1 Month travelling

David Boylett

Hey all

I have been snooping around the forums a little in the past couple of weeks and would like to ask some questions.

I'm looking to come to oz next summer for around 3-4 weeks to travel and see what it's like - in 2017 I am making plans to come for the full year on a WHV. I was thinking of buying an oz experience ticket (maybe from Sydney to Melbourne) and just travelling at my own pace whilst stopping at hostels along the way. I will most likely be doing this on my own unless I can find a friend.

Is this a practical idea? And how much money do you think I'll need out here to survive the 3-4 week - as I have no idea with regard to the cost of things such as food and travel. I've only looked at how much hostels would cost me for the month.

I hope this will kind of "break the ice" so when I return in 2017, as I am so determined to do so, it won't be daunting because I'll definitely be alone for that one.

Thanks for any advice I can get !!

I'm looking to come to oz next summer for around 3-4 weeks to travel and see what it's like - in 2017 I am making plans to come for the full year on a WHV....

Is this a practical idea?

Honestly, I don't see any point in coming for a few weeks. If you're going to do a WHV, do a WHV - the month's holiday is going to cost you in fares and hostels and won't help you prepare for it. Just do it!

I'm unable to travel for the year until 2017 after I've finished the first part of my degree. I just didn't wait too long, and want to see if I'll enjoy it. I'd be giving up alot, including my job of course, and wouldn't want to find out I don't enjoy it on my own. That's what I am a little afraid of.

I'm unable to travel for the year until 2017 after I've finished the first part of my degree. I just didn't wait too long, and want to see if I'll enjoy it. I'd be giving up alot, including my job of course, and wouldn't want to find out I don't enjoy it on my own. That's what I am a little afraid of.

No need to worry. There are hundreds of thousands of back packers here at anyone time. If staying in hostels be hard to be alone, even with so many tuning out 'the real world 'these days with over use of social media.

I'd have gone elsewhere for the shorter duration (South Africa?) and left Oz for the longer period. Really nothing to worry about. The back packer world is an artificially created one in certain respects, being far removed from how here live their lives, but beyond the possible need to find suitable work the rest just falls into place. Sure you'll love it without a warm up run. Hence the reason I say South Africa which will give you a real taste of the back packer circuit.

You could go take 4 weeks and travel round Europe. If you can manage that, a year in Aus will be a doddle.

I personally think its a huge expense and won't really give you much of a clue as to how a WHV will really be as you won't be looking for work or working. Just spending money. In 4 weeks you can see a bit but it will cost a chunk and you'd be better off putting that to the year.

Honestly, if you come over on a WHV and decide to go home after 6 months, no biggie. But a 4 week holiday isn't going to really give you much in the way of anything other than costing and time.

Loads of people come over to Aus on a WHV. You will most likely meet up with plenty of other people when travelling then I am sure. More likely than if you were just over for a few weeks as you'd not have time to really get to know many people in such a short time.

Honestly, I don't see any point in coming for a few weeks. If you're going to do a WHV, do a WHV - the month's holiday is going to cost you in fares and hostels and won't help you prepare for it. Just do it!

To be honest, I would have to agree here 100%

If you were coming for 12 weeks fair enough; as you can get a "good feel" after three months.

But you won't see much in only 3 - 4 weeks.

In fact by the time you have got over your jet lag and acclimatized to the weather........it will be about time to return home.

If you want to spend 3 or 4 weeks here then just choose one place to stay in - rather than moving around.

and wouldn't want to find out I don't enjoy it on my own. That's what I am a little afraid of.

Well you are unlikely to be on your own for long.

There are thousands of backpackers coming out on WHV each year. You will easily meet up with people if you want to.

Even if you are shy (like I was) you will automatically come out of your shell.

Most dorm rooms sleep 4 - 6 people who are transit themselves, so you will automatically meet a wide range of people.... some of whom you may choose to travel with for a few days, weeks or months.

Or you can stay by yourself. Learning to be alone and to enjoy your own company is a great asset in this life.

You say you will be "giving up a lot". Well in the process of traveling just think about how MUCH you will gain!

Edited by jumpingjellybean
Spelling

Maybe go a trip around Europe or something like that first. Or even somewhere in the UK. I went to London for 5 days to test the waters for me going places alone

From the UK, I went to Cyprus for two weeks by myself aged 19 to "test the waters" of traveling alone.

But in the end, I found a year in Australia much easier, than the two weeks in Cyprus!!

You say you will be "giving up a lot". Well in the process of traveling just think about how MUCH you will gain!

So true. Life rarely follows some linear path to contentment and fulfilment. Often you have to take a step sideways or backwards and in doing so you learn a great deal about yourself and what you truly want out of life. I left school at 16 and worked for the next 39 years without a break. My OH got the back-packing bug and travelled much of the world when she was young, much of the time alone (and she is a shy person by nature). I know who had the better time of it and it wasn't me.