What are you packing?

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Stacey's thread just for me wondering, what are you all planning to take with you? Do you really need a case full of clothes, bits and pieces etc.

We moved here for life and only brought a suitcase and at was full of personal items like photos etc, things you can't replace.

I'm not planning on taking many clothes because I'll probably buy a few things out there. Plus I tend to wear my favourite stuff often or mix and match. I think some girls act like its a fashion contest or something. I'll be a scruff lol. I'm not even sure I'm going to bring my laptop cos it's heavy.

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm not planning on taking many clothes because I'll probably buy a few things out there. Plus I tend to wear my favourite stuff often or mix and match. I think some girls act like its a fashion contest or something. I'll be a scruff lol. I'm not even sure I'm going to bring my laptop cos it's heavy.

I would say an iPad would be your best buy, lighter than a laptop. Although you have an iPhone don't you so you may be able to manage on that.

I suppose undies, makeup and shoes are priority, toiletries you can buy here, any Meds you need but clothes wise, the states you travel around are going to vary so much temperature wise that I'd probably wait until you are here.

We have second hand shops that are huge inside, more like Aldi size than a little corner shop. There are always backpackers in there grabbing clothes and then they just donate them back when they leave, it seems such a better idea.

I can't afford to go buy a iPad. Or even a new laptop. There's a light laptop in the house that was daves buy he gave me it when he got a new one. There's something wrong with It, think it needs a new battery and it's slow :unsure:

yeah ill bring underwear obviously lol and my loads and loads of makeup that I wear :wink:

Guest The Pom Queen
I can't afford to go buy a iPad. Or even a new laptop. There's a light laptop in the house that was daves buy he gave me it when he got a new one. There's something wrong with It, think it needs a new battery and it's slow :unsure:

yeah ill bring underwear obviously lol and my loads and loads of makeup that I wear :wink:

I do think some kind of light weight device is good to have especially if you are doing any travelling or waiting around for busses, planes, trains etc.

I don't plan on bringing a huge amount. A small amount of clothes mix and match. An interview outfit... I know I can buy that out there but i'm picky when it comes to work clothes(only work clothes... strange huh?). Ipad, Phone(unlocked). Then probably Photos and a few trinkets. I know Ill buy most out there... I always lose weight in hot countries, every time haha think it's due to the fact I eat more in cold weather maybe?! So there's no point in taking too many clothes. :)

Well!! I've just been on holiday for a week then Thailand for a month so I've got loads of holiday clothes, so I'll bring like the usual stuff - day tops, nicer tops for night if going for a meal or whatever, then 2 pairs of jeans (black and blue) beach stuff, towel/bikini etc, shoes has been a big thing cos I have SO many! I've got a pair of toms, 1 pair of converse, 2 pairs of flip flops and then like 2 pairs of strappy type shoes throughout the day!! I've got a pair of Nike trainers that I'll use for farm work and when I go on tours, I don't mind them getting trashed!! I bet I end up ditching the majority of my stuff around my year/two years as I'm always buying new clothes!! I'm bringing a pair of leggings. Bag wise I'm taking tote bag, small day bag and a cross body bag. I'm surprised I'll even fill 30kg! Eeeeek

Stacey's thread just for me wondering, what are you all planning to take with you? Do you really need a case full of clothes, bits and pieces etc.

We moved here for life and only brought a suitcase and at was full of personal items like photos etc, things you can't replace.

Yes good point. From reading recent posts, it sounds like people are bringing everything and their kitchen sinks!

When I came over on my one year WHV, I packed and carried very little in my backpack upon leaving the UK:

Bra – X 1

Knickers – X 4

Socks – X 1

Swimsuit - X 1

Towel - X 1

Casual Lightweight Trousers - X 1

(Not jeans, as too heavy and too hard to dry if they get wet)

Casual Lightweight Shorts - X 1

Casual T-Shirt - X 3

Casual Light Jumper - X 1

Trainers (Plimsolls) – X 1

Sandals or Flip Flops – X 1

I brought all my basic toiletries here when I arrived (toothpaste, toothbrush, soap and sunscreen)

I also brought a business smart suit and smart shoes for interviews and jobs when I got here too. I brought the suit from the Salvos (charity second hand shop like Oxfam) and the shoes really cheaply at a discount shoe warehouse.

I also brought a hairdryer here from a working traveler who was heading off to actually travel, and I sold it on to another new arrival when I moved on.

I brought and discarded clothes along the way as and when I needed them. There are loads of really cheap clothes shops in Australia and always charity shops to fall back on, so pointless weighting yourself down bringing loads of stuff over.

See the majority of my stuff is new from going to Thailand in June and then Ibiza in August- so it's stuff that I don't wanna leave behind! I can't believe you took so little! I'm glad you mentioned the hairdryer situation!! Mine is so heavy so it'll be best to buy one out there- how much is a decent one? And where can you buy things like that? I wish u had an Argos![emoji23] I am bringing my GHDs though I think! And I'm not sure if I'm bringing my Samsung tablet cos I've got a go pro so I'm abit like ?? And I hardly use my tablet here. Not sure whether to bring it or not it's just one more thing to look after.

Sorry, but I don't see the point of throwing things out or leaving them behind? What advantage does that give you, if you're on a WHV?

Sure, it means you don't have to lug a heavy suitcase to the airport, or from the airport to the hostel when you arrive. But let's face it, how long is that journey really?

Now compare that with how long it's going to take you to slog around charity shops trying to replace what you didn't bring. Cairns may have a good one, but you won't find nearly as many as in the UK, and in the big cities, the best stuff gets snapped up very fast.

After that, how are you going to carry your new-found purchases for the rest of the year? You left stuff behind so you could take a smaller case - so now you're going to have to buy a bigger case to fit all the replacement stuff in, so how does that help?

I can see the point of backpackers travelling light if they're going to be on the move all the time - and if they have to rely on laundromats then it's probably just as cheap to buy tat in charity shops and Supre and throw it away. However if you're going to be stopping in one place and working, you're going to need reasonable clothes to work in, and you're going to meet and make friends with people who are not backpackers, and you'll need some decent clothes to go to the pub with them.

Edited by Marisawright

I agree with you! I am going for a year and I'll experience all weathers so why only bring 1 pairs of jeans and a few tops. It's not like you have river island over there either!! Haha. But i guess if people need to buy new clothes anyway then it makes sense to get them over there!! The majority of my stuff I buy and keep for a few years anyway.

I'm going to try and bring the bare minimum, one suit, few shirts, shorts, jeans, t shirt etc then buy everything else when I arrive.

I'm going to hold off buying an iPad / Laptop until i'm out there as electronics seem a lot cheaper in Aus than the UK.......

Yes, they are. I put off buying a new laptop before I left Oz (my old one had died) - I'm bitterly regretting it now because the cost of a new one in the UK is ridiculous.

Quick comparison:-

iPad 2 Air 16GB Wifi only is £399 on Apple UK website - the same iPad is $619 on the Aus website (£284 based on a rate of 2.18).

13" MacBook Pro 128GB 2.7Ghz is £999 on Apple UK website - the same MacBook is $1,799 on the Aus website (£825 based on a rate of 2.18).