cost of living in Sydney for a working couple

Worlo24

Hi guys.

Really broad question as I know a lot of people's lifestyles are different etc but really what would be a minimum weekly take home wage for a couple to live a comfortable life on in Sydney? By looking on websites, if we were earning say 600 aud a week each in a job after tax, so 1200 weekly for both of us, would this be enough to rent a small studio, buy groceries, pay bills and go for a few beers on a weekend? We're both thinking of making the move next year and want to get some figures sorted out. I know it's a difficult question to answer but would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Yeah..We rented a beautiful fully furnished one bed flat abt 10kms outside city for $450 a week. ..not the nicest area in the world but was in our budget n we didn't want to share...u can look around for cheaper places to eat n drink too. .Some really cheap deals around

Trouble is, the WHV forum on here isn't overly busy. The more frequent posters are ones who are in the planning of going them selves. There aren't too many people who regularly post with recent experiences of such things.

Sydney is very expensive compared to other cities in Australia, Australia is very expensive compared to the UK (Unless you are working)

You'd need to ask yourself if you could guarantee finding work (each) that would pay $900 before tax (33%) a week. That sort of wage sounds quite high unless it is a skilled profession, in which case most employers would not look at employing someone on a WHV for such position.

If you can find a job with that sort of money you will be working comfortably 40 hours a week on $23 (I think thats minimum wage?) so another thing to ask yourself would be, why are you going to Australia? Why not do that in the UK, save up even more money and go when you have enough in the bank to enjoy your time there rather than have the stress of a 40 hour week.

Another thing to consider is rental term, how long do you have to commit for? And bare in mind you cannot work for the same employer for longer than 6 months on a WHV.

I had a quick look at one of those three sites I cited. (Can you 'cite' a 'site?') http://sydneymovingguide.com/the-cos...ing-in-sydney/

It seems to be a blog/website set up by a US expat and I enjoyed reading part of it.

Sydney IS expensive, but it's Australia's 'Big Apple!' I've lived here on and off since December, 1978, and I've had both 'the best of times and the worst of times.' It's a great place to live and I know loads of Pommies who are living here and loving it, if not 'living the dream!'

Thanks guys - I've posted this in the NSW forum aswell so hopefully more people will see it. We want an adventure and to meet new people plus we loved sydney when we visited on holiday last year and know a lot of Brits who have moved there in the past on WHV and lived in shared accommodation and made it work for them so I guess I'm just checking whether people have or are doing this now. Again thanks guys for your response - much appreciated