Questions regarding job requirements

Bonoahx

Hi all

I was recently granted a working holiday visa and am planning to leave to Australia in the Autumn. I'm 18 years old, British, and am currently working in first line technical support in London. I have an apprenticeship qualification and some industry-standard certificates.

I was hoping that I could enter the same industry in Australia, but I understand that getting office-based work on a WHV may be difficult. I found a company called Gap360 which provide the same sort of standard orientation that most of the companies do however it is geared towards people looking for professional jobs. Has anybody had any experience with this company? Would it be worth paying the money to try to get a job like this or should I try and be a bit less picky and go for more traditional working holiday jobs?

Also, I was told by a travel agent in this company that one of the requirements of the visa is that you can't get a job offer before entering Australia i.e. I can't job search with Australian employers whilst in the UK. Is this true or is this just a sales trick?

Many thanks!

It is definitely not true that you cannot seek work before you get to Australia under the terms of your visa. For that reason alone, being lied to, I would give this company a wide berth. But there is a rule in life I would always observe, never, ever pay anyone to find you work. It is invariably a con.

Sounds like a trick to me. You can definitely get a job before you enter Australia, you just can't get a tax file number till you get there!

Haven't had any experience with that company though I'm afraid :)

It is definitely not true that you cannot seek work before you get to Australia under the terms of your visa. For that reason alone, being lied to, I would give this company a wide berth. But there is a rule in life I would always observe, never, ever pay anyone to find you work. It is invariably a con.

Thank you both. Glad to know that there isn't any sort of restriction as I was a bit confused, won't be looking into this company again (was wondering why it was a lot cheaper than every other travel agent!).

On another note has anybody had any success getting professional/IT work in Australia? Or any success with finding work in Australia whilst in their home country?