Help about 2nd year visa

debbie lawrence

Hi everyone wonder if anyone can help, my daughters here on her first year whv which is up in September, she's going to apply for her 2nd year but is going backpacking round Europe with her Aussie boyfriend, if she applies does it run straight after this one runs out, is she better going to Europe and then applying for the second year? They have already booked flights to Madrid for the end of this visa. Thanks for any advice

Ah that's good. :-)

No she doesn't have to use it consecutively but she needs to be outside Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from outside Australia or be in Australia when the visa is granted, if applying from in Australia. That bit can get technical as if she is inside Aus then the visa will automatically activate. It happened to my cousin and she ended up being only able to use 3 months of her visa.

Hope this helps :-)

She does not need to be outside Australia for the second WHV application (that applies only to the first). But if she does apply before she goes it effectively makes it a 24 month visa so yes it will carry straight on. So to conclude, she should apply whilst she is away and closer to the time she wants to come back.

My friend did her year and then went travelling in Europe and then went back to the UK applied for work in UK to save some more funds to fund her second working holiday. So as long as she applies from outside of Australia then she can re-enter later after her trip to Europe.