No one is replying to my CV in Sydney. I'm leaving. Backpacking is just misleading HYPE

Clyde

I've sent my "resume" to over 30 places that recently advertised bar staff vacancies, via gmail or gumtree, and I have not received ANY responses. Where they've asked for a cover letter or availability I've written it, and of course my CV statement mentions I have NSW RSA. I'm desperate for a rejection at this point rather than radio silence.

In some cases I've even sent my CV ten minutes before the advert posting, so it's not like I'm too late or anything. I also have a year of a bartending experience.

I guess this happens to many people, but you only ever hear of the success stories which give an extremely skewed perspective. Therefore I'm writing this to let others know failure can be a reality.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO TO EUROPE, POMS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try some of the backpacking facebook pages because some of them are really good at helping other people out with work ideas or if someone's leaving their job. It's maybe just not the best time of the year although I do keep reading people saying everywheres really quiet for jobs these days so im a bit worried about that.

I've sent my "resume" to over 30 places that recently advertised bar staff vacancies, via gmail or gumtree, and I have not received ANY responses.

Frankly, I didn't even know pubs hired backpackers that way. Are they really advertising for short-term hires or do they really want permanent staff?

Both my nieces got all their bar/café work by trudging the pavements and walking into places to ask.

Try the cafe's bars and restaurants around Kings Cross and Darlinghurst. There are loads of them staffed by backpackers. Don't be sending a resume though, you have to go in and ask. Other backpackers places and local noticeboards usually have vacancies. Didn't you do any research and think how you might get a job?

Bar work in Sydney is a massively competitive place, there's probably 40 jobs a week going and ten to a hundred times that of people applying.

Don't be afraid to over sell yourself if you're applying online and like the others said stalk the streets and go in, in person, might be worth considering looking at other areas though, often a good motto is holiday in the nice places, work in the more out of the way places.

Those talking about asking in person uninvited, you are worse than the misleading hype. That never works.

Regarding the niece anecdote, I've noticed girls have a much higher chance of employment. Lots of female preference here asking for 'hostess' or 'barmaid'. Regardless, the nieces are a case study representative of >0.01% of backpacker employment.

If anyone is reading this thread, please dear god keep your £1000+ for Europe you are 10000x better off, or go ahead and make the same mistake as me.

Those talking about asking in person uninvited, you are worse than the misleading hype. That never works.

Regarding the niece anecdote, I've noticed girls have a much higher chance of employment. Lots of female preference here asking for 'hostess' or 'barmaid'. Regardless, the nieces are a case study representative of >0.01% of backpacker employment.

If anyone is reading this thread, please dear god keep your £1000+ for Europe you are 10000x better off, or go ahead and make the same mistake as me.

Pardon me but going to places and asking does actually work. I know many who have secured work that way. We have employed many backpackers on our vineyard who have just fronted up to the farm and asked for work. Give it a try and with the right attitude you just might strike it lucky. Good luck.

The Hospitality industry does not care about your CV !

You need to go to every bar and restaurant where you want to work and sell yourself. Also look out for ads in their windows. Often you will have to do a trial shift usually of 2 - 4 hours for all to see if your up to the job and your face fits. Its fair to say that Bars require the RSA but don't let that put you off asking if you don't yet have it.

It's all about auditioning not what you can write down.

I've sent my "resume" to over 30 places that recently advertised bar staff vacancies, via gmail or gumtree, and I have not received ANY responses. Where they've asked for a cover letter or availability I've written it, and of course my CV statement mentions I have NSW RSA. I'm desperate for a rejection at this point rather than radio silence.

In some cases I've even sent my CV ten minutes before the advert posting, so it's not like I'm too late or anything. I also have a year of a bartending experience.

I guess this happens to many people, but you only ever hear of the success stories which give an extremely skewed perspective. Therefore I'm writing this to let others know failure can be a reality.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GO TO EUROPE, POMS

This is true for most countries from experience

The Hospitality industry does not care about your CV !

You need to go to every bar and restaurant where you want to work and sell yourself. Also look out for ads in their windows. Often you will have to do a trial shift usually of 2 - 4 hours for all to see if your up to the job and your face fits. Its fair to say that Bars require the RSA but don't let that put you off asking if you don't yet have it.

