Minimalistic living for travel

First off I just want to clarify that writing isn't a massive hobby of mine, quite the contrary being a dyslexic I detest the thought of having to write, so hopefully no one here will judge my poor writing skills..!

To give yourselves a bit of a background about myself, I hate spending money on anything that doesn't involve adventure, enhances my experiences in life or travel. I don't understand why you need to spend money on anything else...!

As of current when writing this blog post, I'm currently residing in Melbourne, Australia, and this is how I'm currently living...

Bedroom picture 1

Bedroom picture 2

Bedroom picture 3

Bedroom picture 4

Not including the chair or desk, this is how I currently live.

Some might look at this and say, "WHAT! How can you live with so little?", whereas what they should be saying is... "Wow, that's how you can afford to go on all those adventures!".

You'll see from my Youtube channel "jackcranelife" (where I upload my daily travel vlog's) that I'm constantly doing activities, exploring new places... aka: Always being out of the house.

I purely see this setting as a place to rest my head, nothing more. When I first arrived in this apartment, there was an empty wardrobe, chair and desk. All I needed to get was a cheap mattress, pillows, duvet, a plate, knife & fork, hangers and laundry tub... So I ventured into the wonderful shop known as Ikea, spent around $200 getting everything I needed and plodded back home and started booking trip arounds Australia like crazy!

Because I spent so little, I was able to spend the rest of my money on the following...

- Cairns for $1000 which includes... Flights, accommodation, skydiving, bungee jumping, full day of white water rafting and full day of great barrier reef snorkeling. (Coming up on the 17th - 21st May 2015)

- Flights to Adelaide for $150 (staying with a friend for this one) (12th - 15th June 2015)

- 2 day tour of the Great Ocean Road for $250 which included... 1 hour surfing lesson, parrots landing on me and eating from my hands, see wild kangaroos, 12 apostles, amazing sights, 2 lunches, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, being driven round with a group and an overnight stay in an american style teepee (You can actually check out a 4 part video vlog I did on this to see what I was up to... click on a part to see each section Part 1 (surfing), Part 2 (parrots), Part 3 (12 apostles), Part 4 (Secret beach)

I've also got planned to visit Perth to do some Whale Shark swimming (searching round for some good deals at the moment) and other various activities...

So what would I say to those of you who want to travel, explore and live an adventure?

Don't spend all your money on thing's that won't bring true value to your life, only get the needed essentials, don't spend frivolously.

This is the motto I live by and keep saying at the end of every single video I do on my Youtube channel, and I hope it resonates with you...

"Be remarkable... Keep your life exciting."

All the best,

Jack

There is nothing wrong with your writing, Jack. I'd recommend you buy a little notebook - pocket size - if you have not already got one, and record your adventures there, as well as on video, camera, mobile phone. I favour 'Leuchtturm' books, which are dear - $18 I think, about the size of a mobile phone. I just measured it - a little bigger than my LG G3, and about the same size as my brother's 'Coolpad' (a Chinese phone, probably about the same size as the latest I Phone?)

The one problem with a note book is that, whilst nobody notices what you do on your phone, if you start writiing in public, some people are suspicous of you! Writing about your adventures is good practice too. 'Show, not tell', 'Active not passive' and other maxims apply. It's not just how exciting that your life is, but how exciting you can make it for other people?!

Thanks, I'll have a look into that! :) Nice little idea about people looking at what you're writing, I know I catch myself doing that too! :P

Could'nt agree more OP!Last year I spent 3 mths living out of one medium sized suitcase!Albeit I was'nt travelling around Australia.I spent 3 mths flitting between my Mums place and twins.I've always lived simply,the less I have,the happier I am!I didn't even unpack my suitcase,just moved it between two houses! Its surprising how much stuff you DON'T need when you really think about it. It takes me 20 mins to pack a suitcase!haha

Some might look at this and say, "WHAT! How can you live with so little?", whereas what they should be saying is... "Wow, that's how you can afford to go on all those adventures!"

Should they!

Whilst I agree with everything you are saying in regards to minimalist living and travel...............the above sentence does come across as a teeny weeny little bit pompous and condescending.

Everyone is unique with different wants and needs in this life. Just becuase someone thinks differently to you; does not make them wrong or dull. Each has their own journey to fulfill.

Otherwise sounds like you are having a brilliant time. Well done and good luck.

That's so true Flag!I'd rather on my death bed be remembering all the fabulous experiences/adventures I've had in life than remembering the new sofa I just had to have! I've moved around a lot in my life,and never had the time or inclination to clutter my house.

• 1 month later...