Travel insurance

Alix Fisher

So I've been looking at getting some travel insurance.

Alpha said that they could insure me for long stay (a year) if I had proof that I was coming back home. This was either; that I had a mortgage, I was having an operation of some sort, that I had a car/hire car agreement or that I had a place confirmed at a college or university that meant I had to return.

Obviously I have none of these - she said that literally just saying and taking my word for it that wasn't enough. She said she could offer me a policy but in the event that I needed to claim without proof of return it was practically a waste of money and the claim would be void.

I was on hold for a long time waiting to speak to somebody and lost patience!!

Has anyone got insurance for a year that isn't over £150? That covers one way?!

Thank you x

Did you ask Alix to post this for you Stacey??

No idea on price but Columbus and Insure & Go both do good one way policies. There is also 'Go Walkabout' - we used them for migration insurance but I think they would be more expensive.

I've Spoke to Stacey - she thinks that her friend got it through alpha and only had a dentist appointment booked for like a year in advance. My point is that if I claimed, and then they paid out and they then said we want proof you've come back else we want the money back, obviously I'm not coming back so then it'd be void? I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with "lying" regarding travel insurance but then having to claim - have they wanted proof when u get home that you are home? Sorry for the long winded post but I hate travel insurance!! Why isn't it easier lol

It's beyond a joke. Judging from my Facebook post a lot of people have got told by alpha they are covered and stuff like that when really I don't think they are, I just think it's alpha and their workers getting money and hoping the people they sell to don't claim so they don't realise!!

Go Walkabout is £137 for their basic backpacker insurance - you do have to put in a return date so I don't know whether you must have a flight booked but it is worth checking.

They do one-way insurance too but that's for a max of 90 days - £115

Once you're in Australia though do you need it? The level of cover is so poor (e.g. £100 for lost luggage, that'd barely cover the cost of the cases you've all been buying :), £85 for shoes...etc. ) is it really worth it - there'll be excesses to. I don't think I've ever managed a worthwhile claim on travel insurance.

The medical side is covered by medicare and a lot of the rest is no more relevant in Australia than the UK - things like liability cover, total disability cover and that - do you have that in the UK?

5 day one way cover is just over £40 to cover you getting there & then do similar for the homeward journey.

More than anything you need to cover the cost of your booked flights so that if some disaster befell you and you couldn't travel then you could get the money back to rebook.

I need to ring Go walkabout and see what they say. In the UK we are covered by national health insurance, basically free care. If we need an ambulance and stuff we just get it for free.

What happens if I don't get travel insurance and I break my arm and need surgery?? I'm not covered by Medicare am I? I don't have thousands spare lol. It's mainly for "what if I die", my parents don't have the money spare to ship me home :(

• 1 month later...

I am of the same opinion as Lady Raincorn. I have a pre-existing condition and so travel insurance is about £1000 for me for a year in Oz. My flight was £800 so I haven't taken any out. I have now arrived in Sydney (last week) and have signed up for a medicare card and visited the doctor to get my prescriptions. Seeing the doctor was free, I just paid for my prescriptions ($40 each mind you! but insurance wouldn't change that). I haven't brought anything high value with me - cheap (£200) laptop, kindle, ipod, and clothes so I don't see the value in insuring my things when insurance companies rarely pay out anyway.

I was just reading my Lonely Plant guide and it says insurance is 'essential', but why?? Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure it's all about money making.

Well for me I'm thinking more of the extreme situation like if I died how would my family get me back home. My insurance covers that. I just wouldn't feel safe without any insurance at all but I know that for the non extreme stuff Medicare is fine and that I'll have to pay for my prescriptions. I'll need to get more thyroxine out there but my doctor gave me 12 months of the contraceptive pill which was handy so that's one less thing. Although I've still to find out wether they definitely allow it in but I know other backpackers who have