It's all about auditioning not what you can write down.

Guest The Pom Queen

If you have that attitude it won't. @PommyPaul has worked and travelled around Australia now for many years (sorry Paul I can't remember how long you have been on the road) and I can't ever remember him without a job.

In Cairns the competition is tight so you do need to go in. I would even suggest making a bar/cafe your regular and get to know them and then ask for a job.

Also try non tourist areas, Cairns is tight on the job front right now but Townsville has lots. Remember down South it is out of season, head North.

As someone that has worked hospitality and seen what happens to walk ins ("we'll call you later!", CV in the bin, no trial), all I can say is good luck to future backpackers who buy into this thread's replies :')

300 backpackers failed and never talked about it again, don't let the lucky 1 backpacker that probably had some advantage or connection they fail to mention to sound "anything is achievable".

I wouldn't employ someone with that attitude !!

As someone that has worked hospitality and seen what happens to walk ins ("we'll call you later!", CV in the bin, no trial), all I can say is good luck to future backpackers who buy into this thread's replies :')

300 backpackers failed and never talked about it again, don't let the lucky 1 backpacker that probably had some advantage or connection they fail to mention to sound "anything is achievable".

I wouldn't employ someone with that attitude !!

I don't think many people would.

To the OP - you have been given sound advice as to how to find the type of work you want. If you elect not to take it that advice - more fool you. It isn't going to bother anyone on here if you get a job or not.

Jeeze and I thought I was negative. Well try another area then. Also there's some hostels that will let you work 2 hours in exchange for your accommodation and sometimes food which saves quite a lot of money. I've just got a reply from one in sydney saying I've to contact them once im there and they'll see if they can help

Guest The Pom Queen
Jeeze and I thought I was negative. Well try another area then. Also there's some hostels that will let you work 2 hours in exchange for your accommodation and sometimes food which saves quite a lot of money. I've just got a reply from one in sydney saying I've to contact them once im there and they'll see if they can help

Stacey you will find a job because you have such a positive outlook on life and a can do attitude. Plus with all the contacts you have on here you will never be without a roof over your head.

OK here's the thing.....

If a person is sending out a large number of applications and getting nowhere they are either applying for the wrong job (something they have no realistic chance of getting) or, they are applying for the right job in the wrong way.

if they then improve their applications and get further, for example an interview, but failing (repeatedly) at that point they are doing some thing wrong at that stage.

Time to reavaluate your approach and attitude.

PS: I agree for casual hospitality work walk in, with a short one page CV, with your basic details and experience. In that type of work presentation and appearance are the main 'qualification' obviously no one will say that but we all know it's true.

Working with the the public requires patience and charm ...... anyone who doesn't display those, plus good humour and happy disposition, has no chance.

Look up places you are going to apply to on Trip Advisor, that will give insight about how their customers see them.

By the way I have no patience, my appearance leaves a lot to be desired, and I don't have a happy disposition but......... I do have respect for my customers, I appreciate they work hard for their money and, if they choose to spend it with me, that means I pay the bills and live well.... that gives me a very happy disposition and acting patient and happy is not that hard.

As for my appearance, I am self employed so people have to put with that : -)

Edited by Country vic

Stacey you will find a job because you have such a positive outlook on life and a can do attitude. Plus with all the contacts you have on here you will never be without a roof over your head.

I don't know if Id say it's positive but it's a lot better than it used to be lol. The OP is right in that some places do just bin cv's but a lot of places do actually prefer you to go in for a chat. I think your advice about making it your local was good too. Then they'll remember your face. I think a lot is who you know too. I'm obviously not over there yet but I've found so far on facebook backpackers are very good at helping each other out. Some have sent me names of places to try out, I've had 2 girls send me details of au pair agencies to try and also people on here have been very helpful too, someone (forgot their name) sent me a list of country pubs that take on backpackers. I could send them to the OP If he wants to move away from Sydney. I'll have to go check the PM again, it might only have been for WA but I've noticed quite a few NSW ones on other websites. Hopefully you find something soon, maybe Sydney's just not the best place at the moment. Might be better in October or November