Travel insurance

Guest51810

Hey

can anybody recommend backpacker travel insurance?

Im not sure if I have to mention these but I used to have asthma growing up but I haven't used a inhaler for a really long time. The only medication im on is thyroxine so nothing serious. Could I get away with just a normal insurance and not mention them?

I haven't needed a inhaler since I was younger. I found myself getting wheezy again last year but it got better once I started exercising a bit more. I'll mention it when I'm at the doctors and see if I need to get one. It's not like it's a big deal, I can afford a inhaler lol.

I didn't get a chance to look properly Kayleigh, going to do it this week. There was one that looked alright but I forgot the name. I've read someone mentioned go Colombus too

I don't suffer from asthma in the UK ... However i have had a few attacks in places of high humidity. (I'm thinking Cairns) But... If you can buy one over the counter that shouldn't be an issue. It's better to have one though.

Being able to buy one over the counter is little use in the middle of an attack.

I'll get one before I go. My mum thought that the heat might make me worse too. I think it's mostly just that I'm unfit and it also happens just after I've had a cold and got rid of it. I did have it quite bad growing up though and I had pneumonia a few times too. Falling apart haha

One piece of advice, do look around for reputable travel insurance from a big and recognised company like Zurich etc as whilst it may cost a little more, if you do ever need it you will find it very very worthwhile. Some horror stories out there from people needing medical treatment and repatriation on cheapo travel insurances.

I'm not sure how the Medicare thing works, hopefully someone will answer that for us!

Are you planning on staying 2 years then? I was going to go on a one way but I've been told it's really expensive from over there so probably best for me to just get the return

Im not bothering with travel insurance, i dont have a return flight so not many cover me... medicare covers me for free as far as i was aware?? When i was looking i was getting quotes for over £200!!

Yes, if you are from the UK you are covered by the Medicare reciprocal agreement - Medicare isn't free, it's not like the NHS - it's not free to residents either but it's not incredibly expensive.

I think it is very risky to not have travel insurance - medical costs are only part of what it covers, so you would need to think about missed flights, personal belongings cover etc. too. Even if you are prepared to take your chances on that there are some 'worst case' scenarios to consider. Let's say you had a very serious accident and were left paralysed - how would you get home? What would happen when your visa expired? What if you died? Do you have family that would want you home?

Bear in mind things like ambulances, dentists etc. are not covered by medicare - almost all Australian residents have insurance for these. The problem is as well because of that charges are astronomical.

Also a year or two is a long time but the reciprocal cover isn't the same as full medicare and only covers treatment that cannot wait until you return to the UK - basically it is emergency care only.

Obviously everyone has a different appetite for risk but if it was me I would want insurance.

• 2 weeks later...

I've found one with Go walkabout that seems quite good for £200 but i need to find out how much extra it'll cost once I mention that I had asthma and that im on the lowest dose of thyroxine. I don't even know why I've got to mention either of them - i don't have a inhaler and im on 25mg of thyroxine because I came up borderline and i said i would try them. Half the time i forget to take them for a few days! My mum still thinks asthma might come back with the heat, she could be right.