Backpack or suitcase?

Guest51810

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get a soft bag on wheels, something like this maybe?

http://www.kipling.com/uk-en/luggage/type/wheeled-luggage-1/teagan-l-k13117d6000-999.html

Backpacks are a pain and I think it is harder to access your stuff quickly without emptying the whole thing I mean.

When I did my gap year in my 30s, I didn't really want to look like a backpacker, but then you are younger and maybe don't mind.. :wink:

As you know, I'm a backpacker, don't own a suitcase. Even if you have a case you're going to have to heft it around every now and then - and that could be even worse for your back than a pack. There are easy ways of getting a pack on which won't put stress on your back and if you have a proper fitting pack, the weight is carried more on your hips than your back - but proper fitting is key (good waist belt and chest strap essential). Packing light is good - put everything you want to pack on the bed then discard half!

I reckon you're much more mobile with a pack - just watch people wrangling cases on the Tube to see how hard they can be. Personally I find them much more useful and I'm mindful that because I'm carrying it I keep things to a minimum and don't cart around a load of stuff I don't need (posting things home when you're done with them) is a good ploy. Packs also leave you with free hands which is a bonus especially if you're managing documents and all.

My my mantra is not to worry, there's nothing that a passport and a credit card won't fix!

Edited by Quoll

As you know, I'm a backpacker, don't own a suitcase. Even if you have a case you're going to have to heft it around every now and then - and that could be even worse for your back than a pack. There are easy ways of getting a pack on which won't put stress on your back and if you have a proper fitting pack, the weight is carried more on your hips than your back - but proper fitting is key (good waist belt and chest strap essential). Packing light is good - put everything you want to pack on the bed then discard half!

My my mantra is not to worry, there's nothing that a passport and a credit card won't fix!

Ahh you've confused me now lol. Next time I'm in glasgow I'll go to the backpack shop and try a few on!

I'd say that one is too big. My pack is 45l with a 15l day pack that zips on/off when needed. It's a few years old now so I can't find a link. Remember you're not going to be travelling constantly, so don't need to carry every you'll ever need. You can do regular laundry and top up on toiletries, cosmetics etc.

Edited by vickyplum

Oh. I didn't think it was that big. There was another one that was much bigger than that lol. The smaller one is double the price for some reason. I'll get to look properly next week when I'm off work

Way too big! 65 litres is ample. You wouldn't be able to carry that one fully laden!

Mine is an early version of this http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/packs-and-bags/entrada-pack-v2-midnight-blue-1.html

and I'm a short elderly lady. I rarely use the clip on pack and can generally get all I need in the big pack - I have a

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/all/dp-78537/sk-179014/womens-airzone-z-nd-18?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productsearch&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-46sBRD7x6P0stibwbsBEiQAoMi4ZrsNz8aMbXwkBWWcgO6vtCQ51Lh7cSPG5U-5-UEF75oaAqCg8P8HAQ

for every day - I use it as a handbag because my shoulders are shot from heavy handbags. I love the Lowe and will look for a big brother if my Kathmandu ever bites the dust.

edited to say, if you do get a backpack, choose it with your back and not your eyes or your wallet!

Edited by Quoll

Way too big! 65 litres is ample. You wouldn't be able to carry that one fully laden!

Mine is an early version of this http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/packs-and-bags/entrada-pack-v2-midnight-blue-1.html

and I'm a short elderly lady. I rarely use the clip on pack and can generally get all I need in the big pack - I have a

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/all/dp-78537/sk-179014/womens-airzone-z-nd-18?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productsearch&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-46sBRD7x6P0stibwbsBEiQAoMi4ZrsNz8aMbXwkBWWcgO6vtCQ51Lh7cSPG5U-5-UEF75oaAqCg8P8HAQ

for every day - I use it as a handbag because my shoulders are shot from heavy handbags. I love the Lowe and will look for a big brother if my Kathmandu ever bites the dust.

edited to say, if you do get a backpack, choose it with your back and not your eyes or your wallet!

Thanks quoll. I've heard Kathmandu are good. Im going into glasgow next week so I'll pop into one of the shops and ask them to let me try a few on with some weight in it

Thanks quoll. I've heard Kathmandu are good. Im going into glasgow next week so I'll pop into one of the shops and ask them to let me try a few on with some weight in it

Hubbie adores all things Kathmandu and to be fair everything he has had from there has stood up to travelling abuse and the test of time. His excitement was almost uncontainable when he recently realised he could buy their stuff from Amazon !

Lol I'm not usually one of those girls who pack like 15 pairs of shoes but I seriously doubt Id be able to get it in a carry on. I've checked with etihad website and they give you 30kg but obviously I don't want to take that. I'll probably end up eventually buying stuff over there, just tshirts with Kmart etc

really like the look of that one @parleycross. Mine is a similar style - as it that it zips all the way around and has a side carrying handle, but this looks a lot more simple with less bits to get caught up!

Thanks Vicky. It is great.

I bought it before I did a 5 week holiday around Western Europe and only took that bag.

It makes travelling heaps easier if you learn not to check luggage.

You need the right bag, the right clothes and know how to pack your bag properly.

I was converted by a friend of mine who also does it with his wife.

Can some one teach me.. I'm actually a lot better than I used to be. I bought a little backpack for work and I can fit 3 days worth of stuff in it.

My mum used to pack stuff that would be for 4 weeks rather than 2 weeks but she just uses a small backpack too now. I'm really surprised. But where she goes is my aunts flat in Italy so it has a washing machine, iron etc. She doesn't have to take much