actual Job situation in OZ

niczan

Hi everybody,

My name is Nico and I am from Italy.

I am going to start an WHV in May 2016 and, before making a big mistake, I would like to know how is actually the job vacancies situation in big cities as Melbourne and Sydney.

I would like to work in the hospitality, but also in office, dep stores, etc..

I read lot of posts on facebook about people who are really struggling for months in order to find a job in any sector.

I really want to make this experience in OZ, but I do not want to spend my entire time there for a job that does not exist.

Do anybody know how is the real situation there? If I leave my resume in any bar, store and agncy of Sydney or Melbourne, it will be easy for get a job?

Thanks in adv for the reply!

If you have some experience in whatever field you choose, then that will certainly help you.

In the hospitality field, experience is always desired. Many small cafes and restaurants don't have the time to train people with no associated skills.

Also, lots of students work in the hospitality industry, and there is a fairly steady turnover of staff due to changes in study time tabling, or when they leave to take up their chosen profession once graduated.

If you want to go to Oz, you will be taking a chance, but that is what life is all about...!!!

Do your best to make a success and make sure you've got your plane fare to come home if you need to,

It will be a life experience and character building whatever happens

Good luck with your adventure

Hi there, same question here , i am an english teacher moving to australia, is it easy to find a job in this field?

You may have some difficulty unless you have some other teaching skills too (other language, additional subject?) there's not really a shortage of teachers here.

I have a friend who teaches teachers here. There's plenty of competition for teaching jobs from new graduates every year, and all at the same time.

Edited by Suzukiscottie

Plenty of work if you look for it :)

I find comments like that a little unkind to the many long term unemployed who are desperate to find work.

There is not plenty of work if you look for it, Australia has high unemployment and lots of people are genuinely struggling. Or are you saying that are all idle wastrels?

I find comments like that a little unkind to the many long term unemployed who are desperate to find work.

There is not plenty of work if you look for it, Australia has high unemployment and lots of people are genuinely struggling. Or are you saying that are all idle wastrels?

Yes not a terribly helpful comment really. Like anywhere there is work but is much harder to come by in recent times as can be seen by the unemployment rate. I'm sure you will be able to get some work but don't expect to walk into a job, go with your eyes open and you will be fine.

My name is Nico and I am from Italy.

I read lot of posts on facebook about people who are really struggling for months in order to find a job in any sector.

At one time, it was possible to arrive in Australia and find a job very easily. Now, it's far more difficult. However as an Italian, I think you have an advantage - I notice that Italian restaurants and cafes in Sydney love to employ Italians!

The important thing is to walk into restaurants and cafes and ask - when you are a backpacker you can't just sit at the computer and post off resumes or phone up, you have to be there in person.

i agree. I used to get comments like that when I was unemployed here in scotland. It's so annoying, makes you feel a lot worse

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

From a Sydney perspective, there are quite a few job vacancy signs around the city for cafes and restaurants. Also found putting the CV on some popular job sites and emailing / calling recruitment agents to check if jobs were still active and find more info. Find it leaves a good impression before sending a CV. Found a great job agency Lloyd Harrington for marketing jobs too if anyone's looking in that field.

Good luck guys! :)

Plenty of work if you look for it :)

Do you have recent experience of applying for work in the hospitality industry in these cities? How did you get on? How many applications did you make? How many interviews did you attend. Can we please have some detail of your obvious experience.

At one time, it was possible to arrive in Australia and find a job very easily. Now, it's far more difficult. However as an Italian, I think you have an advantage - I notice that Italian restaurants and cafes in Sydney love to employ Italians!

The important thing is to walk into restaurants and cafes and ask - when you are a backpacker you can't just sit at the computer and post off resumes or phone up, you have to be there in person.

Or even, find a cafe that is obviously understaffed and offer to start there and then on a no fee basis for the rush hour. They will probably say no, but come armed with CV. You never know. I worked in fast food, and we got so many CVS, we binned them all and only used them when we were actually in need of someone.

Cafes are only interested in the young because they are cheap ! I walked in one week before last asked they said drop in your cv ! Dropped in my cv and they said looking through them Wednesday ! I went for a interview at a little cafe also 2 weeks ago and they said they have taken on now but will keep me on file for food prep when they get busier in the summer ! I will not hold my breath! Sat my barista and coffee art course ! But unless ya young or a amazing barista ! Then for me it will always be no ! But a back packer might be different!

Or even, find a cafe that is obviously understaffed and offer to start there and then on a no fee basis for the rush hour. They will probably say no, but come armed with CV. You never know. I worked in fast food, and we got so many CVS, we binned them all and only used them when we were actually in need of someone.

I have offered to work for a couple of weeks for free to see how I go and the answer is still thanks but no thanks so I've give up now ! Just going do my own little thing and see where it takes me ! :)