was nearly 12 years ago. any info would be appriciated. thanks. mike

Guest Guest114430
thanks for your replies. helpful information!

my friend is a qualified carpenter so hopefully will be helpful is his visa application

hope your friend gets the visa,

regarding being a carpenter, that skill would only be an asset if he were applying to move to oz(PR), any skills you have do not come into the equation if you are just applying for a WHV.

• 3 weeks later...

We waited a couple months from there to get a reply, sadly it was a notice of intent to consider refusal! so he had to get an appeal lodged stating how he had changed and things and was totally none violent also had to get alot of references from people withing the community saying that the offence was out of character for him!

• 1 month later...
We waited a couple months from there to get a reply, sadly it was a notice of intent to consider refusal! so he had to get an appeal lodged stating how he had changed and things and was totally none violent also had to get alot of references from people withing the community saying that the offence was out of character for him!

Hi Liam,

Good morning :) Did your friend get his visa in the end? Me and my husband applied for PR (August 2015) and we got a notice of intent to refuse based on character grounds last Feb 2016. We replied last week with all the documents and references we could get to prove my husband is a changed person now..Really hoping someone had come out of a notice to refuse with a positive outcome :/

Hi Liam,

Good morning :) Did your friend get his visa in the end? Me and my husband applied for PR (August 2015) and we got a notice of intent to refuse based on character grounds last Feb 2016. We replied last week with all the documents and references we could get to prove my husband is a changed person now..Really hoping someone had come out of a notice to refuse with a positive outcome :/

hi perthling, the appeal was lodged on the 18th of September and as of yet have heard nothing back! When asked for a timescale for a reply we were told months rather than weeks so god only knows how much longer!